Da Vinci international school Hua Hin

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Da Vinci international school Hua Hin

Post by Felipesed1 »

Then perhaps it was the correct decision by the Da Vinci School!
Nemorensis
Novice
Novice

Re: Da Vinci international school Hua Hin

Post by Nemorensis »

BTW, the end of my long previous message is a left over that I forgot to delete. I guess that your super minds understood that...

I won't reply to your pitiful comments. It tells to people, clearly enough, what sort of persons you are... ^^
nellyp

Post by nellyp »

lol
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

Nemorensis wrote:Ahahah, I should normally call you asshole for your lack of compassion (and you are), but exceptionally I will just enjoy telling you "Yes they were!"
You forgot to insert an indefinite article before 'asshole (sic)'.
It should read, 'I should normally call you an asshole ......'

Also, your should should be would .... ' I would normally call you an asshole.....'

:)
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

It is ironic that with all the criticism of the standard of English taught at the average Thai school that a potential English language teacher at a very expensive school demonstrates what cannot really be called "native English". No surprise that it has garnered derogatory comments. If I had both the funds to afford it and children that would need an education I would have concerns if their English teacher was any less than totally fluent. There are too many non-native English language teachers who think they can speak fluent English and are quite understandable but to a true native speaker their mistakes are very obvious. If anything this thread may serve more to promote the school as it appears to have weeded out an inferior candidate for employment.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Gregjam wrote:There are too many non-native English language teachers who think they can speak fluent English and are quite understandable but to a true native speaker their mistakes are very obvious.
Agreed.

3 caveats:
they are usually much better than most Thai English teachers;
there are quite a few native English speakers teaching English who don't fully understand their own language or simply cannot teach;
irrespective of his English language skills (or lack thereof), this chap appears to have been badly treated by this school.
This is the way
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Certainly agree with dtaai-maai's caveats. I work with many different nationalities (Polish, Romanian, Indian, Chinese and Geordies) with the latter being the hardest to understand. When asked to explain which of two sentences is correct grammatically and why my usual response is that one sounds correct and the other not. I cannot quote the rules or know the difference between verbs, adverbs but just know what sounds correct. A Polish colleague speaks better English than I do grammatically wise and can also explain why having been taught it. Unfortunately in most professions today a certificate of competence takes precedence over an actual ability with some very capable people forced out due to not having the appropriate piece of paper and some people with the correct accreditation not having the practical skills required.
It does appear that the OP was not treated fairly but we have only been presented with one side of the story so there may be more to this than meets the eye.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Gregjam wrote:It does appear that the OP was not treated fairly but we have only been presented with one side of the story so there may be more to this than meets the eye.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. When Nemorensis made his opening post, I was hoping the school would respond with their side of the story. Obviously, they have either not read the post, or more likely, they didn't want to get into a slagging match on a public forum.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:
Gregjam wrote:There are too many non-native English language teachers who think they can speak fluent English and are quite understandable but to a true native speaker their mistakes are very obvious.
Agreed.

3 caveats:
they are usually much better than most Thai English teachers;
there are quite a few native English speakers teaching English who don't fully understand their own language or simply cannot teach;
irrespective of his English language skills (or lack thereof), this chap appears to have been badly treated by this school.
You're first caveat is particularly relevant, I've met the Thai teacher responsible for teaching my step-son English and I couldn't hold a conversation with him in English and had to use my wife to translate.
Nemorensis
Novice
Novice

Post by Nemorensis »

Most of the time, I have to speak Thai with Thai English teachers. I would not dare to criticize their level of English but rather their lack of desire to improve it, also due to a low income at the end. Anyway, the direction that someone takes (=efforts) is much more valuable than the results.

Hum,... I did not forget the article in one of my previous sentence, but rather the quotes around the word a******. Moreover, "should" seems a good choice to me, since it involves a notion of duty, contrary to "would"... but the Super-NES teachers will provide the final answer of what sounds good.

NES are valuable but a mix of nationalities is the best for the reasons given by the previous posters.

I have much bigger problems right now than checking each of my sentences since I am looking urgently for a job.
Some people are incredibly bitter and arrogant here. Should I remind them that being compassionate is a better quality than being erudite if one wants to become a good teacher?...

Regarding the issue with DA VINCI INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, it is my duty to take my words back (Message from the Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:19 pm), and to say that it was a misunderstanding. I understood wrong, I was wrong, I was under the control of my emotions, and I apologize to all the members of the school. (excuses officially made the 9th September 2016 at 8:06pm in Thailand).
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

Yes, I hear what you say.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Also the standard of English spoken and written by children educated in British state schools is declining. Of course the politicians children go to Public (thats private to non-brits) schools so they don't care, rather like Thai.
nellyp

Post by nellyp »

The school is now up and running. The website is still under development, but far improved. The fees have also been adjusted (scholarships for the first students which are locked in), and the first phase has been completed; so it has all the necessary buildings for kindergarten and primary classes. It will start with those, and once the second phase is completed for next year (2017) it will accept secondary students too.

It has an open day tomorrow starting at 12:30

[Admin edit: schools in Thailand are businesses so ...]
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

Yet another OVER PRICED so called International School - just a business really. Nobody will achieve OXBRIDGE - probably because the teachers never reached that standard themselves.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
nellyp

Post by nellyp »

musungu wrote:Yet another OVER PRICED so called International School - just a business really. Nobody will achieve OXBRIDGE - probably because the teachers never reached that standard themselves.
I wonder how many Oxbridge graduates work in Thailand. However, you are entitled to your opinion, so enjoy your day. I am simply giving everyone an update.