Thais rank low again at English

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Thais rank low again at English

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:Obviously, I don't know how the assessments are made, but they have always achieved outstanding grades. I hate to think of the English skills of those who finish below them.
Maybe nobody finished below them. Maybe "outstanding" is the lowest possible. :)
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Re: Thais rank low again at English

Post by centermid7 »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:59 am It does annoy me to see their English grades, and I then wonder about the rest of their education.
I don't think you really need to wonder. It's pretty much crap across the board.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

The average Brit ranks low in Thai including me, not many of us english speaking brits are fluent in Thai and that's for sure, when we the English expats living here can write and speak fluent Thai,only then we can we judge others.. This topic is complete nonsense :)
Last edited by johnjar on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

centermid7 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:34 pm
Big Boy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:59 am It does annoy me to see their English grades, and I then wonder about the rest of their education.
I don't think you really need to wonder. It's pretty much crap across the board.
centermid7 ... Are you fluent in Thai ?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Everyone seems to be missing the point here. This is not about whether foreigners have taken the trouble to learn Thai but the importance of the language. I know enough Thai to get by but probably doesn't even warrant a grade.
People learn Thai for the convenience of being able to communicate with the locals. The reason for learning English goes far beyond that. It is the second most spoken language on earth (or third depending upon your view of Chinese). It is recognised as the main international language. Without it you have no chance of progressing in the current world.
Closer to home, English is the official language of ASEAN and the AEC. Why would anyone with ambition not set proficiency of English as a major goal?
Cha-cha-cha has told students that Thai language is important for one day Thai will be THE world language. That shows the amount of cotton wool in his head and the level of delusion he has.
My daughter came to Thailand when she was barely 5. She spoke no Thai (picked it up quite quickly at that age). She progressed her English, mostly by growing up with me in her life. She became 5th in Thailand for English in a school competition and got an award for that. She's 19 now and has been back in the UK for a year. Doing very very well mostly attributed to her command of the English language.
Thankfully, I was born into English but if I wasn't, hopefully I would have realised the importance of the English language.
If a Thai wants to be successful on the world stage then they need English skills to have any chance of success.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

HHTel wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:42 pm Everyone seems to be missing the point here. This is not about whether foreigners have taken the trouble to learn Thai but the importance of the language. I know enough Thai to get by but probably doesn't even warrant a grade.
People learn Thai for the convenience of being able to communicate with the locals. The reason for learning English goes far beyond that. It is the second most spoken language on earth (or third depending upon your view of Chinese). It is recognised as the main international language. Without it you have no chance of progressing in the current world.
Closer to home, English is the official language of ASEAN and the AEC. Why would anyone with ambition not set proficiency of English as a major goal?
Cha-cha-cha has told students that Thai language is important for one day Thai will be THE world language. That shows the amount of cotton wool in his head and the level of delusion he has.
My daughter came to Thailand when she was barely 5. She spoke no Thai (picked it up quite quickly at that age). She progressed her English, mostly by growing up with me in her life. She became 5th in Thailand for English in a school competition and got an award for that. She's 19 now and has been back in the UK for a year. Doing very very well mostly attributed to her command of the English language.
Thankfully, I was born into English but if I wasn't, hopefully I would have realised the importance of the English language.
If a Thai wants to be successful on the world stage then they need English skills to have any chance of success.
HHTel..No you are missing the point...Get real in the very near future the Asian economies led by the Chinese are going to take over the world, it is a fact, adding to that the Europeans countries are becoming more and more Asian due to demographics of the European birthrate diminishing and Asian increasing, and then look at English speaking uk will become a third country in the eyes of Europe and will diminish in strength due to that exact myopic view of yours in the next few years..These are facts..Better learn Cantonese :)
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Yes you are quite right HHTel. Weather you are a tourist or expat, just why would anybody compare the mighty English language with the Thai-language?
Weather you live in Thailand or not, it's totally up to the hosts if they want to be able to communicate with us or not.
Thailand is promoting it self like this: jump on a train and embarke somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Talk to the natives and have some fun time.
Who the heck can you talk with in the middle of nowhere?
Nobody speaks a language you will be able to understand.
If you promote Thailand as a major tourist destination you have to have people who are able to speak some words in English!
Some twenty years ago I was in Phitsanulok with my wife, a former mathematics teacher in this school.
She arranged the meeting, me talking with their English teacher, she meeting up with former colleagues.
BUT. - - - the English teacher couldn't speak English, but as things really started to roll the school assigned a brand new teacher to take care of me. This was a stroke of luck because this man had studied in the US of A and he turned out to be far superior in the English language than me.
Thailand is far from being a tourist-friendly country, especially with their formally 2.end language (the English language) thumbed down.
If it wasn't for the sun - beaches - temperatures - girls - this country would have part of both Laos and Cambodia, because there is nothing left.
20 - 25 years ago this country was blooming and we simply loved the country in the Far East, but now it has changed to something different and hostile country that simply was not the case when I decided to settle down.
Everybody can say that you have to adapt to Thai-language if you're in Thailand, but I ask why?
Stupid people may think that Thai-people do speak Thai, but for heaven's sake why don't they speak English?
I'm not English, but I am able to communicate in English so just why shouldn't the Tourist-Thai's be able to communicate in ENGLISH? The most important language on this planet?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

European birthrate diminishing and Asian increasing,
As usual, jamjar, you have got it wrong. The birthrate in Asia is diminishing not increasing. That's why, Singapore and other countries are offering incentives to reproduce. Thailand has recently announced benefits for having more kids.

As an aside, classic Thai is spoken by less than half of the Thai population.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

johnjar wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:23 pm
I am indeed . . . and Lao . . . and French. I am quite handy with German and Italian as well. Which has nothing to do with the subject at hand but thanks for asking!

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

johnjar wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:16 pm HHTel..No you are missing the point...Get real in the very near future the Asian economies led by the Chinese are going to take over the world, it is a fact, adding to that the Europeans countries are becoming more and more Asian due to demographics of the European birthrate diminishing and Asian increasing, and then look at English speaking uk will become a third country in the eyes of Europe and will diminish in strength due to that exact myopic view of yours in the next few years..These are facts..Better learn Cantonese :)
Apart from a certain sense of 'deja vu' in your reply - think 1997 - the fact is you demonstrate little understanding of what the meaning of a 'fact' is. In the context of this thread, perhaps you could consider brushing up on your English?
Talk is cheap
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

caller wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:49 am
johnjar wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:16 pm HHTel..No you are missing the point...Get real in the very near future the Asian economies led by the Chinese are going to take over the world, it is a fact, adding to that the Europeans countries are becoming more and more Asian due to demographics of the European birthrate diminishing and Asian increasing, and then look at English speaking uk will become a third country in the eyes of Europe and will diminish in strength due to that exact myopic view of yours in the next few years..These are facts..Better learn Cantonese :)
Apart from a certain sense of 'deja vu' in your reply - think 1997 - the fact is you demonstrate little understanding of what the meaning of a 'fact' is. In the context of this thread, perhaps you could consider brushing up on your English?
caller ..You have a real 1960's Alf Garnett mentality as I have said in previous emails on other subjects you spent all your working life in uk and I doubt you understand the world around, typically looking down on others nationalities, and on the contrary you don't know the facts, instead just only repeat your very myopic view, What a typical numskull, and have no intention of brushing up on my my English , working on my Thai far better :)
Last edited by johnjar on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

centermid7 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:04 am
johnjar wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:23 pm

I am indeed . . . and Lao . . . and French. I am quite handy with German and Italian as well. Which has nothing to do with the subject at hand but thanks for asking!

centermid7...Je vous en prie
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

HHTel wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:43 pm
European birthrate diminishing and Asian increasing,
As usual, jamjar, you have got it wrong. The birthrate in Asia is diminishing not increasing. That's why, Singapore and other countries are offering incentives to reproduce. Thailand has recently announced benefits for having more kids.

As an aside, classic Thai is spoken by less than half of the Thai population.
HHTel ..As usual the stupid retort's from usual suspects, I was talking about Demographics of Europe versus the English language, in relation to this thread about whining expats living here in Thailand looking down on locals for not speaking fluent English when the very whiners cannot speak the local language themselves..Your a joke :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Your a joke :)
To correct your English it should be "You're a joke" as in 'You are'.

The nub of this thread should be about the proficiency of the English language in Thailand and not about whether expats can speak Thai or not!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It really depends on what school you go or went to. My late mother-in-law, her daughter and her daughter's daughters went to a well known school in Bangkok, where English is taught, beginning in kindergarten. All my wife's friends and her daughter's friends who went there speak English very well, have an excellent grasp of grammar and spelling and have been or are successful in their careers. I realize that they are the exceptions but my point is that exceptions do exist and not everyone needs to be tarred with the same brush.