Education reforms as elusive as ever in Thailand

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
buksida

Education reforms as elusive as ever in Thailand

Post by buksida »

LAST week, students across Thailand returned to school for a new academic year, and with it came the prospect of new friends, new teachers and new experiences.

However, one aspect of school life in Thailand will continue to remain unchanged, and that is the outdated and ineffective approach to teaching, learning and assessment.

The failings of the Thai education system have been well documented, with the country consistently ranking poorly in international reports.

In last year’s PISA report, Thailand was left struggling near the bottom of the education rankings, with scores in Mathematics (415), Science (421) and reading (409) well below the median scores of 490 points.

In the most recent Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS), Thailand came some way short of the 500 point median score with 431 points in the mathematics tests and 456 points in the science tests.

In contrast, Asian neighbours, including South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan, performed impressively in the TIMSS report, while the top 10 of the PISA rankings consisted of seven Asian economies – Singapore, Japan, Taipei, Macao, Vietnam, Hong Kong and mainland China.

The shortcomings of Thailand’s schools system are also highlighted on an annual basis with the publication of results from the country’s national assessment, the O-NETs, in which average students rarely break the 50 percent mark.

O-NET results from the 2016/2017 academic year were as disappointing as ever. Over 380,000 Grade 12 students sat for the assessments, with the average student failing four of the five exams. The mean scores for Mathematics (24 percent) and English (27 percent) were shockingly low. Results from Grade Nine students were equally disappointing, with the average scores in all five subjects below 50 percent, once again students fared worse in Mathematics (29 percent) and English (31 percent).

Results from Grade Nine students were equally disappointing, with the average scores in all five subjects below 50 percent, once again students fared worse in Mathematics (29 percent) and English (31 percent).

When the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) came to power in 2014, they pledged to root out corruption and reform Thailand’s failing social institutions, among which the country’s education system was a clear priority. In a National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA) poll the following year, the education system was singled out as the institution that needed the most urgent reform.

More: https://asiancorrespondent.com/2017/05/ ... 4xFMdAo.97
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Education reforms as elusive as ever in Thailand

Post by Spitfire »

The MoE is a monster of a department sucking up so much money with little effect to show for it and there is no will to change or reform from within it. Might as well try to reform the army or police...good luck with that.

Not to mention the resistance they would face from all the teachers, admin workers, government contract types that are on such a cushy gravy-train deal. These workers on government contracts for life leech so much money out of the system for stuff like like free loans etc. to buy houses and cars outright and get the owner documents straight away, it's scary. No wonder such positions are so sought after.

The problem goes much further than just the Ministry of Education, it's society and culturally wide. You can teach all the critical thinking methods you like and use all the modern teaching methodology you want, only for them (students) to leave school/university, get a job and be told by the pyramid structure of society and patronage system to shut up, know your place and do what you are told.

Till that changes....dream on with this one.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

But they do learn how to make pretty money trees.
1445864913246.jpg
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I will quote an example of Thai education. My granddaughter has been a grade A student throughout her education, excelling in everything she's been taught at her Thai school. To be doubly sure of getting the correct course, she has spent the last 6 months travelling most weekends to various universities, and passing their entrance exams.

To date she has been turned down by every university that does the course that she wants to do, not because she isn't intelligent enough, but because her Thai school in Hua Hin isn't ranked high enough.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Aren't they changing the university entrance procedure soon so that students only take the entrance exam once and that score will be used to apply for all universities the student is interested in?

Thus, eliminating this need to go running around the country and taking entrance exams and paying money. Think it starts next year, but I guess that might not eliminate the social prejudice of what you mention Mr. BB.

Maybe you can try one of the decent autonomous universities they have here (such as Suranaree University of Technology, for example) as they are not as pompous but still good...think that one I mentioned is ranked as 6th best university in Thailand currently.

Just a thought.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I honestly don't know. I was usually told after the event that she'd been and passed. I did think it was a crazy scheme though.

I think one of the problems she's facing is that she isn't looking at going on holiday for a few years with a piece of paper at the end of it. She has wanted to be a military nurse for many years, and needs to get into a specific course, but only a few universities do that course, so I guess daddy's money secures a place. As I said, she's well qualified, but because of her school's ranking she can't get accepted. They are offering her a course that will give her a physiotherapy qualification instead, which she doesn't want.

She has an alternate career path, and that university is chasing her - they really want her, but her heart is set on military nursing.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

This is also one of the reasons that Thai people will not take a posting out of BKK, they know that if they do their children;s future will be in peril. I have a friend, expat, retired to HH, but moved to BKK which he dislikes for the sake of his 2 thai step-children. Another Thai lady Dr enjoyed HH, but moved back to BKK when her children got to be 10 and 12.
Jack Sprat

Post by Jack Sprat »

As an overview......This is the result of 80 years of essentially military rule.
A population let down by the baboons in charge.
As I have said before, an Army is for the defense of a country....DEFINITELY NOT for running it.
Good luck people!
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Jack Sprat wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:37 am As an overview......This is the result of 80 years of essentially military rule.
A population let down by the baboons in charge.
As I have said before, an Army is for the defense of a country....DEFINITELY NOT for running it.
Good luck people!
:agree:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Jack Sprat--- Surely you are not seriously suggesting that the Thai Military could defend the country-- The report of the invasion would finish with the words that all traffic fatality reports end with --the driver fled the scene.