Minivan, bus and road accidents

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Minivan, bus and road accidents

Post by HHTel »

the car failed to negotiate a curve
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ ^ First time driving on the left is a distinct possibility. Add in darkness, no street lights, narrow unfamiliar provincial roads and it's not a good recipe. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Minivan, bus and road accidents

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:
the car failed to negotiate a curve
Car's fault again then.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Terrible accident at Flyover Farang Driver

Post by JamesWest »

I came upon a terrible accident this evening just after it happened.

A white Toyota four door pick up truck missed the turn at the south bound start of the fly over and jumped the curb, tore into a large sign post and flipped over and landed facing the opposite direction.

The front of the truck was completely destroyed and the front right tire and wheel was ripped off. The cab was smashed down and the driver, a white male in his 70's (? ) had both legs pinned under the dashboard. He had some head injuries and was in and out of consciousness.

I was one of the few people there in the beginning and the only farang and for about 20 minutes before any emergency personnel showed up I tried to reassure him he was going to be alright. I am not sure if he speaks English because he was very weak and not really speaking.

After 30 minutes finally a crew with hydraulic jacks arrived and tore the truck apart and he was freeed from the wreckage and transported.

I have no idea what caused the accident.

I might post one photo later of the truck.

He looked in bad shape coming out of the truck. I hope he will be OK.

This accident was the second one I came across in about 1/4 of a kilometer last night.

The first was also very bad with scooters smashed into pieces.

This first accident was delaying the arrival of the EMS. I was told this by a Thai woman who had a radio and was talking to EMS.

It was frustrating for me to see this man pinned in his truck just a few blocks from Bangkok Hospital and there was no way to get him out until the crew showed up.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Terrible accident at Flyover Farang Driver

Post by RCer »

Good job on stopping to aid the motorist.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Van crash kills 3, tour bus crash injures 15

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... injures-15

Three passengers were killed, including two Russians, when a passenger van careered off a wet road and into a house in Phangna province on Wednesday morning, and 15 foreigners were hurt when a tour bus crashed in Surat Thani.

The van in Phangnga was carrying 10 passengers - Russian, Indonesian and Thai nationals. It crashed into the wall of a roadside house at Bang Siad curve on the Phangna-Thap Put Road in Muang district around 8 am.

In Surat Thani, 15 foreigners were hurt, four seriously, when a tour bus plunged into a roadside ditch and overturned in Tha Chana district about 5.30am on Wednesday.

The bus was travelling from Bangkok to Krabi. The driver lost control during heavy rain and it veered off the wet road and into the ditch at kilometre marker 118 on Asia Highway 41, said Pol Capt Pichit......................>

The 15 foreign passengers, five men and 10 women, were trapped in the wreck and had to be helped out by rescue workers.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

No reported deaths with this one, but it makes you wonder just who is driving around, and what they are likely to do!
...............................................................................................................................
Truck rampage damages 36 vehicles in Ekamai area

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... kamai-area

A six-wheel truck being driven in a wild, erratic manner broke through police checkpoints and hit 36 vehicles, 30 cars and 6 motorcycles, in the Ekamai area of Bangkok early Wednesday afternoon.

Around 12.15pm, Makasan police received instructions to stop a white six-wheel truck which was being driven dangerously and causing havoc, and detain the driver.

Police tried unsuccessfully to stop it as it travelled from Phetchaburi Road to North Thong Lor and then to Ekamai Road.

Police finally shot out its tyres and the vehicle came to a stop in front of the Ekamai Bus Terminal.

Photos at link..............................>
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Addition to previous post. Damn lucky nobody was killed.
Drugged truck driver causes chaos in Ekamai

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -in-ekamai

The driver of a six-wheel truck that careened wildly through Bangkok's Ekamai area on Wednesday afternoon, hitting 36 vehicles, was high on crystal methamphetamine, or ya ice, police allege.

...............................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..
buksida

Post by buksida »

40 STUDENTS INJURED AS BUS DRIVER DOZES OFF AT WHEEL
At least 40 students were injured when their bus overturned and crashed early Thursday morning in Kamphaeng Phet city. The driver told police he fell asleep.

At about 4am, the Bangkok-bound bus was carrying almost 50 students from King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang from a camp in Chiang Mai province when it left the road and crashed through a roadside statue shop.

Several students were seriously injured and taken to a hospital for treatment, according to Capt. Chakrapong Jainakrob of Kamphaeng Phet police.

Driver Banchoed Boonchan had not yet been charged as of Thursday morning, Chakrapong said. The 42-year-old driver told police he felt sleepy and nodded off since there was no backup driver.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crim ... off-wheel/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Nereus wrote:Addition to previous post. Damn lucky nobody was killed.
Drugged truck driver causes chaos in Ekamai
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -in-ekamai
The driver of a six-wheel truck that careened wildly through Bangkok's Ekamai area on Wednesday afternoon, hitting 36 vehicles, was high on crystal methamphetamine, or ya ice, police allege.
...............................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..
So how good is your insurance?
...................................................................................................
Insurance woes for lorry rampage victims

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... ge-victims

The owners of vehicles damaged by a six-wheel lorry in a road rampage incident on the downtown streets of Bangkok on Wednesday will only be paid 600,000 baht from the lorry's insurance company, to be shared among all the victims.

Victims are required to file civil suits for payment to cover the remainder of the damages.

According to police, the latest findings were that a total of 41 vehicles were damaged by the lorry that careered wildly through Bangkok's streets.

The 27-year-old driver, identified as Ekkapot Yossiri, has been charged with reckless driving, drug abuse and fleeing the scene of an accident.

Pol Col Khajornpong Jitphakphum, superintendent of Thong Lor police station, said the total cost of the damage to the 41 vehicles was estimated to be roughly 2.5 million baht. He said the vehicles were hit across areas under the jurisdiction of Makkasan and Thong Lor police stations. Police have made arrangements for Syn Mun Kong Insurance (SMK), the insurance firm, and the victims to negotiate.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If those hit had good first class insurance they should have nothing to worry about. Their insurance will pay out for repair then they'll go after the trucking company themselves. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:If those hit had good first class insurance they should have nothing to worry about. Their insurance will pay out for repair then they'll go after the trucking company themselves. Pete :cheers:
Yes, Ok in theory Pete. But I doubt that the motorcycle owners would have any insurance, and a lot of older cars could well be under insured. In fact, cars over, I think it is 10 years old, cannot even get first class insurance.

Anyway, there is now the following. How a business decides to carry insurance of only 600 K Baht for third party damage escapes me. I only have 3rd party cover with my Land Rover because of its age, but I have increased that to 5 Million from the basic 1 Million, for I think it is 100 Baht per Million.

Truck driver’s boss will pay compensation to victims

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... to-victims

The company that employed the driver of the truck that careened along downtown streets in Bangkok on Wednesday, damaging 42 vehicles, has offered to pay the excess costs not covered by insurance.

The truck was covered by Syn Mun Kong Insurance for a maxim damages payment of 600,000 baht, which would be shared among the owners of all the damaged vehicles.

The total estimated damage was around 2.5 million baht, and police advised the vehicle owners to file civil suits to against the company to recoup the balance.

However, on Friday a representative of Chaipiwat Co, Suthee Butrprom, chief of the company’s transport department, said the trucking firm was willing to pay the extra amount and would also offer some compensation to all victims.

In total, 34 cars and eight motorcycles, and some shop property, were damaged during the rampage by the 27-year-old driver, Ekkapot Yossiri, on roads through the Thong Lo and Ekamai area.
Thonglor car.jpg
Thonglor car.jpg (42.77 KiB) Viewed 2926 times
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Nereus, interested in finding out which company you are using for your insurance? Most companies cap the 1st party insurance at ten years, but I was able to get that till the Saab was over fifteen years. I sold it because I could not get insurance I was happy with.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Miss the car; it was modified to stage three - 285 hp and looked totally stock.. Lucky bast**d who bought it... :(
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Well, the reduce accident campaign is not stopping the urge to kill oneself:
..........................................................................................
Day 3: New Year death toll soars to 199

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... ars-to-199

The New Year holiday death toll has reached 199 as the country entered the third day of the so-called “seven dangerous days” of the New Year holidays.

On Saturday alone, 86 people were killed, up from fifteen from Friday, 800 injured, up 66, in 757 road accidents across the country, up 77, Chaipreuk Sereeerak, permanent secretary for the Education Ministry, said on Sunday.

This brought the accumulated road accidents over the past three days, from Dec 29, the first day of the campaign, to Dec 31, to 1,961, with 199 deaths and 2,099 injuries.

Statistics from the Road Safety Directing Center showed there were 1,691 road accidents, 178 deaths and 1,755 injuries during the same period of the campaign last year.

Authorities manning 2,030 road checkpoints across the country have taken against 110,917 motorists for traffic violations. Of them, 30,646 had no driving licenses and 29,894 offenders did not wear crash helmets.

The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) also said on Sunday authorities had charged more than 17,000 drivers for breaking traffic laws and seized around 1,000 vehicles over the first three days of the road safety campaign.

Of the total 17,614 wrongdoers, 66% or 11,764 rode motorcycles. The remaining 5,850 drove public transport vehicles and passenger cars, deputy NCPO spokeswoman Col Sirichan Ngathong said.

Officials also confiscated 1,011 vehicles of drink drivers during the period, 810 of which were motorcycles, she added.