Thai maps for a UK Satnav

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai maps for a UK Satnav

Post by Dannie Boy »

J.J.B. wrote:If you're anywhere near Soi 88, I'm happy to hook your Nav to my machine and we can give it a go with my UK VPN, it's up to you. I'm not sure what the MV crew can do but I'm happy to help out if possible. I'll PM you my number.
:cheers:
I'm going to leave it for the weekend and see if I can get round it by trying to re-register with the one remaining email I have or see if Davy B comes up with how he got round the problem, but if not your very kind offer will be worth trying next week. :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai maps for a UK Satnav - at last a happy ending!!

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:Re the latest advice I did try registering using my wife's email address but that didn't work, but I have one more email address I can use so could try again. I don't have a UK VPN so don't know how I could try that option. If all else fails, I might try the third floor at MV and see if anybody there can provide a solution. I've PM'd Davy B but waiting his response.
Thanks to all
Well it's taken nearly two weeks, but today I am the proud owner of a satnav with the Thai maps on it.

When I originally tried to buy the maps I failed using my own account so tried again using my wife's email address and whilst at one stage I thought I had been successful, the promised email from TomTom with details how to install never arrived and I checked my bank statements at least two times and no charge had been made against my account. A few days later I was checking my account and low and behold I had been charged for the maps, so I fired off the first of what turned out to be about 8 emails to their customer service dept, including proof that my account had been charged.

Two very good things that came out of it, first when I tried to purchase they had a special 40% summer discount that has since been discontinued but has been honoured and better still, the original offer only included for updates during the first year, whereas the maps I got include lifetime updates.

The only downside is that to install the new maps, their was insufficient memory left on the device so as recommended I bought a Micro SDHC card that fits into the device, but for some reason the device doesn't recognise the card - I checked that the card was working by putting it into a camera and it took/stored images so the card seems to be working ok. To get around this, I had to uninstall the UK maps and then when I next need them, I have to swap the maps over.

Overall, a happy bunny, and thanks to all who offered help :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:clap:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well yesterday I was happy, today I'm happier still. After failing to get my SDHC card to work I fired of an email to the TomTom customer service person I have been dealing with and he came back this morning on what I needed to do, which basically was insert the card into the device, hold down the on/off button for 10 seconds and I would then get a prompt "do I want to format the SD card", so press yes and it will do so. I then had to connect my device to my TomTom account and when I tried to download the Western Europe maps, I got the prompt "do I want to download to my SD card", pressed yes and hey presto it works.
I've read mixed reports about TomTom's customer service, but in my experience it's been first class.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That is very re-assuring Dannie Boy. However, even better, I've had mine for many years, and never needed to contact anybody about anything. I hope that now means you will have years of great usage.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:That is very re-assuring Dannie Boy. However, even better, I've had mine for many years, and never needed to contact anybody about anything. I hope that now means you will have years of great usage.
Yes, now that it's up and running I have no reason to doubt that it will give me what I need to help navigate the more remote areas outside the Hua Hin area, certainly based on my experience of borrowing yours earlier in the year I have high expectations. :cheers:
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

I have no experience whatsoever of satnavs but having just invested in a vehicle I have decided that I should really have one if I decide to go exploring. Jack& Jill instructions will definitely be a must have and in English.
Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere to buy one. Not been anywhere yet to even look, only bought the car at the weekend.
Do they need "Fitting" by someone more competent than me?.
Is there a satnav/dashcam combination article that might be available in Hua Hin?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have satnav in my car. I hardly use it now as Google maps is 1,000% better. Satnav, unfortunately is never up to date whereas Google maps is right on the button. Some weeks ago it even told me that the road is flooded in 2 kms for 1.5 kms. It was spot on. It will re-route you to avoid heavy traffic if need be etc etc.

I guess it will work on any smart phone.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Agree, and quite surprised there is even a market for such items anymore. If you're going to buy anything, get a Xiaomi Mi 20k mAh power bank ..... :D

Just picked up 2 on sale at Shoppee ฿700 ea.

Google Maps is an amazing info resource.
Last edited by laphanphon on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Now that you mention Google Maps/smart phone etc, how does it work? Does the phone have to be on-line all of the time? What is data usage like?

I ask because my satnav is nearing the end of its life (10 years old, so it's been excellent).

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Having used a stand-alone satnav in the past, I must confess that having an app on a mobile phone is much better. With the phone you can be online and get frequent (where applicable) map upgrades unlike with the satnav. Some upgrades are also downright expensive so the satnav app on mobile phone thing is the way to go.

Google maps is great *if* you have a data plan and have connectivity. While they do have a offline map capability, you do have to plan ahead and download beforehand. Also, only sections of where you're going, not the whole country.

I use something called Sygic and have for years. It's not the best offline map but all in all works for me. A one-off purchase of the SE Asia maps and lifetime updates for less than 2,000 baht at the time.
Get a windscreen mount for the phone and you're good to go. Has a HUD function but hardly ever used it, the novelty wore off soon enough.. :)
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:57 am Google maps is 1,000% better. Satnav, unfortunately is never up to date whereas Google maps is right on the button.
I'm doing some test runs using Google Maps on my phone. 1st problem(in the 1st minute), it wants me to drive through this wall that has been there a year.
DSC00714.JPG
DSC00714.JPG (107.36 KiB) Viewed 190 times
I'm sure this is just a local teething problem, and will continue to trial it.

[Edit] One other thing, with my satnav I could enter precise coordinates to ensure door to door navigation. I'd do this by finding my destination on Google Earth and copying the coordinates into my satnav, and saving in favourites. Is this possible with Google Maps?

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:12 pm Now that you mention Google Maps/smart phone etc, how does it work? Does the phone have to be on-line all of the time? What is data usage like?

I ask because my satnav is nearing the end of its life (10 years old, so it's been excellent).
I'm doing some test runs using Google Maps on my phone. 1st problem(in the 1st minute), it wants me to drive through this wall that has been there a year.
I've found while driving through Thailand and Malaysia that as long as you're within a wifi signal when you start your journey, it will give directions all the way to your destination even when you have no internet signal.

Regarding the wall, are you in your drive. You do have to make your own way to a public road for it to proceed. Personally, I've never known it to go wrong. Recently coming from the other side of BKK to Nongkaam, it was directing me down a whole host of small roads/sois only to exit a soi onto Petchkasem at Bankae. Because of the traffic and the work on the Sky Train, it had sent me on an 'alternative route'. If it had have packed up, I would have been very lost.....lol.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

[Edit] One other thing, with my satnav I could enter precise coordinates to ensure door to door navigation. I'd do this by finding my destination on Google Earth and copying the coordinates into my satnav, and saving in favourites. Is this possible with Google Maps?
Yes. In the search box on google maps, just type in the co-ordinates:

e.g. Degrees, minutes, and seconds (DMS): 41°24'12.2"N 2°10'26.5"E.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I considered that, but where is the degrees button?

Points 48; Position 20