Fuel economy and engine treatments

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Fuel economy and engine treatments

Post by Spitfire »

This is a subject I often contemplate about trying to get 'real world' figures and not just the bumf/pitch they present in the glossy sales mags at the showrooms etc.

We all know the local Thais are completely brainwashed buy Toyota/Isuzu and Honda for the status worriers.

But what's the truth here?

How economical is your car or pickup, size of fuel tank, auto or manual, year of vehicle, diesel or petrol/gasoline, cost to fill up from empty and let us all know if you've treated the engine with one of these 'pour in' lubricants that supposedly increase fuel efficiency?

Has it worked?

It would be interesting to gather the general thoughts on this and find out owners comments on what they have, as it would be good input for me and also for others thinking of buying a vehicle here.

For me, Mitsu Triton 2011, manual diesel DID (direct injection diesel) 2.5, 75 liter tank, 2200ish baht to fill from dry to full, highway driving got about 1100 km or so at 90km/h before treatment from a full tank, have been getting slightly more 'bang for the buck' after treatment in the realm of perhaps 10-12%ish.

City driving, a little less but still not too bad and not as bad as I would have anticipated.

So, yes, reckon they (treatments) do work a bit imo? However, don't know if there are any drawbacks to using them, feel free to enlighten on that one anyone.

In all, very happy with the pickup for the price.

:cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Fuel economy and engine treatments

Post by STEVE G »

I generally get about 850-900 km out of a full tank in a 2006 Toyota Vigo 4x4 four door but the only times I've checked has been when I've been driving up and down to Issan so probably at about 120 km/h for much of the journey.
I haven't used any oil additives for years but back in the days when I played around with a few old cars from the sixties and seventies, I found that PTFE treatments did seem to do some good on worn engines, particularly with raising the oil pressure and getting rid of a bit of cam rattle even if it didn't do as much for the fuel economy as claimed.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It is very difficult to compare fuel economy, as too many factors are variable. The exact same vehicle, driven over the same route, but with different drivers, may surprise you with the results obtained. Something as basic as the correct tyre pressures will have a big effect, or even how clean the bodywork is! After market accessories hung on the outside will also have an effect. The weather also has a big influence on results.

I guess that you are referring to oil additives, rather than fuel. You will get at least as many opinions as there are additives! Be aware that some of them MAY void your warranty.

Many years ago, when I was still involved with helicopters in Australia, we did some tests using "Slick 50", which is a PTFE based product, on the small Robinson piston engined machines we were operating. The results were positive, and at the time, it was the only additive approved by both the aircraft manufacturer, and the Aviation Regulator Authority.

On the other hand I had an early Ford Zephyr engine have a catastrophic failure years before after adding some super duper additive!

Rather than try and write about some of the options there is some good info on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_additive
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I really never pay much attention to fuel prices or what a car runs on as I don't drive enough for it to matter much. I still use benzine gao nung in my CRV as it is older and I'm not sure it was made to run gasahol so I pay pretty much the highest price per liter there is here (except benzine gao ha) and have to pass up many stations to find it as it gets scarcer and scarcer.

I never checked the mileage but I can fill up in Hua Hin and drive to Bangkok (Sukhumvit 22) and back home (south end of Hua Hin beside Takiab) on that one tank of gas, although it's pretty near empty when I arrive home.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

Ive never used the additives ,but have just changed wheel size on my vigo from 15 to 17 inch,i have noticed driving to chaiyaphum that i put 1600 baht in from empty and still had enough to drive around for 2 day i think around 1000 km by the end, i was quite impressed ,and i do also have a heavy right foot so on average 120-130 kms per hour
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

^ Never thought of or contemplated that actually, regarding larger wheel size giving better fuel economy.

The only thing that puts me off changing the wheels on my pickup, although many do customize them, to some designer alloys or just bigger is that the deal offered just doesn't feel attractive and seems like it's only good for the shop. Usually the wheel shop will offer you to pay a set given price, depending on the ones chosen, like 20-25k baht or throw in your originals from the truck and then pay like 8-10k baht for the change, the shop then sells the originals on at a decent price.

Thing is, if you ever want the originals back, say to get a better price if selling the thing, and you go to the Mitsu/Toyota/Isuzu/Honda etc garage wanting to buy a set of 4 then be afraid and surprised at the price of a set of which is supplied with the vehicle in the first place.

I also doubt that the quality of the ones being put on is as good as the originals being taken off.

However, never considered the possibility of better fuel consumption with larger wheels.

Hmmmm....... :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, a physics problem again. The vehicle goes further with each revolution of the wheels when comparing say an 18" to a 16". Those add up and translate to more total kilometers traveled per tank full. However, does it take more engine power to make that revolution of the larger wheel than it did the smaller wheel thus negating any fuel savings? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Also, you would have to be mindful of the decrease in clearance of the wheel/tyre to the wheel arch as the vehicle is not designed to have the larger wheels on in. So, you'd have to have those super slim tyres on it and not the Bridgestone 'Dueler' etc type unless you raised the vehicle up even further, which I question the wisdom of.
cozza
Professional
Professional

Post by cozza »

Wouldnt the higher octane fuel ie the Benzin 95 over the 90 give better mileage and damage the engine less?

I drive a Honda City 2010 1.6 and a 2000 Izusu Dmax 2.8.

The Dmax gets better mileage with the diesel but the 95 comes close in the 1.6 ltr City...the 90 doesnt last long.
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

i did not put bigger wheels on to save more diesel ,i did it to get more ground clearance ,i simply asked about the cheapest way to raise the truck and the other thing now is my speedo will be slightly out but it seems to drive a bit faster and also seems to use less fuel
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Spitfire wrote:Also, you would have to be mindful of the decrease in clearance of the wheel/tyre to the wheel arch as the vehicle is not designed to have the larger wheels on in. So, you'd have to have those super slim tyres on it and not the Bridgestone 'Dueler' etc type unless you raised the vehicle up even further, which I question the wisdom of.
No problems there SF. Your Triton which probably came with 16" can handle 18" with no problems at all. The well and arches, shocks and springs can do it. I did the switch to 18" when new with a Pajero Sport. If you want to go to 19 or 20", then you need to go low profile tire or jack up your suspension. Be careful though of your spare tire well. Since I changed the front disk brakes to heavy duty (large disk), a 16" wheel can't fit over the caliper. That means in my case I need an 18" wheel spare. The spare well won't fit an 18" wheel with a full size tire on it. You have to get an 18" wheel and a low profile tire, or.....change two tires (back to front, spare to back) if you get a flat on the front. :shock: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

:cheers: Prcscct, nice one for that.

Btw, When you changed the original wheels on the Pajero, what was the deal the place you did it at give/want?

Did they want the original Mitsubishi wheels off you in the deal? Or did you keep them?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Spitfire wrote::cheers: Prcscct, nice one for that.

Btw, When you changed the original wheels on the Pajero, what was the deal the place you did it at give/want? Did they want the original Mitsubishi wheels off you in the deal? Or did you keep them?
We gave the shop the entire lot as no need to keep the Mitsu wheels in the shed for years. The wife just wandered by chasing our dogs and I asked what the trade in was and she shook her head, but muttered she thinks about 8-10K total. You don't get a lot and the shops don't offer a lot as they know you're there because you want to change and spruce up a new ride. Not many are going to shop around for days as then you get less anyway as the tires wear and look used. The best route is dealer > tire shop immediately for the best deal.

Mitsu has seen the light it seems with the 2012 models. At least for the PJ, standard is now 17". Assume the Triton the same. The wheel wells indeed looked a bit empty with the 16" versions.

Also more going on with the 2012 PJ's....paddle shift, cruise control and more...but I don't know what the 'more ' is yet. Mitsu is leaping ahead in popularity also. In my part of the woods new Mistu dealers are opening everywhere. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: I rememberd one more change for 2012, rear disk breaks, but don't know if just PJ or Triton also.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

prcscct wrote:Yes, a physics problem again. The vehicle goes further with each revolution of the wheels when comparing say an 18" to a 16". Those add up and translate to more total kilometers traveled per tank full. However, does it take more engine power to make that revolution of the larger wheel than it did the smaller wheel thus negating any fuel savings? Pete :cheers:
On a purely theoretical basis it would take exactly the same amount of energy to move the vehicle whatever the wheel size but in practice you would effectively lower the gear ratios so you could get a saving if the engine is running at a lower speed when you're cruising, a bit like using an overdrive. You would sacrifice acceleration for economy.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Note most talk is regarding trucks and rim sizes but when I purchased my Honda Jazz I went several tanks on benzine and again on Gasahol91. Results: Gasahol about 10% less kilometers per liter but cost 15% less than Benzine. Results in 5% savings overall. All a pile of BS as with Gasahol I use more so what does the government accomplish with its fuel subsidy programs? That doesn't even take into account Diesel with Palm oil added. All that has done is raise the price of Palm oil for the masses. What about LPG that will have to triple in price to get near what cost is on open market. These government fuel subsidy programs are just a big waste of the governments money and drag on the cost of living here.