Is Driving a Car Enjoyable Here?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.

Is Driving Enjoyable here?

Yes
44%
No
32%
Sometimes (where?)
24%

Total votes: 25

PeteC

Is Driving a Car Enjoyable Here?

Post by PeteC »

Driving trips I've taken recently have reinforced my opinion that 100km here is as mentally and physically stressful and tiring as about 300 miles in the West. Try to get to Phuket, Chiang Mai or Nong Khai in a day from Bangkok and I think you'll see what I mean, regardless of your age.

Driving to me used to be fun, a pastime, and something to do when you had nothing else to do. Top down, windows open, 8 track on, and just enjoy the road, the hum of the V8, and nature....on a Sunday drive with family. Here, it's dodge the dog, motorcycle or any of a dozen other apparitions who are oblivious to what a 2 ton piece of metal traveling at 100k can do to them.

I think the best financial move for any expat or Thai here is to buy a used car previously owned by an expat. They don't drive them much as it's too much like work, and they maintain them much better. You have to admit, periodic maintenance is usually a four letter word to a Thai.

I put a small poll on here just to see what others think. I think the answer is clear, but you never know. Someone may have found a patch here where driving is still fun. :( :D :? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Is Driving a Car Enjoyable Here?

Post by Nereus »

It has to regarded as a "challenge" more than anything! It does depend a lot on just where you are driving. There are are sections in the North that are first grade roads with little traffic. BUT, the main thing that I would say is that ALL driving has to be based on "defensive" procedures. One thing that I also try to avoid is driving any distance at night. A good example was the recent long weekend, when I left Bang Saphan around 5-00pm to come back to Hua Hin. The number of imbeciles on motorcycles on the wrong side of the road, a lot with the bikes headlight on high beam, made it one of the most stressful runs that I have had in a long time.

It also depends on just what type of car you are driving. I have a heavy SUV with disc brakes all round, a V8 engine that will give when asked and a high driving seat that provides good vision.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I'll go for sometimes; a gentle meander through the pineapples to have lunch at Pranburi or Dolphin Bay is a 'yes', trying to find some vague relatives abode on the outskirts of Bangkok is a definate 'no'.
As mentioned above, some of the easiest driving I've done is up in the NE where they have some long straight roads with almost no traffic on them and are actually less stressfull than driving in Europe.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I agree 100% Nereus, including the part about the high visibility, weight and power. :thumb:

I throw out a related question. I changed from 16" to 18" wheels/tires, but I didn't change the front wheel disks to heavy duty/larger. I don't like the way this Mitsu brakes. You or anyone think changing to a larger front disk is better/safer? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

2nd attempt (lost 1st post)?

I went with sometimes, from my limited experience.

Bangers and Hua Hin are definite no-no's.

The area where my wife comes from about 100k NE of Korat is good where the roads are good.

But I really enoyed driving around the Bang Saphan area and further south, from Thap Sakae to Chumphon, especially the coast roads. The roads were generally in good nick, always virtually empty (apart from near Chumphon) and very scenic.

But agree with Neerus about driving at night and for the reasons stated - not fun.
Talk is cheap
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:I agree 100% Nereus, including the part about the high visibility, weight and power. :thumb:

I throw out a related question. I changed from 16" to 18" wheels/tires, but I didn't change the front wheel disks to heavy duty/larger. I don't like the way this Mitsu brakes. You or anyone think changing to a larger front disk is better/safer? Pete :cheers:
Pete, I read somewhere that your car originally was designed with 18" wheels and discs. The discussion pointed out that it was not possible to have both 18", due to the clearance required, so the disc would have been a bit smaller. If the brake system was originally designed for "18" inch discs, then it is possible that the smaller discs fitted to accommodate the 16" wheels have resulted in a compromised system if they have not been upgraded. The total "swept area" of the bake system determines the efficiency, so trying not to confuse the issue, I would be inclined to think that an upgrade may well be worthwhile. :cheers:

I should also maybe add that both the size, and the material of the brake pads is also a big consideration.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks, that's good info and in line to what I was thinking. These Pajero Sport's can actually accommodate up to 20" wheels from what I've seen in parking lots, not in print. I know off topic but can't PM a photo and don't want to start a separate thread so beg the mods to bear with me and I'll post a quick pic in the AM for your comments. :D Pete :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I am leaving on a road trip to the North at 7-00 am tomorrow, so maybe off the air for a bit.

I am just wondering if they have changed the calipers along with the 16" discs. Maybe worth checking on?
As it was a new car it should have factory approved components, but you know the rest!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

OK, will let it rest for now. Have a good and safe trip. Pete :cheers:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I've only driven in Thailand on holidays. Hua Hin to Chumphon, BKK (a little) and Cha Am, Tha Yang areas. Different side of the road for me, and lots of distractions, but no problems.

I've always enjoyed driving, except bumper to bumper traffic (Southern California gridlock!!).

This trip may drive HH to Phuket for some family functions and looking forward to that.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

i've voted sometimes & agree with steve g & caller, once you head away from bkk, east, north or NE, the roads are surprisingly good.
also coming down the NW roads from chang mai is pretty good too, until that is, you reach the outskirts of BKK :(

bkk is manic & stressful but so is most big city driving, especially a capital. :|
got to be honest, i wouldn't fancy being a delivery driver in bkk :shock: :D
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Yeah, driving can be OK, as said about away from the cities, and the roads are surprisingly good in many of the countryside areas. In urban settings then it is a nightmare mainly due to the spectrum of unnecessary hazards, the rabbit-warren style of planning streets/roads that were never designed for what goes on now. Not to mention the sheer contempt for all and inability to drive displayed by the locals.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I enjoy it and couldn't live here without two autos since my wife and I seem to always want to go to different places at the same time. I don't go out much and tried to live with one but it turned out that every time I did want to go out, the missus was gone with the SUV so I got her a car of her own.

I look at driving here like a video game (oldies like me can refer to the old Atari Asteroids game). Bikes are coming at you from all angles all the time and the game is to avoid them... can be challenging and fun! My biggest problem with driving in Hua Hin is finding a place to put the SUV when I want to stop somewhere for a while. Parking can be a real problem in certain parts of town, especially on very hot or rainy days when I don't want to walk a kilometer!

Driving in Issan is a breeze except for all those slow farm trucks and tractors that must be passed on two land roads, but I hate driving in Bangkok and always pick a hotel easily accessible to a freeway on and off ramp and just park the car and use public transport when in that city.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

There isn't a choice on the poll for me - ie, I've only ever driven here a couple of times, in Buriram. The brake cable failed twice and I simply refused ever to drive the vehicle again.
So, I get driven and reckon I can see things from a different perspective. I've nearly walked out of of a car in Chumphon because the bloke who was driving me was drunk and stoned and just didn't give a damn and didn't have very good night vision and it was pouring. He was an accident waiting to happen. I was having to tell him where the traffic light were, where the other vehicles were etc etc. That was stressful. Idiot.
I've been in cars with drivers who reckon they're the best in the world. With those who get really angry with everything on the road, those who drive so defensively they hardly move and those who simply relax and drive not too fast. The latter category are the best and they make me fell relaxed - I could even go to sleep.
All of the above are foreigners who've been here for ages. For me, the test of a good driver is whether they make me feel relaxed. If they can, then I reckon they can talk about the roads here.
Just my tuppence worth.
tarakandi
Banned
Banned

Post by tarakandi »

With the exception of Bangkok, I do enjoy driving here and I can't imagine living here without a vehicle.