Need gearhead help!

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Need gearhead help!

Post by migrant »

I drive my car, want it to work, but know little when it comes to mechanics. Not totally stupid (well....) but I know many of you are very knowledgeable.

Narrowed down my truck choice to Toyota, their "Hilux Revo Double Cab".

Of course their are many makes, and models, and Toyota does a nice job with comparisons on their website, but could some of you comment for me.

Here is the comparison site http://www.toyota.co.th/en/model/hilux_ ... cification

I don't think that my choices will show, but I am comparing all auto transmissions (Mrs m doesn't do stick). To change the spec column click once on a highlighted model, the box is removed, and click on the one you want to compare

These three;

Prerunner 2x4 2.4G Plus AT
Prerunner 2x4 2.8g AT
4x4 2.8G AT

Thinking of the 4x4 a little since eventually would like to have a boat and the 4x4 may be handy to pull in, and out, of the water

All comments appreciated :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: Need gearhead help!

Post by Pagey »

I can't help you with your choice of motor but I think the expression for a car enthusiast is 'Petrolhead'. I read your post to see what a gearhead was !

Edit - I've just Googled it and gearhead does mean the same though I've never heard of that expression.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Pagey wrote:I can't help you with your choice of motor but I think the expression for a car enthusiast is 'Petrolhead'. I read your post to see what a gearhead was !

Edit - I've just Googled it and gearhead does mean the same though I've never heard of that expression.
Probably from my side of the pond only :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

'Petrolhead' is the British English equivalent to 'Gearhead' in American English.

I'd go for a 4x4 everytime for traction, safety and the ability to effortlessy navigate some of Thailand's backroads. But I've also found a Vios capable on some of the worst terrian too! I haven't looked at the site, Migrant, so assume that the 2.8 is cubic capacity (in litres) and that you'll get a bit more grunt to spur on the 4x4 system than the 2.4.

The main thing that I'd be concerned about is the drum brakes that seem to be fitted to most 'off-road' or pick-up vehicles I've seen in Thailand. You would only find these out-dated brakes to the smallest and cheapest cars in Europe, most now being fitted with discs all round. Check the 4x4 has rear discs as you'll want a lot more stopping power on both axles, especially if you're considering a future towing vehicle.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

OK, I had a quick look and there's a baffling array of model options but it would seem all the automatics are 6-speed with an electronic option to 'manually' go through the gears in sequence, up or down, if you felt like it. Understand this is still controlled entirely by the car and it won't let you do anything silly but can be useful for 'holding' gears in the case of towing, for example.

The 2.8 is a diesel engine while the 2.4 is a petrol one. This is down to your personal preference and driving style. You will likely get more torque with a diesel engine (again, good for towing) but you can't 'bump start' a diesel. Then again, you can't bump start an automatic anyway so that's fairly academic. I note, with despair, they all have rear drum brakes but they are all also incredibly cheap too. Hope this helps a little...
Wilde
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

J.J.B. wrote:OK, I had a quick look and there's a baffling array of model options but it would seem all the automatics are 6-speed with an electronic option to 'manually' go through the gears in sequence, up or down, if you felt like it. Understand this is still controlled entirely by the car and it won't let you do anything silly but can be useful for 'holding' gears in the case of towing, for example.

The 2.8 is a diesel engine while the 2.4 is a petrol one. This is down to your personal preference and driving style. You will likely get more torque with a diesel engine (again, good for towing) but you can't 'bump start' a diesel. Then again, you can't bump start an automatic anyway so that's fairly academic. I note, with despair, they all have rear drum brakes but they are all also incredibly cheap too. Hope this helps a little...
Thanks JJB!! Great help!! :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You can push start a diesel with manual trans without problem. I did it a few times with my 2004 Toyota Tiger pick up here when the battery was dead in the morning. Used 2nd gear, popped the clutch, and the engine turned over and started after about 30 meters of push. It was turbo diesel as they all are now and no idea if possible with the older engines with the glowplug switch that needed to be on for 30 seconds or so before start. My 1993 Tiger was like that and with no turbo you had to plan your passing maneuvers well in advance! :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

^^ Good to know, I may be harking back to the old glow-plug days. Hope I don't ever need to push start my 2.7 tonne Discovery anytime soon though :shock:
Wilde
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

You can push start a diesel with manual trans without problem.
Yes, correct. Tractors, trucks, as long as they have a manual transmission and wheels!
I may be harking back to the old glow-plug days.
I doubt if you will find any modern day mechanic that even knows what a glow plug is! Direct injection systems have been in use for many years, it was the earlier types with pre-conbustion chambers that used glow plugs.
My series 2 Land Rover as a case in point! :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!