Somtawin School. 80,000baht year. scabies. no toilets filth.

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
timego
Amateur
Amateur

Post by timego »

Not only will this school take the 80,000 baht year plus a lot of extras, but they will give your kids scabies and let them shiit in thir pants because the school toilets are all backed up and unusable for the last 2 weeks. The classroom thai teachers cannot even speak chicken english and the foreign teachers aren't really teachers but nevermind that just to at least give good grades and not pretend to be. Supposedly the foreign teachers get less than 100 quid a week so no surprise they are not real or even white.

The school closed down the younger english program last week for the week because scabies and they would not even tell quietly what kid had it so the parents could know if their own kids were in contact with that kid.
Mean chinese owners ought to fix the frigging toilets first anyway and put liquid soap or at least soap in the bathrooms because the kid is complaining how dirty they are when they work and they don't even have spray water (no toilet paper either) just sqat toilets and a bucket of water. Disgusting. The owners make such massive profits of the english program and really ought not to be so god damn mean and but 2 bars of soap a week or liquid soap and clean toilets or at least unblock the frigging things.

Your kids won't learn squat in this school but as far as i know there are only 2 schools in hua hin at the moment catering to foreign kids.
It says international in the brochure by the way but that is fake to charge more.

There is rumour of a fairly good bangkok real international school opening in hua hin but that might just be property developers rumours.

Sorry to be negative about the school but it is such a shameful embarrassing disgrace to hua hin and it's nothing but complaints from the half intelligent parents. Most foreign parents don't care about fake show just to do at least half what the brouchure promises in humane conditions.
Shameful somtawin school.
mil_dos

Post by mil_dos »

Amazing that there's not a real international school in Hua Hin. There must be the demand to make it succeed surely. We would have been interested but it's getting too close now to GCSEs (or whatever Mr Bliar's latest glossy, spinny name they are called by this week).
Some Bangkok schools and BCIS down in Phuket looked OK but they seem to think it's reasonable to charge the price of a large village for an entrance fee.
I've heard the rumours about a real international school here for so long that I'm getting pretty sceptical.

Good luck.
Governor
Professional
Professional

Post by Governor »

My kids had to stay at home following the outbreak of scabies, of course no refund for days missed, school bus not used or pre-paid meals not taken.

As was said earlier no clue if our kids were involved, so paid for a medical check up, for piece of mind, which was thankfully clear.

A number of parents, Thai and falang, have already taked their kids away from this "school" we are actively looking at options ourselves.
timego
Amateur
Amateur

Post by timego »

If it was in the recommended by the school hospital i would go elsewhere as it will come back with the usual "no sign of ..." no matter what. Also my English doctor said a simple skin test was the norm and he never heard of a "shiit in a cup test" for scabies which was what the school again told the parents to do. A thai doctor here said also he was not sure why the school said that. The shiit in a cup test costs a bit extra so either the school is just confused between scabies and worms or are just trying to make a tiny bit extra money for san pablo hospital and also confuse the parents into thinking there kids are clear.
The school of course won't pay for the tests or even a bar of soap for the kids. Shame foreigners can't set up a real school here as we're all getting fleeced by them chinese somtawin tricksters.

I'm guessing their is some reason for their not being a real school in hua hin along the lines of the somtawin owners having political connections to stop any competition so they can continue the fleecing because there is plenty of us parents happy to pay for a real school or at least semi-real.
I'm so angry at them somtawin mean shiits of owners and the political scum who stop a rela school opening here that i wish them a good healty dose of worms, scabies, sore throat, flu, fungal infection and every other disease and illness they have our children pick up in their dirty filthy shiithole of a so-called school.

It would be a great idea to do homeschool for my son here but again i'm told that is illegal to hire a foreign teacher to do that without going through some agency or rip off merchants that would mean paying double.

Looking at the figures: if there was 6 kids in a home school for 190 school days a year at 80,000baht/year it would total 480,000 baht or 2,400baht a day for a foreign teacher. No real foreign teacher would work for that so maybe if it was only a 3 hour school day and also it would likely have to be a retired foreign teacher who only wanted to continue doing some work to stay active.

But again it feels like we'd be doing something illegal again that way like with the buying a house. Thailand is all screwed up. If you Love your kids and want a real education for them and a family owned roof over their heads we as foreigners are pushed into going the illegal way which is so wrong for the country to try push us there.

I think the best solution is simply to move back to the UK.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

mil_dos wrote:We would have been interested but it's getting too close now to GCSEs (or whatever Mr Bliar's latest glossy, spinny name they are called by this week).
To my knowledge they have been GCSE's since the Conservative government got rid of the 'O' level system in the eighties and have not changed the name since. Our eldest did his GCSE's last year. Seems to have created a generation that knows nothing about an ever-widening range of subjects.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Re: Somtawin School. 80,000baht year. scabies. no toilets fi

Post by Burger »

Supposedly the foreign teachers get less than 100 quid a week so no surprise they are not real or even white.
Maybe you could propose to the school an employment criteria that all non-Thai teachers must be bright white ?

Burger
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Hi Burger,
I don’t think Timego was being racist although it came out that way.
I read an article in the Bangkok Post a couple of months ago about the number of Africans getting English teaching jobs on forged documents, pretending to be of black English or American background. Apparently, some of these people could hardly speak English, and were getting jobs through unscrupulous agencies in Bangkok that were even helping them to get forged documentation.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

I know of 4 teachers there, 3 are white and 1 of English/African.
I'd much rather my kids be taught by the latter to be honest.

If the school was full of what you describe from the Bangkok agency, then I guess he mean't that they are not properly qualified, as opposed to them being 'too dark'.

Burger
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

The Simple answer here would be to BOYCOTT the school and report to the relevent agencies at once
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
James61
Rookie
Rookie

Post by James61 »

Any real native english speaking and real teachers or even germans or western europeans who are not native english speaking but have almost perfect english are good also for children as they might have tricks for learning that they picked up as kids when they were learning.

Appart from bad english the children the children might pick up some of the negative atmosphere and actions of the fraud third world teacher and accept it as normal which would be simply sad and plain wrong.

It's not the teachers fault anyway as good philpeano's, indians just want to work and they are forced in their country to lie and cheat like that. It's the schools fault for being so god damn mean and greedy and filthy and lazy not to clean the school properly with clean toilets that actually work, oversee a decent quality of real education with real teachers that can speak real english and allow the parents access to see that they are really improving and not just talking out their ass to fool the thai parents as they do.
Last edited by James61 on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Same problems in the UK, shortage of qualified staff where needed, high stress levels, high leaving rates, not greatly paid, not given the respect due, lots arriving from abroad to take their place........Aussies and Kiwis do well.

Hope you can afford private as if you have been out of the UK for a while, you will find it hard to get your preferred choice - which is everyone elses, with long queues!!!
Talk is cheap
Thaiclan
Amateur
Amateur

School goes from bad to worse

Post by Thaiclan »

From what I can see of Somtwain it is the most shocking example of a school I have come across. I removed my daughter some time ago, but my friends kids were sent home due to a "scabies" issue. If there were "real" teachers there, they would know that EVERY school has scabies at some time or another. It is a simple bug, much less troublesome than hair lice! To ask the kids to "use the lotion anyway" was a very dangerous thing to do as the treatment can be quite harming to little ones.

Yes the teachers have a strating salary of just 27,000baht PER MONTH, so of course they cannot attract quality experienced teachers. This means on a lesser extent they pamic and close the classes over a common (and not very contagious) condition such as scabies, but on a much more important issue they cannot deliver a quality or even RECOGNISED education to the 200plus kids at that school.

Lots of parents have rem,oved there kids, but many keep them there saying they have no alternative. To me personally if the choice is between a bad school or no school (or the inconvenience of moving) then I will always choose the latter.
fremdulo
Amateur
Amateur

Post by fremdulo »

I came across a similar situation in the Caribbean, the parents there started their own school. It can’t be illegal here because there are several British franchised schools in Thailand. NB:
1.You need about six UK qualified DES registered teachers. Many UK teachers will come over here for less money especially older, experienced teachers who are fed up with government meddling, feral teenagers etc. The trick is to weed out the ones who want to come mainly for a holiday.
2.Go with the International Baccalaureate program. This is better than the IGCSE / A level system for ex pats as it is an internationally recognised system suitable for all nationalities, not just Brits, it is even beginning to usurp the UK system back home.
3.You need a core of about fifty students but you can finagle this if you limit the intake age and follow the students through, increasing the size of the school yearly. Say recruit for the IB middle years only, then expand into the examination phase later. Many UK teachers can teach more than one subject at this level.
4.I have personal contact with individuals working at IB in Cardiff and should be able to get any information you may need re meeting accreditation standards etc.
5.If anyone is interested feel free to PM me.
Thaiclan
Amateur
Amateur

Setting up own school and IB

Post by Thaiclan »

Fremuldo,
Great post. I'm not sure about the Caribbean but I have some knowledge of Thailand. It is extremely difficult to get a license for an International school here. Firstly it has to be majority Thai owned. there are so many hoops to jump through with comapny formation, getting licensed by the Education Ministry, then getting International School licenses.
In regards to IB - yes it is an excellent curriculum, and I personally prefer it to the British A level system. However it is not easy to become an IB facility. Each school has to be inspected and quite stirct criteria has to be in place in order to be "awarded" IB status and allowed to offer the curriculum.
I worked in an International school in Bangkok and it took us over 2 years to finally get IB accredited and their resources and facilities were of a high standard.
But it is all "do - able" with the right committed people. Including Thai Directors. Its just that the level of commitment is hard to come by in a transient expat community.
Marie Chinn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Marie Chinn »

My goodness - I am really stressing out now. My 8 year old is due to start at Somtawin next year when we move to HH and I am now having serious doubts about her attending there. Does anyone have anything nice to say about the school - anything at all......