Driving into Thailand

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
rikkitikki
Amateur
Amateur

Driving into Thailand

Post by rikkitikki »

Hi everyone,

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! I live in Cambodia and plan to drive my car from Phnom Penh to Hua Hin. Everything I read states this just requires a "temporary importation" form and possible some grease money but the information I have come across is sparse and most of it is for driving in the other direction. Any workd of wisdom?

Thanks,

Rikki
They throw their clubs backwards, and that's wrong. You should always throw a club ahead of you so that you don't have to walk any extra distance to get it. ~Tommy Bolt, about the tempers of modern players
PeteC

Re: Driving into Thailand

Post by PeteC »

See my other comment on the 'Police crackdown" thread. To add to that, make sure your car liability insurance is valid in Thailand and that it's written in Thai. You're also going to need an international drivers license as a Cambodian license only would just be another item you be fined for.

Awaiting advice from others, final comment would be don't even try to do it. Rent a car over the Thai border if you want to drive and do some sightseeing. If the main goal is to get to HH, just fly to Bangkok and rent a car there or in HH.

I envision you being stopped at least a dozen times enroute Cambodia>Hua Hin, and a dozen times on the way back. Sorry can't be more positive about it. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

prcscct wrote:.............final comment would be don't even try to do it. Rent a car over the Thai border if you want to drive and do some sightseeing.
Agree with that, sound advice. What you've got in mind has problems written all over it, cannon fodder for the Thai cops. You'll be able to rent a car from a city close to the border and then it'd be easy to drop it off on the way back. Sorry also to be negative.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
rikkitikki
Amateur
Amateur

Post by rikkitikki »

Thank you for your honest opinions. That is exactly what I needed to hear! Did I mention my steering is on the wrong side, I am sure that also would not help, lol.
It sounds like I certainly would not be saving any money to drive my own car after all that harassment. I will take your advice and fly in the wife and toddler and take a bus/taxi with the nanny and the loads of "vacation equipment".

Funny how some things are universal, when I lived in Central America I remember getting bilked because my dark green car was listed as only green on the registration and not dark green.

Thanks again.
They throw their clubs backwards, and that's wrong. You should always throw a club ahead of you so that you don't have to walk any extra distance to get it. ~Tommy Bolt, about the tempers of modern players