Is Driving a Car Enjoyable Here?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.

Is Driving Enjoyable here?

Yes
44%
No
32%
Sometimes (where?)
24%

Total votes: 25

buksida

Re: Is Driving a Car Enjoyable Here?

Post by buksida »

I voted sometimes, once you get out of Hua Hell and the arrogance factor on the roads here and get into the country driving becomes more pleasurable - down south it is a breeze, probably because most drivers don't have 'the big I am' attitude and take life at an easier pace.

Agree with the comments about night driving, it is very stressful and akin to playing a video game where you only have one life!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

One of the things I find very stressful is the disregard for proper lane usage. On a 4 lane, those in the slow lane like to straddle, especially if motorcycles on the shoulder. Some just straddle all the time out of bad habit. On a 2 lane people seem to pass with no regard for solid or broken line, around curves, up hills etc. They seem confident oncoming cars will pull over to the shoulder and create 3 lanes.

To me, travel on a 4 lane which should be relaxing is anything but, you have to be aware every second and anticipate. :( Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

lomuamart wrote: I've been in cars with drivers who reckon they're the best in the world. With those who get really angry with everything on the road, those who drive so defensively they hardly move and those who simply relax and drive not too fast. The latter category are the best and they make me fell relaxed - I could even go to sleep.
All of the above are foreigners who've been here for ages. For me, the test of a good driver is whether they make me feel relaxed. If they can, then I reckon they can talk about the roads here.
Yes, generally a good policy if you don't drive a lot. I reckon the trick to driving here is real time spacial awareness and hypothetical situation contemplation/anticipation coupled with letting the lunatics/children go past that think they are Jenson Button. I automatically believe that anyone that comes close to my car is quite possible of doing something dumb, and often do.

This is also a good approach as many vehicles, especially truck/lorries/buses, are badly maintained and prone to failures of some nature or blow-outs on the highway, no such thing as preventative maintenance here, it always amazes me just how many vehicles of all description manage to crash/flip over etc into the central reservation on a straight dual carriageway. :?

Personally, I'm not very impressed with the way pickups and cars are advertised on TV here, it's a freaking joke, you've got a bunch of late 70s disco rejects that are about 18 pulling skids and being irresponsible and that's projected as cool/fashionable. The pickup ones are even worse, some guy on his own thrashing the arse out of a two door pickup with a dragon chasing him or saving some dolly bird after breaking the land speed record. :roll:

Unbelievable! As all the want-to-be cool "market man" traders etc assume that this is normal and go hell-for-leather everywhere. One thing the locals are way to easily influenced by is imagery on the TV.

EDIT: I'm not even going to start on the bus or songthaew drivers. :shock:

:cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
buksida

Post by buksida »

Spitfire wrote: The pickup ones are even worse, some guy on his own thrashing the arse out of a two door pickup with a dragon chasing him or saving some dolly bird after breaking the land speed record. :roll:
:lach:

They do market those pickups like Porsches eh ... and for some strange reason they are usually the worst offenders.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

it depends on whether you get a kick out of sticking your hand in a bag of cobras.....its more fun than driving in the Middle East and India, but still has me reaching for my weed once I get home....
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
tarakandi
Banned
Banned

Post by tarakandi »

Well we could have hardly expected a positive post from you SM
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

oooooh another snipe

boo hoo
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

I loved the experience of driving there, I was quite happy to plod along in our car and look at the World around me.

If you liken the driving to the UK or other countries, then yes you are going to get up tight. I just chilled out and enjoyed watching all the idiots do their thing. IMHO, Italy is almost as bad for driver antics. :guns:

SM maybe you should have had the weed before you drove and not after. :rasta: :wink:

tarakandi The tread title is "Is driving a car enjoyable here?" that means both positive and negative views are being sought. Please don't try to inflict your rose tinted views of Thailand onto those who have a brain to think for themselves. :tsk:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.