Tuk Tuk Safety

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Tuk Tuk Safety

Post by Big Boy »

Its been a few years since this was last debated here.

On the 'Satukarn Square' thread, Frost wrote:
Thats true, and goodbye to the highest death rate IN THE WORLD (compared to the cars on the road). Thai officials are often claiming the high death rate and how it can decrease. Could be so easy to decrease it, if they really wanted it.
The above statement was made in reference to removing Tuk Tuks from the road, or improving Tuk Tuk safety.

I have to say that after many years travelling in Tuk Tuks, some with crazy drivers, I have never experienced an accident. More importantly, I don't think I've ever heard of a Tuk Tuk accident, let alone an injury.

On a very regular basis, we hear of minibus, motor cycle, blue bus and car accidents/injuries.

I ask:

- are Tuk Tuks really unsafe?

- if they are, where are the reports/statistics?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Interesting observation, I've never seen one in an accident either - apart from that scene in Ong Bak where they all drive off the bridge!!!

From my years driving (and riding) here I'd say pickup drivers that think they're in a Ferrari and motorbikes that don't know what side of the road to drive on cause the most accidents.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Where's Tuk Tuk Mike when you need him. Come in Mike, are you there? :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Hmmmmmm.......C'mon guys, let's not get too romantic about the moving death trap piloted by drunks that can't read.

In my experience most road users here seem to possess the same contemptuous apethy towards everyone else. Worse than the tuk-tuk drivers though are songtheaw and bus drivers, and are my pet dislike, but generally all public transport drivers here, along with the dreaded mini-van drivers, are completely useless and think they are at the Indy 500 and that that somehow aquires them face for some reason.

I've seen some tuk-tuks in accidents but agree, fewer than you might imagine.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think it was Pete who posted New Year's holiday accident stats the other day - no mention of Tuk Tuks. People may hate them, and nobody can deny their flimsy design; but I think statistically they must be amongst the safest modes of transport in Thailand.

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Tuked it now for 8 years and never a problem
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There are at least two different types as well. The 3 wheel version we're familiar with from Bangkok and elsewhere, and here where I live they use a four wheel version made by Daihtsu. I think the original use for this type is as a small goods wagons to shuttle things around a factory.

Here is type 1 (electric version):

http://www.pcd.go.th/info_serv/en_air_tuktukth.html

Type 1 as being sold in North America:

http://www.tuktuknorthamerica.com/models2.html

Type 1 as now being made and sold in China:

http://cn.countrysearch.tradekey.com/tuk-tuk.htm

...and the Type 2 version I'm talking about, although this one is a newer model than we have over here at present. Pete :cheers:

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There are plenty of the 4 wheel Daihtsu types in Hua Hin as well. In fact, I'm sure they're all over Thailand now.

I've also seen plenty of the 3 wheeled variations up North.

Points 48; Position 20
Arcadian
Ace
Ace

Tuk Tuk safety

Post by Arcadian »

When in HH we use a driver who has a Tuk Tuk and a taxi, He drives the TT like a looney but resembles a Morris Minor granny in the taxi!
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

My first ride in a Tuk Tuk in BK, back in the mists of time, was a real white knuckle ride.

The driver was wearing a second World war soldiers helmet with a swastika on the front and he seemed determined to do wheelies on the car park of the Trade Centre. :?

Mind, I was a bit pissed and decided what the hell. I was younger then. :wink:

When we lived in Naebkehardt we used a nice old sedate Tuk Tuk driver who always came when we phoned him and if you only had a 1000 baht note always said to my wife "catch you next time".

Some of them are crazy as a bag of ferrets though and I'm sure they are on something, judging from the way they drive. :shock:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There seems to be a common theme forming with drivers that are crazy, loonies and pissed; and passenger perception of being scared, having a white knuckle ride etc.

The things I am not hearing are reports of accidents or injuries.

Points 48; Position 20