new tax on vehicle

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
jammy
Rookie
Rookie

new tax on vehicle

Post by jammy »

Hi Guys, We are moving to hua Hin area in November from the UK, anyway we have looking at new cars on line, Toyota, Nissan etc. My wife rang one of the local car dealers today to check a price, the price was correct which was quoted on line but he said at the end of October/november the Thai Government are going to put a new tax on new vehicles of 20 to 30000 baht so you had better buy one quickly to avoid the tax. Anybody know anything about this or is he just trying to get us to put a deposit down before the price goes up, cheers jammy
PeteC

Re: new tax on vehicle

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

....I forgot to mention. New car sales here are in a state of disaster and the lowest volumes seen in many years. A lot of local reasons but no need to go into that. Bottom line is Yes of course, a salesman will say anything to lock in a sale in this sales environment. When you get here you should be able to find good deals not only in terms of added extras such as free options, insurance etc., but possibly discounted sales prices which is usually unheard of here.

I don't have any feel at the moment which models/manufacturers may be offering sales discounts. Perhaps others will add comments later in the morning. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Discounts are certainly being offered here in Korat, especially if the vehicle you are interested in is to be replaced by a newer model, even with just cosmetic changes. The Nissan Navara is a new model truck and a few months back I was offered a 50k discount plus various extras free. But companies change their sales pitches all the time, so worth looking around.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not much being offered here in Hua Hin by Ford. I considered part exchanging my 2.5 year fully serviced, well cared for, low mileage old car. Was offered 40% of original cost price against a new vehicle at full book selling price. I decided to drive away in my 'not so' old vehicle.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't know if correct but have been told with the new tax system effective Jan. 1, a new Pajero Sport diesel will increase by 70,000 Baht and a Fortuner by 100,000 or a bit more.

I would expect we'll finally see the used car tents emptied out as people hesitate to pay the new car price, but not all models and types will have a tax increase. I think for some it will decrease. Diesels it seems will be hit hardest. Pete :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

prcscct wrote:I don't know if correct but have been told with the new tax system effective Jan. 1, a new Pajero Sport diesel will increase by 70,000 Baht and a Fortuner by 100,000 or a bit more.
I was told by the dealer that it would be about 45,000 extra on a Honda HRV. I don't know if it's definitely going to happen on Jan 1st but I managed to get one delivered this week to be safe as I was originally planning on buying in about May.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Not sure if all manufacturers are doing the same, but Mitsubishi have said that anybody who orders by 31 December will get the car at the current price
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Yes, I think that's standard with all of them at the moment. I don't have confidence the new tax will last if the Gov sees that new car sales decrease by a huge percentage, which they very well may. Pete
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dannie Boy wrote:Not sure if all manufacturers are doing the same, but Mitsubishi have said that anybody who orders by 31 December will get the car at the current price
When I ordered, I asked Honda what would happen if they couldn't deliver before the end of the month and they were pretty non-committal about it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:Not sure if all manufacturers are doing the same, but Mitsubishi have said that anybody who orders by 31 December will get the car at the current price
When I ordered, I asked Honda what would happen if they couldn't deliver before the end of the month and they were pretty non-committal about it.
Obviously not all the same then, although Mitsubishi had actually put it in print in their house magazine, so maybe they are picking up the hit themselves to maintain sales?