Thainess test for foreign teachers

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Thainess test for foreign teachers

Post by richard »

Just received this from a friend who's looking for a teaching job. I do not know the source or it's accuracy

Bangkok:- To get a teachers’ license in Thailand, foreigners must first take a 21-hour course on Thainess and Thai education laws.

Prof Dr Paitoon Sinlarat, who heads the Teachers Council of Thailand (TCT), says the course is mandatory for any foreigner who is interested in taking a teaching job here.

“We have required them to take this course because Thai culture and theirs are completely different,” he says.

According to him, the course is a must even to foreigners who have already got a teacher’s license from their home country.

“For those who have already been a licensed teacher in their homeland, they take just the 21-hour course. For those who have never got a license from their homeland, they must take a longer course,” Paitoon explains.

He adds that the longer course covers a total of 42 hours, with content spanning from Thainess, to Thai laws, to Thai education concepts, to Thai educational psychology, and to educational evaluation.

Paitoon says in the past, only two universities were authorized to conduct such courses. However, the TCT has now decided to make these courses available at more facilities.

“Other universities should contact the TCT now if they want to organize such courses. They can even arrange the training in collaboration with schools,” he says.

The TCT has made these courses on Thainess mandatory for foreign teachers despite loud complaints from international schools, which lament that the courses make it even harder to recruit foreigners to teaching jobs.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Thainess test

Post by HHTel »

Thai education concepts, to Thai educational psychology, and to educational evaluation.
Mmmm teach the teachers how to fail! The Thai education system has proven itself many times over as a dead duck.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Thainess test for foreign teachers

Post by Spitfire »

A teaching license here is only needed by those who want to teach kids and high school levels. If you teach at a higher education college or university then you don't need a teaching license as you are not a teacher. I think I'm classified as a "consultant" or an "alien instructor"......whatever that means.

I have heard a lot of nonsense about these Mickey Mouse courses for teachers to do in order to get the license. As for "Thainess" in the classroom, sounds like a retrograde thing and a complete fail by the MoE....give me a break.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol