The SUV Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Buying a SUV?

Post by STEVE G »

musungu wrote:Are you people playing a GUESSING GAME regarding the new Fortuner or do you have any realknowledge about specifications?
I imagine we're playing a guessing game like most things on a thread like this, that's why you get it for free on a web forum, things that we really know about, we do for a living!
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

musungu wrote:Are you people playing a GUESSING GAME regarding the new Fortuner or do you have any realknowledge about specifications?
For sure anyone on this forum, not working for Toyota, is playing a guessing game. Like every manufacturer of any product, Toyota are playing a launch game; keep the competitors and customers guessing and stalling the purchase of a competitive product until theirs is ready......it's the established norm.

We can all guess the the new Fortuner will be better than the current offering. Where will it be better is the question. We all have our opinions but no fact. If the Aussies are responsible for design we can expect better suspension ( it needs it), a better appointed cabin, a more open space when the 6th and 7th seat are folded: i.e. folded down to provide a flat and open loading space. If I were looking at how to improve on a proven platform, these are the areas that I would look at.........but who knows.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

New 2015 Toyota Fortuner launched

Photos at link.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/62 ... r-launched
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Sorry - but I still wouldn't touch one with a barge pole......... :butt: :run:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Terry wrote:Sorry - but I still wouldn't touch one with a barge pole......... :butt: :run:
Well they're basically a Hilux and my Hilux is ten years old this year and there's still nothing wrong with it so on that basis, I would buy a Fortuner if I needed that kind of vehicle. When I bought it, I was going to keep it for ten years but looking at the condition of it now, I'm going to try another ten years at least. For me, reliability and strength are the primary requirements of a vehicle in a country like Thailand which still has a lot of bad and unmade roads.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

New fortuner has a botched up third row of seats, moved from side drop down which was bad enough to normal front facing seating but so ridiculously designed to compete with competitors. Still a pick up if that's what one likes.

I recently bought a Nissan X - Trail 2.5 petrol couldn't be happier given the limited availability in Thailand.
No diesel for me
Last edited by StevePIraq on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Thinking of Diesel, think again

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33254803
Last edited by StevePIraq on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

STEVE G wrote:
Terry wrote:Sorry - but I still wouldn't touch one with a barge pole......... :butt: :run:
Well they're basically a Hilux and my Hilux is ten years old this year and there's still nothing wrong with it so on that basis, I would buy a Fortuner if I needed that kind of vehicle. When I bought it, I was going to keep it for ten years but looking at the condition of it now, I'm going to try another ten years at least. For me, reliability and strength are the primary requirements of a vehicle in a country like Thailand which still has a lot of bad and unmade roads.

Steve did you ever see the Top Gear episode with the unbreakable Hilux. :D
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

STEVE G wrote:.........Well they're basically a Hilux and my Hilux is ten years old this year and there's still nothing wrong with it so on that basis, I would buy a Fortuner if I needed that kind of vehicle. When I bought it, I was going to keep it for ten years but looking at the condition of it now, I'm going to try another ten years at least. For me, reliability and strength are the primary requirements of a vehicle in a country like Thailand which still has a lot of bad and unmade roads.
Don't get me wrong Steve - the Hilux is a brilliant truck - I STILL have a 23 year old version (Same as Clarkson & Co tried to destroy) and I will never part with it - it's still going strong.

But nobody will ever convince me that the Fortuner is nothing more than a Hilux (Vigo, Veto or whatever variant you want) with a bit of metal on the back and with two extra ill conceived fold down seats which the new model STILL has.
They may have improved the ride a bit, but it's still a con - when you consider the price difference between a fully loaded double cab and the equivalent Fortuner.

I've said it - so I'll shut up now. :laugh:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

They may have improved the ride a bit, but it's still a con - when you consider the price difference between a fully loaded double cab and the equivalent Fortuner.
I agree that the double cab is a better deal, that's what I have but a lot of the difference in price is due to a different rate of government purchase tax and you'll pay that if you buy any SUV instead of a pick up truck.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

STEVE G wrote:..............I agree that the double cab is a better deal, that's what I have but a lot of the difference in price is due to a different rate of government purchase tax and you'll pay that if you buy any SUV instead of a pick up truck.
Well aware of that Steve - but even with the tax difference I still think that the Fortuner and the other pick-up based vehicles are a con.
Just my view............
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Terry wrote:I've said it - so I'll shut up now. :laugh:
Terry wrote:Well aware of that Steve - but even with the tax difference I still think that the Fortuner and the other pick-up based vehicles are a con.
Just my view............
Typical Spurs fan - never knows when to give up! :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

and furthermore :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
musungu
Professional
Professional

Re: Buying a SUV ( rate Fortuner/ Honda CRV/ Mitsubishi- Shogun and Chevrolet -Captiva

Post by musungu »

I have seen above many comments on the Foruner which claims it is basically a Vigo truck so can any of you experts compare the good and bad with the other subjects- as I need to order and the 2015 models are new and available.
Thank you
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Fortuner ............I've said enough already.
Honda CRV...........I'm a great Honda fan - have a 14 yr old Civic and a 2 yr old Accord .......simply brilliant cars for the money. The CRV has the same build quality and rides like a car - not a truck. Great service from Honda in Hua Hin. Would thoroughly recommend. However it is only 5 seats - but that's all you may want.
Mitsubishi Shogun.........Loaded with goodies for the money and a good all round truck, but no real personal experience of it.
Chevrolet Captiva...........Good design for a 'compact' 7 seater. Not as big as the other SUV's but much superior ride - it's based on a car chasis. Bought one new last year and it's been terrific - also has E85 gasahol option. Only one problem - the dealer in Hua Hin is shite..................

But then I've probably been spoilt by Honda.

If 7 seats are not that important, I would go with the CRV
If you need 7 seats occasionally then the Captiva is a better option.