Death Race 2008/9

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Death Race 2008/9

Post by sandman67 »

rather than keep opening threads on this news topic I thought this year we could just do a running total:
56 killed, 635 injured in road accidents on 1st 'dangerous day'

A total of 596 road accidents occurred on the first of 'seven dangerous New Year holidays' Tuesday, killing 56 people and injuring 635 others, a senior government announced Wednesday.

Surachai Tharasitpong, permanent secretary for Transport Ministry, held a press conference at the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, the Interior Ministry, to announce the statistics of the first day of the seven-day road accident monitoring period.

He said the number of accidents was 156 higher than that of the first day of the monitoring period for New Year holidays last year. And the death toll increased by 23 while the number of injured people was 157 higher.

He said most accidents or 38.26 per cent were caused by drunk driving.

Phitsanulok had the highest death toll of 4, followed by Bnagkok, Chainat, Chaiyaphum, Amnat Charoen and Chiang Rai, each of 3 deaths.

The Nation
Seriously tho guys..... lets all get to see the new year in together eh? Leave the cars and bikes at home..... :cheers:

what is funny tho is this shows how Thais are useless at maths:
He said most accidents or 38.26 per cent were caused by drunk driving
No mate....100% - 39% = 61% .... therefore most accidents were NOT related to drink driving...... :D :D :D
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

A tricky nicety of the English language. There is a small but significant difference between "most accidents were caused by drink driving" and "drink driving was the greatest cause of accidents", maybe not one that is easy to suss.

But drive safely, have a great New Year and may your God go with you.
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

They only publish these statistics during New Year and Songkran. Those periods 90% of the heavy trucks with yah bah stupored drivers are off the road.

I've got a fiver that the normal weekly dead/injured are close to these holiday figures.

Of course we know there is a strong lobby of passionate old ladies and men who when not prostrate on a sidewalk with flowers in hand waiting for someone important to arrive, strongly preach prohibition.

I've read that since they've thwarted Thaibev from listing on the SET twice now, their next target is Nestle to get chocolate milk banned for fear it may make children too happy, thus uncontrollable. Oh the evil of it all. :shock: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I also hear that when(New Year and Songkran), they publish these so-called "figures", I think they only include the deaths etc that happen at the scene of the accident, and do not include those that later perish in the hospitals.

The figures will be greater in the rural areas as so many have fled for a couple of days of "rural bliss". However, it's harder to get accurate figures from such places. Went out to the "outback" myself this New Year for a day or two and the amount of chalk lines denoting the position of wheels of the vehicles in accident slattered all over the road at disturbingly frequent intervals.

The figures might not be dramatically different in the cities for New Year(as opposed to normal) as many have left, even if some arrive in the beach cities for the holiday.

Songran is a different matter.

Problems are speeding and 'tail-gating' along with the spectre of lao-kaow/Chang. Complete carnage in the idillic, sleepy wonderland.

Saw a few too many of these situations,

:shock:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

the latest score:
New Year road toll rises to 226

The first three days of the seven dangerous New Year holidays saw 226 people killed in road accidents, the Road Safety Centre announced Friday.

It said 2,329 accident happened on December 30 and 31 and January 1, the first three of seven days for monitoring period of road accidents.

A total of 2,504 people were injured in the road accidents, Deputy Public Health Minister Manit Nopamornbodi announced at the centre.

On Thursday alone, 851 road accidents happened, killing 88 people and injuring 909 other
88 in one day! Wheeeee....... :cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I would say that it's the "law of natural selection" at work but there are a lot of innocents killed by the drunk driving sods as well!

Very sad... :(
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

sandman67 wrote:the latest score:
New Year road toll rises to 226....
That figure along with the others are probably some-what 'conservative' to say the least mate!

Bet they don't include all the results from the 'outback' as they can't get them that quick, I don't believe it, and it doesn't include the victims that later died in hospital(as mentioned earlier). That figure is probably only the cities and motorways/highways(countrywide) but has to be announced in a conducive fashion. If you ever go to police stations etc in the rural areas, well, speed of action/service etc is 'pedestrian' to say the least.

The statement "Massaging the figures" probably doesn't quite do it justice here IMHO.

:cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol