English classes catch on in Laos

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
PeteC

English classes catch on in Laos

Post by PeteC »

This seems like a serious endeavour to me and I hope they structure it the right way. Unfortunately the kick off seems to indicate untrained local teachers are being used.

I then see an opportunity as a new frontier for farang English teachers. Step back in time to the Thailand of 50 years ago. :D

If I were a young teacher and adventurous, I would keep my eye on developments. Pete :cheers:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 69681.html
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: English classes catch on in Laos

Post by HHTel »

Laos overtook Thailand in the English speaking race in 2004.

In 1997, Thailand led South East Asia as the most English speaking nation. Now they are at the bottom of the list.

I wonder why!!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

According to the British council study Thailand was 48 out of 63 in English Proficiency which puts Thailand in the very low proficiency level. http://media.ef.com/__/~/media/centrale ... hic-v4.pdf

Thank god I am English and not a damned foreigner.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

if the frickin' internet runs any slower in Thailand we will be back fifty years...

anybody move from Thailand to Laos? Wonder what import duties are? :)
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

You won't be finding better quality internet in Laos, I can assure you!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

....and you won't be finding any fresh seafood from my experience if that's an important part of your diet. "Riverfish or farmed shrimp please asked the waiter". :shock: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source