Car Audio

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

Car Audio

Post by PeteC »

Has anyone tried to improve their factory installed system by installing a small amp to get more out of the speakers?

or......replace the speakers and install a small amp as well?

or.....install one of the small under seat powered woofers that also act as an amp?

I have a good Alpine base system which is also a Navi and DVD, but I'm not getting the rich sound I would like from the factory speaker system. Any suggestions appreciated. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

I dabbled with ICE (In Car Entertainment) a lot in my teens but have only gone as far as replace the factory 6x9's on the back shelf and the head-unit in the current wagon - sounds good enough now with that.

Mrs B wouldn't let me fill the boot up with the 18" bass-bin and 4 channel Kenwood amp!

You may find that just putting in decent speakers and cabling will do the trick providing your stereo has a decent power output, factory fitted stuff is usually shite.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

If your Alpine Unit has 'pre-out', outputs on the rear, you can connect to an eternal power amp (or amps, if you want more than 1), which will certainly improve both sound and power.

If it has 'line out', you can gfirst to an external Pre Amp, and then to Power AMps, giving you better clarity and control of the the ssound.

For Speakers, of course, simply chaging these will probably give a much more immiedate improvement (certainly this should be done beofre messing around with external amps). Using sperate low, mid and high range speakers, connected through a good quality crossover network for each speaker group will give the best sound, whilst not getting too crazy on cost.

Its years since I've dabbled with ICE, but I'm sure things have not chaged so dramaitically, even if you can now multi-channel Dolby whatsits, to suit your DVD playback.
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks. So far the plan is to go with sps-600 and 600c for front and back,

http://www.alpine-asia.com/index.php?op ... Itemid=301

....and maybe a powered sub-woofer under the passenger front seat. Holding off on any amp until I see how this works. The powered sub-woofer is more or less like a small amp anyway.

All of this is hooked to a pretty good base system:

http://www.alpine-asia.com/index.php?op ... Itemid=321

I don't want to go down the road bouncing to the music like Jose or Khun Thai Teenager, just a bit richer sound than what I have now. Hopefully the above will do it. Will report back when finished after New Year. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source