1-1 Teaching Online

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
pharvey

1-1 Teaching Online

Post by pharvey »

Has anyone had experience of 1-1 Online Teaching whether as a student or as a tutor/teacher? Specifically looking at foreign languages.

My dear other half the "Long Haired General" is always looking for new opportunities to keep herself busy/make a few extra dollars and this seems to be an ideal opportunity.

The site we've been looking at is https://www.verbling.com. Scam or good opportunity?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Re: 1-1 Teaching Online

Post by buksida »

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:06 pm Have you seen this: http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=35133
Thanks Buks - I hadn't seen this, but at the end of the day the LHG would want to teach Mandarin as a native speaker.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Okay for a Thai but the advert seems to be aimed at 'retirees'. I'd love to be involved with something like that to use up some of my time. However, as far as I understand, it's illegal. Some time ago a bunch of farangs were arrested in Chiang Mai for doing just that. You need a work permit which is almost impossible to get for such a business.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

I used to be on verbling when I lived in uk. It was a good site, but now it's full of Filipinos trying to teach English for $2 p/h
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

Also, there is really no reason to pay a large amount of money to get set-up teaching online. Some of the Chinese companies will even pay for you to take your Tesol if you sign up with them for a year.
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The bunch of arrests made in Chiang Mai were doing exactly what you suggest. i.e. teaching online while working for chinese companies.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

That's true, but if I remember correctly they were renting office space to do it...that's just asking for trouble imho
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Ok. So they stuck their heads up over the parapet and into the radar. But keeping a low profile still doesn't make it legal. Just that you have a better chance of 'getting away with it'.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

HHTel wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:59 am Ok. So they stuck their heads up over the parapet and into the radar. But keeping a low profile still doesn't make it legal. Just that you have a better chance of 'getting away with it'

I don't think anyone suggested that it was legal. If you're going to do it then you're going to do it. What's your point?

I'm thinking of looking at it. VPN connection, untraceable email account. Maybe wearing a Guy Fawkes mask and using a voice altering device. Better safe than sorry.

Hey, I pay the cops' 'fines' too. Guess I'm a bad boy. 😇
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's something I'd like to do as I have oodles of time on my hands. My concern is getting caught. There are plenty who, due to their boring existence, would grass you up just for the hell of it. I'm also worried that this forum carries an advert offering courses and packages to enable this. People could be mislead by the advert thinking it's perfectly legal then finding themselves in trouble.
Good luck to anyone trying it but personally I'll not take the risk.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

HHTel wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:07 pm It's something I'd like to do as I have oodles of time on my hands. My concern is getting caught. There are plenty who, due to their boring existence, would grass you up just for the hell of it. I'm also worried that this forum carries an advert offering courses and packages to enable this. People could be mislead by the advert thinking it's perfectly legal then finding themselves in trouble.
Good luck to anyone trying it but personally I'll not take the risk.
I only meant that in a thread which already has flagged this as an illegal practise we here all have our eyes open. I agree the ads can hide the pitfalls, presumably they expect individuals to do their 'due diligence' before signing up.
My reply was jokey, but if you did it without any registration inside Thailand and kept all external communication channels anonymous I think it's quite safely doable with overseas students. Don't blab about it in Father Ted's etc. is all. :)
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

PS. - Your English would be a breath of fresh air to students who have been stuck with other less able tutors. 😂