The Pick-Up Truck Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Which Pick-Up Truck?

Post by usual suspect »

As you lot know..I do not rate HH Ford's service & set-up one bit..the staff are patronising & incompetant, the 'yard' is tiny & so cramped..hard to park your car anywhere within their compound. As mentioned here just now..the work-area is off-limits almost to customers (& maybe for a reason because I can only describe their labour as shoddy). :tsk:
I believe there is a Ford dealer South of Pranburi..if work on my truck has to be done by Ford I'm gonna try down there..??
After all this ranting tho'..I still like my Ranger..(& I think BB thinks his truck was worth the wait)..

... :cheers: :thumb:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's some Ford pick up muscle we can't get here. Pete :cheers:

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/

http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

usual suspect wrote:I think BB thinks his truck was worth the wait
Definitely
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You've done a few long road trips now BB. Any comments positive or negative about the Ranger's reliability, comfort, power, economy etc? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't have any negatives about my beast apart from the fact it's a pig to keep clean. I've recently done the trip up to Isaan and back followed immediately by showing friends around the Hua Hin area. There's been no chance to clean it for 2 weeks, and I think I could plant things in the muck on the outside.

Comfort wise, I've never driven a more comfortable vehicle. It's like riding along in a big armchair.

It easily holds whatever speed I want. The previous time I went up to Isaan, I was in a rented people carrier, and it really struggled up some of the hills, and the engine was screaming to maintain a steady 120. This beast just laughs at any hill. I usually drive between 120 and 130 here in LOS, although my foot has slipped a couple of times, and I've found myself cruising at 140. OK, by UK standards, that would be considered slow, but I think it's plenty fast enough here. The latest trip had 5 people on board and a substantial load of luggage.

I've driven it through a couple of feet of water (the literature says it laughs at 3' depths of water), and it doesn't even flinch. It's brilliant when the bow wave just sweeps up over the windscreen ( :idea: I wonder if this could have something to do with my problem of keeping it clean :D ).

I've driven it off road as easily as normal road.

I've just thought of one negative as I write. There is a blind spot when turning right. The forward stanchion between the windscreen and driver's side window is quite wide. Turning right at night on smaller roads can be a bit scary.

Another negative when cleaning it - it's too big. I'm over 6' 5", and I have to stand on a chair when cleaning it.

I've driven a lot of cars in my time. Iit was not uncommon for me to have 4 or 5 different hire cars (all had to be of a larger size) in a week when at work, and I rate this car amongst the best. I love it.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Fuel economy - around town, at best I'd rate it as poor. Pattaya and back (with driving around Pattaya) was less than 7 gallons, which I was pretty pleased with. Going to Pattaya an accident had us stop, start, bumper to bumper for about and hour, and on the way back I took a wrong turn and drove around Bangkok for a while.

Points 41; Position 18
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote:and on the way back I took a wrong turn and drove around Bangkok for a while.
And I thought your SatNav was spot on BB....... :laugh: :neener: :duck:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The sat nav was, I just misinterpreted the instruction. It was something like, 'Turn left, and then keep right'. Unfortunately, the left turn was correct, but there were 2 options of keeping right - I took the wrong one :oops: . As soon as I'd done it, I realised my mistake, but Bangkok's road system is not always user friendly.

Had I been looking at the screen, as well as listening to the instructions, it wouldn't have been a problem. However, there might have been a chance of me rear-ending somebody on that busy junction.

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A new one coming BB. Perhaps time for a replacement? This one looks military strength. :D Pete :cheers:

2018 Ford Ranger Raptor confirmed for Asia-Pacific

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/13 ... ia-pacific
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Good idea to check whether the pickup you are buying (new or 2nd hand) has a timing belt or a chain....chain much better.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The Hilux is turning into a good looking truck again. Pete :cheers:

Toyota facelifts Hilux Revo pickup for 2018

Photos at link.........................

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/1 ... p-for-2018
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

i will never understand the proliferation of pick ups in Thailand.

Too big, and 99.9% of them have absolutely nothing in the back of them.

A fashion statement surely.

Chelsea tractors of asia lol
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Mine has nothing in the back most of the time, but when I use it, I'd be stuck without it.

Additionally, I'm allowed 5 people in the back, so I have a 10 seater vehicle. Great for taking the dogs to the beach. The last thing anybody would call me is fashionable :shock:

As for the new look Hilux, they've made it look like the new Ranger.

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I agree about the Hilux/Ranger look-alike. The selling point for me would be build quality and service, both quantity of locations and staff quality. Very hard to beat Honda and Toyota service facilities here.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^^^ It's the price and flexibility that sells to the Thai masses.

The bad thing is that the MIB love to stop pick-up's more than any other type of vehicle, especially if the back is covered. Just about every drug smuggling story I read in the papers has a pick-up involved. Pete