Sat nav systems

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Sat nav systems

Post by crazy88 »

In order to avoid the usual in car arguments and hopeless attempts to ask for directions or follow taxis that have no clue where they are going I am considering purchasing a sat nav system .I do not need bluetooth,mp3,downloadable games or any other extras .Just a simple system that does what it says on the tin .ie get me where I want to go .Anyone got any recommendations ?

Crazy 88
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

There have been several threads on this, but I cannot find them at the moment. For Gamin systems you cannot beat this place in Bangkok.

http://www.gadgetrend.com/
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

That of course should be: GARMIN :cuss:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Not the answer that you are looking for I guess BUT

For my 60th birthday, Mrs.T treated me to a new phone. My old one was 6 years old and passed it - a bit like me.

I have no commercial connection with Nokia but I can fully recommend the Nokia N97

Not cheap - around THB 22k

But - you get

A phone
A 5 MP flash camera with 2.8 - 5.4 Carl Zeiss lense
Video ability
Audio recorder
Games - if you want them..................
On line news and weather - if you want it............
Shitlodze of memory if you add a micro card
Full web browzing ability
Full qwerty keyboard for your emails
Radio and MP3 music player

AND

Full GPS with good quality downloadable maps
Location finder
Full navigation facility with audible instruction if wanted

If you wanted all those separte items - phone, reasonable camera, MP3 player and GPS it would cost a hell of a lot more.

It was a no brainer - but some say I haven't got one :mrgreen:

Anyway - this promo is offered without any reward from Nokia - just for those who are wondering what Santa could bring :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Just be careful with the battery! :P
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Nice one - yep it eats them

:lach:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've been using Nokia maps on a mobile with a seperate bluetooth GPS receiver and it's surprisingly good in Thailand, even out in the sticks.
It also has a handy facility where it will give you a relative bearing and distance to a saved position which I use for getting home when I'm out cycling in Issan.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Yep - the Nokia maps are OK.

An interesting thing though.

The maps of the Dams and rivers seem all to be made at low water level -and very sensible too if you think about it. :P

We have a Garmin fish finder / depth sounder on the boat - (Sadly one thing the N97 does not do) - and have noticed on several occassions when the depth beneath the boat is less than say 1m, we are on dry land on the GPS! :roll:

Also we have been on 'dry land' several times when going up the tributaries of the Petchaburi river :shock:

These trips being at the end of the rainy season when the dam is full and the water levels are all consequently high.

Seems these systems are pretty damn accurate - 'scuse the pun :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes Terry, the maps do sometimes struggle with the position of water features; there is a road South of Pak Nam Pran which is shown to be about 50 metres out in the sea!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Sat Nav systems

Post by margaretcarnes »

From what I've seen of them it's a case of spend as much as you can afford on a sat nav - then a little bit more!
Also try to find something that will stay safely in place in the vehicle - assuming you want one that can be removed easily. There's nothing worse than the damn thing sliding off the dash, hiding under a seat (or even worse, under your foot) causing at best the silly woman to do a complete recalculation, and at worst you having to stop suddenly. :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Sat Nav systems

Post by Nereus »

margaretcarnes wrote:.................. causing at best the silly woman to do a complete recalculation, and at worst you having to stop suddenly. :cheers:
And I thought that was "normal" driving for a woman :shock:

But you are right. A unit not correctly mounted is a driving hazard. But the small size of the screen on a lot of them is even more of a hazard, especially if you have to mount it up close to the windscreen to obtain a signal. I have an after market Garmin with a 7 inch screen, mounted on a "Ram" mount that is easily positioned, but not distracting. It also has an outside antenna mounted clear of obstructions, and never loses the signal. :cheers: