Schools review in Hua Hin ? Vithayalai School or Somtawin ?

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
pin86
Novice
Novice

Schools review in Hua Hin ? Vithayalai School or Somtawin ?

Post by pin86 »

Hi !

I’m looking for a decent school in HH for my 5 and 12 years old kids but unfortunately the international school is too pricey for me. Could you share any experience of Vithayalai School or Somtawin ? Which one is the best ? Do you know another school with the English program ?

Thanks for your advice
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Re: Schools review in Hua Hin ? Vithayalai School or Somtawin ?

Post by nanyang »

pin86,

To give you my opinion, based on many years involved in 'education' in Thailand, it would be helpful to know the nationality of your children and which International school are you referring to?
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Post by alleykat »

As you probably already know nanyang there is only one "international' school in the Hua Hin area and that's the new one, can't remember it's name. Others such as Somtawin and Yamsaard may pretend to be proper international schools but they're not. Somtawin is all about money with no real substance. As for Vithayalai you may as well not send them to school at all if it's education you're after. Salesian is a better option.
pin86
Novice
Novice

Post by pin86 »

nanyang wrote:pin86,

To give you my opinion, based on many years involved in 'education' in Thailand, it would be helpful to know the nationality of your children and which International school are you referring to?
Thanks for your reply. We are living in Krabi and plan to move to HH in april 2017. My daugthers are thai-belgian. I didn't referred to any school international school especially, i just know by experience that the cost is higher than 160k for 1 year and i can't pay this amount. That's why i think, but may be i'm wrong, the only solution is to choose between Vithayalai School or Somtawin and i need to know which is the best. But may you can give me a better advice :D
pin86
Novice
Novice

Post by pin86 »

alleykat wrote:As you probably already know nanyang there is only one "international' school in the Hua Hin area and that's the new one, can't remember it's name. Others such as Somtawin and Yamsaard may pretend to be proper international schools but they're not. Somtawin is all about money with no real substance. As for Vithayalai you may as well not send them to school at all if it's education you're after. Salesian is a better option.
Hello, i didn't know about Nanyang, so you advice me the Salesian school, thanks to share your opinion :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Certainly, Salesian is the best of the 'budget' schools and they do have an 'English Program' with native English speakers.
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

It would appear, from your budget, that your options are limited.
Have you checked out how much Somtawin would cost you for two students?
Salesian, from the opinions of those who live in Hua-Hin, is your best option.
Make sure you keep them up to speed at home with French.

I left Thailand three years ago as there was no chance of a decent education in Thailand for my daughters.
Whilst I have to put up with the climate in Europe, it's a price worth paying when I compare the girl's lifestyles.
Whatever slant you put on it the opportunities in Thailand for 'luk kreungs' are very limited - in my opinion.

Good luck with your relocation.
pin86
Novice
Novice

Post by pin86 »

HHTel wrote:Certainly, Salesian is the best of the 'budget' schools and they do have an 'English Program' with native English speakers.
pin86
Novice
Novice

Post by pin86 »

nanyang wrote:It would appear, from your budget, that your options are limited.
Have you checked out how much Somtawin would cost you for two students?
Salesian, from the opinions of those who live in Hua-Hin, is your best option.
Make sure you keep them up to speed at home with French.

I left Thailand three years ago as there was no chance of a decent education in Thailand for my daughters.
Whilst I have to put up with the climate in Europe, it's a price worth paying when I compare the girl's lifestyles.
Whatever slant you put on it the opportunities in Thailand for 'luk kreungs' are very limited - in my opinion.

Good luck with your relocation.
Thanks Nanyang, i understand you. When i talked about 160k, it was per child. Somtawin or Salesian is the best ? Do you think that by being student in Somtawin or Salesian schoolss my kids have a little chance to enter to European universities ?
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

I don't think there is a lot of difference in any of the mentioned schools. Given that the teachers usually move between them, I think it is fair to assume that the teaching standards are more or less the same. I agree with the comments about Somtawin only being interested in money, my daughter goes there and I have said as much to them on the subject . I know people who have kids in Salesian and they complain about the same things as we do. I think choose the school that is easiest to get to from where you live. Because the education level is no different.
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

I would have though the best school within your budget is Beacon House Yamsaard . My children have attended for years and I am impressed with the quality of the education they receive. Last December I visited Canada many people commented on how advanced my children were for their ages and their mastery of English. Honestly my children's English is better than my own even though English is their second language. They use the Cambridge international examination (certified school) and their O-net scores were the highest among the schools in our region last time I looked. Being part of the Beacon House group managed in the UK they must keep their standards high.
pin86
Novice
Novice

Post by pin86 »

bert91157 wrote:I don't think there is a lot of difference in any of the mentioned schools. Given that the teachers usually move between them, I think it is fair to assume that the teaching standards are more or less the same. I agree with the comments about Somtawin only being interested in money, my daughter goes there and I have said as much to them on the subject . I know people who have kids in Salesian and they complain about the same things as we do. I think choose the school that is easiest to get to from where you live. Because the education level is no different.
I'm agree thanks :D
pin86
Novice
Novice

Post by pin86 »

HHCanuck wrote:I would have though the best school within your budget is Beacon House Yamsaard . My children have attended for years and I am impressed with the quality of the education they receive. Last December I visited Canada many people commented on how advanced my children were for their ages and their mastery of English. Honestly my children's English is better than my own even though English is their second language. They use the Cambridge international examination (certified school) and their O-net scores were the highest among the schools in our region last time I looked. Being part of the Beacon House group managed in the UK they must keep their standards high.

Thanks for your reply, how much did you pay per year please ?
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

HHCanuck wrote: Being part of the Beacon House group managed in the UK they must keep their standards high.

It ain't necessarily so.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

pin86 wrote:
HHCanuck wrote:I would have though the best school within your budget is Beacon House Yamsaard . My children have attended for years and I am impressed with the quality of the education they receive. Last December I visited Canada many people commented on how advanced my children were for their ages and their mastery of English. Honestly my children's English is better than my own even though English is their second language. They use the Cambridge international examination (certified school) and their O-net scores were the highest among the schools in our region last time I looked. Being part of the Beacon House group managed in the UK they must keep their standards high.

Thanks for your reply, how much did you pay per year please ?
Fees are on their website. http://www.bys.ac.th/campuses.php?campusid=4

Click the 'Tuition Fees 2016 ' blue button at the top right side to open a PDF with all fees.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.