Cultural teaching - some ideas, please

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Re: Cultural teaching - some ideas, please

Post by centermid7 »

PBbeacher wrote:Native English speakers can generally understand broken (even badly broken) English...but one wrong tone in Thai in an otherwise correct sentence and it all goes right out the window! (that maybe just me!)
Amen to this brother! One of my pet peeves as well.

When they butcher up the English language or even just a word, more than 99% of the time I know what they are on about. Why? Because I am listening and trying to understand. If I don't get their stuff right then I'm going to hear "Huh" in that terribly nasal way and the reason is that they have made NO effort either listen OR understand it's just easier to say "Huh".

Cheers!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

At my local coffee shop I always ask for Gaffee Latte, every time the waitress asks my wife "What Mr Want". WTF
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sugar Free Drinks
Inability to cook without MSG
Sugar in all cooking
Eating oranges and strawberries with salt
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: Some ideas, please

Post by bsdk1960 »

migrant wrote:
RCer wrote:
StevePIraq wrote:
To true, I wonder why
Wow, 3 of us here have the same question. I was beginning to think I was the only one.
I think the OP was looking for differences, which people are responding to. I don't believe all comments are meant to be complaints
After been a member for some years, I think I have read some of these comments, sound like complaints to me,but english is not my native languise,so what do I know. :oops: :offtopic:

:cheers: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Drinking tap water in the UK.
Central heating.
Carpets.
Snow & ice
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Wondering why all these foreigners fully expect we Thais should be able to speak to them in THEIR own language when this is, after all Thailand.

Not having to a have reason for changing your mind about anything.

No concept of tomorrow .
Complexity is so simply overrated
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Any Farang can be a teacher in Thailand! :shock:

And it is accepted by Thai authorities and schools! :shock: :shock:
YNWA
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

A big, big thank you to all of you - you've given me a huge amount of material that I can make use of. The aim of this particular part of the course is to prepare them if/when they're in the company of, or work for, a westerner (in Thailand). It's not to criticise their culture (that would get me 50 angry students baying for my blood), but to educate them to leave some of their Thainess in Thailand when they travel or go to live abroad. I'll tell them that these comments have come from other expats living here (although I agree with everything you've come up with), so they don't hate me. :wink:

Thanks again, folks. I'll be doing this part towards the end of term in November - so don't stop posting your ideas.

VS :cheers:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Vital Spark wrote:A big, big thank you to all of you - you've given me a huge amount of material that I can make use of. The aim of this particular part of the course is to prepare them if/when they're in the company of, or work for, a westerner (in Thailand). It's not to criticise their culture (that would get me 50 angry students baying for my blood), but to educate them to leave some of their Thainess in Thailand when they travel or go to live abroad. I'll tell them that these comments have come from other expats living here (although I agree with everything you've come up with), so they don't hate me. :wink:

Thanks again, folks. I'll be doing this part towards the end of term in November - so don't stop posting your ideas.

VS :cheers:
Let us know how it goes!! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

I know a fair few Thai's who live/have lived abroad, and I have heard them complain comment about weather, food, prices and loneliness. I can't recall hearing them ever complain about the (native) people or driving. Maybe those things are perfect in farangland.

Some interesting things on this thread, glad it wasn't entirely used as another opportunity to make petty jabs. Thanks and good luck VS.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

To be honest, my other half would identify many of the differences listed, having lived in the UK and travelled fairly extensively and she's fiercely patriotic! Some of the things listed above frustrate her but she recognises TIT - lol!

It would be interesting to see what would be listed if those Thais that have lived abroad were asked the same question?

I would imagine responses to do with cleanliness, holding doors open, queuing and drivers stopping to allow pedestrians to cross the road would feature.
Talk is cheap
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

To VitalSpark
Please don't take these comments as negative or let your students see them that way, without differences between cultures what we be, all the same and so boring.

As Louis Armstrong said "What a beautiful World"
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

I think you'll find Mr Armstrong had a ''Wonderful World" :)
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

It's the sentiment that counts not the actual words, picky picky
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Being able to buy postage stamps at the pharmacy.
The sign on the loo at Cheap Charlies - 'piss no shit'.
Fanny sprays.
A fried egg on top of your breakfast rice.
The way rats are tolerated.
Absolute respect for the monarchy.
Having free gift wrapping service at Robinsons at Christmas.
'How old you?'
Happy New Year and Christmas signs up until at least Easter.
The banging of pots and pans during an eclipse (always works that one.)

And of course SONGHRAN!
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.