Webster University a "diploma mill"?

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Webster University a "diploma mill"?

Post by caller »

LolaBeltran wrote:I do have knowledge of the place
Just out of curiosity, in what capacity?

The football pitch doesn't look as if it's beautifully maintained!
Talk is cheap
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

LolaBeltran wrote: I also know enough of the behind the scenes situation to say that several of the ex-faculty so keen on tearing the place down were let go for good reasons ( false credentials, abuse of students, inattention to classes, failure to complete grades etc etc. . .whatever you might imagine a poor teacher to be capable of.)
That's a pretty exhaustive list, and some of the items on there are quite concerning. If there are indeed 'several' staff who have been let go for such reasons then perhaps they need to work on their vetting process??
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Webster University

Post by LolaBeltran »

Pleng . .I agree. Recruiting quality faculty for a somewhat remote Thai campus appears to have been no easy task. But this has improved over the past couple years and there are not many "duds" getting through these days. Some of the really outstanding professors teaching at the Cha Am campus now include Dr. Kenneth Houston, Dr. Rachel Rudolph, Dr Claudio Ciccuzza and Dr Alex Chirila.
letter_to_da
Novice
Novice

Post by letter_to_da »

Hua Hin and Cha Am, about your neighbor out on the bypass route, Webster Thailand...it is not a diploma mill, it’s just mired down in corruption and not a very good overseas branch campus.

I'm bored right now, Google is my friend.

This is pretty much the current story as I can gather from the various reports out there...For a little school there sure is a lot of media coverage, and apparently its made its fair share of enemies.

So what is the real story?
Tricky Indian guy with a history of low level backstabbing, gets confidence of American lady director, gets foot in door, later undermines nice but older British Director, its just not worth it so British guy gives up and retires, tricky Indian although having shaky qualifications is able to BS St Louis. This same Indian apparently use to teach at Stamford, during the Thai ownership days, not when it was under Laureate; as mentioned he convinces people running Webster in St Louis he can do the job, he then is able to clear out any competent well connected Thais, Tricky Indian guy brings in others, mainly Indians nationals, his former students at Stamford in some cases, the tight knit confidants for the most part, folks who he knows are loyal to him, whom he trusts, and together they share in the milking of benefits from Webster Thailand. As Lola mentions above, new pawns are hired. For others who work there, but are not really insiders, it is either a live and let live relationship and they get by with a paycheck, or they cross the management for some reason and get fired, or they simply get disgusted and leave.

I think regarding the above, St. Louis Webster is maybe OK with it. They are complicit.

Did 157 students really sign a petition against the school called WUT? I think yes.
Did the director really threaten a Hua Hin/Cha Am style mafia hit on a student and on a disgruntled teacher?
I'm not sure, but I think no on the mafia hit, maybe it was insinuated.
Is St. Louis really interested in dumping a lot of money into this campus with this same guy and his cronies in charge?
Nothing would surprise me, but St. Louis seemed to avoid commenting publicly on any of the problems that could get them in legal trouble.

No less than three Webster overseas sites are in trouble right now Thailand, London and Vienna.

Even though Webster St. Louis claims they are a not for profit, in truth, its real set-up is more like a committee managed, (in this case poorly managed) private equity fund.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

An interesting and quite balanced article that gives both sides of the story at some length.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... s-thailand

Whatever the truth of the matter, it doesn't seem as though this issue is going to die a quiet death.
This is the way
neo24
Amateur
Amateur

Post by neo24 »

Wow, you would think the place is a Golden Turd from reading the responses. Why not ask current students for the truth?
letter_to_da
Novice
Novice

Post by letter_to_da »

I guess the word is out the rector at Webster Thailand was put on extended sabbatical i.e. administrative leave. That is what they do when they want to fire the disgraced Rat, but at the same time want to avoid getting hit with a lawsuit.

Let's hope they clear out the rest of the charlatans.
neo24
Amateur
Amateur

Post by neo24 »

The New Rector seems nice enough. He likes somtam and Durian!