What is the real reason you wear a seatbelt?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: What is the real reason you wear a seatbelt?

Post by margaretcarnes »

buksida wrote:Survived what would have been a fatal car crash here many years ago because I had a belt on - always wear it now.
Spot on Buksi - and I wouldn't be writing this if it weren't for a seatbelt either. Hit barrier on M62, did 3 somersaults and landed upside down in a field. With no belt I wouldn't even have stayed with the car.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Watch this - from 8:20 to 8:50 and then think about ... does the bus that takes your kids to school have seat belts and if it does, does anyone make them put them on?

usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I myself survived a near fatal car-crash here about 6 yrs ago..our seatbelts DID save both my wife's life & my own.
But this evening I thought about this thread during the two times I sat waiting for a green light at the Chomsin/Petkasem Rd junction..on each occasion that the Petkasem Road lights turned to red at least 4 more cars came 'barreling' thru' at high speed!
Again whilst sat waiting..one car came thru' the Jtn..driver on the phone, car full of people, & no headlights on!
Generally, us 'Westerners' are quite good drivers, with a decent level of awareness..BUT when you're out there surrounded by idiots with no sense of self-survival, then your seatbelt does indeed become a needy companion...

.... :thumb: :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Generally, us 'Westerners' are quite good drivers, with a decent level of awareness..BUT when you're out there surrounded by idiots with no sense of self-survival, then your seatbelt does indeed become a needy companion...
And the sole reason for that is; if you were to pull most of the BS stunts that go on here in your home country, you would, at the very least, cop a big fine, lose your licence, and very often both. Including not wearing a seat belt! :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Interesting to watch the daily dose of "whose been a bad person" where purported felons are paraded before the media, heads hung low and surrounded by a bevvy of smiling BIB, after having admitted their sins. Traffic or vehicular crimes seem to be low on the priority list.Certainly not those of culpable, reckless or negligent driving. Wonder how many people actually serve jail time in Thailand for serious traffic offences.
Better to wear the seat belt, surround yourself with airbags and if you do come to grief and end up rolled up like a ball, shunted or T boned you stand a chance of surviving it. If you do survive first class insurance helps too!
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Wonder how many people actually serve jail time in Thailand for serious traffic offences.
Four dead, ten injured = 7000 baht fine for the company, 5000 baht fine for the driver and license suspended for 30 days.

Probably no-one would have died in this 'accident' had they been wearing seatbelts.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/operat ... -7000-baht