Times Higher Education world university rankings - Thailand not in top 500

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Times Higher Education world university rankings - Thailand not in top 500

Post by StevePIraq »

Thailand's top university comes in between 501 and 600 position in the world rankings, where did your Uni come

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/wo ... /rank_only
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Re: Times Higher Education world university rankings - Thailand not in top 500

Post by dundrillin »

Dundee came in at 180. Very highly regarded in bio-medical science field. And of course Dentistry !
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Ultrasound's use in Medicine was invenredby Ian Donald in Dundee.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

And you see how biasedyou are--- Your headline could have been--Thai universities make the top 600
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

don't be picky
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

StevePIraq wrote:where did your Uni come
Somewhere between the local chip shop and Stamford Bridge, but I must have passed it without noticing. I came from the university of leaving school at 17.
Talk is cheap
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Yes in the past a formal degree was not a pre requisite to starting a career, these days it seems it is a requirement for getting even the simplest of jobs. So tough for kids now as not everyone can get a degree
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

That is so true but too many people are going to uni to study the wrong things and far too few are studying engineering,science and maths. Also far too few are learning a good trade hence the need for Polish plumbers etc. Going off topic but the wages of apprentices relative to a time served person are far too high. I can remember the days that a father would pay a firm to take his son on and teach him a trade.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

dundrillin wrote:That is so true but too many people are going to uni to study the wrong things and far too few are studying engineering,science and maths. Also far too few are learning a good trade hence the need for Polish plumbers etc. Going off topic but the wages of apprentices relative to a time served person are far too high. I can remember the days that a father would pay a firm to take his son on and teach him a trade.
You are very right about people studying useless things and not science, engineering, or math.

We have a big problem in the US with that too.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

172: University of Leicester. Nobody knew where the place was until their win at the footie earlier this year.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

J.J.B. wrote:172: University of Leicester. Nobody knew where the place was until their win at the footie earlier this year.
Still not sure where it is :D but probably the University of Bristol is not so well known either and even less well known, the University if the West of England, which was my last port of call.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

dundrillin wrote:That is so true but too many people are going to uni to study the wrong things and far too few are studying engineering,science and maths. Also far too few are learning a good trade hence the need for Polish plumbers etc. Going off topic but the wages of apprentices relative to a time served person are far too high. I can remember the days that a father would pay a firm to take his son on and teach him a trade.
I used to live in Australia and the local Uni dropped courses in Electrical Engineering as no one was enrolling, it seemed everyone wanted to study IT or something related.
In Australia the minimum wage is now $16,87 per hour so employers believe the person should have a degree no mater how basic the position.
My son did not obtain a degree and is now struggling to even find full time employment.