New Ed Visa Rules

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Re: New Ed Visa Rules

Post by bapak »

GLCQuantum wrote:^ That rise in price seems very reasonable indeed given the extra learning hours.

:cheers:
Our teachers are quite dedicated to us and we have worked out a system for giving "more for less".
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

dtaai-maai wrote:It seems the usual hysterical panic mode is kicking in.
All I see is an attempt to stop an abuse of the immigration laws by requiring people staying here as students to study a whole 8 hours a week, not a wholesale anti-farang campaign.
I don't think it's hysteria as such DM. While I applaud the army for trying to rid the country of undesirables, there seems to be a xenophobic undertone in many of their new proposals. It's cause for concern for many.

Not panic, but concern. I think it's healthy for all expats to show a little concern towards their new surroundings. Keeps you on your toes.

richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

^ Agree. There's more going on beneath the surface on several issues IMO
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

bapak wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:^ That rise in price seems very reasonable indeed given the extra learning hours.

Our teachers are quite dedicated to us and we have worked out a system for giving "more for less".
Bigger class sizes by any chance. :wink:

bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

GLCQuantum wrote:
bapak wrote:

Bigger class sizes by any chance. :wink:

NO.
We maintain our 5 -7 students average per class.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Good to hear. I remember doing a stint at Inlingua some time ago (I was desperate...) and I had a class with ten kids and you could barely move.

"Okay students, forget activities, forget role play... just sit down, shut up and listen to me at the head of the table".

:D
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

GLCQuantum wrote:Interesting.
The next few years will let us know more. North Korea 2.0 here we come. :D
Hardly. Most countries insist on a minimum of 16 - 20 hours per week for an ED Visa, increasing the minimum requirement from 4 to 8 hours is hardly any sign of the move towards NK you so frequently refer to on general hysteria threads.
bapak wrote:To clear up any doubts about the present requirements for Education Visa, following are the new rules:

* There are 4 language schools licensed in Hua Hin that are authorized to submit documents for Ed Visa applications. Two of which are under investigation for student non attendance.
As you know, I was unfortunate enough to be in the position of trying to obtain an ED visa right as the rules were changing. At that point I was told by the consulate that documents provided by the school were no longer adequate and it they in fact needed to be signed off and stamped by the ministry of education. Was that accurate, or "First day" confusion from the consulate?
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

Pleng wrote:
Hardly. Most countries insist on a minimum of 16 - 20 hours per week for an ED Visa, increasing the minimum requirement from 4 to 8 hours is hardly any sign of the move towards NK you so frequently refer to on general hysteria threads.
bapak wrote:To clear up any doubts about the present requirements for Education Visa, following are the new rules:

* There are 4 language schools licensed in Hua Hin that are authorized to submit documents for Ed Visa applications. Two of which are under investigation for student non attendance.
As you know, I was unfortunate enough to be in the position of trying to obtain an ED visa right as the rules were changing. At that point I was told by the consulate that documents provided by the school were no longer adequate and it they in fact needed to be signed off and stamped by the ministry of education. Was that accurate, or "First day" confusion from the consulate?
Documents were accurate and stamped by Ministry.
Penang keep saying they they need 2 new forms but when asked what form by phone / Fax / Email, no response.
Same documents were submitted to another Consulate and visa was issued with no complaint.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Pleng wrote:
Reading comprehension not your strong point? :wink:

A measly four hours extra a week doesn't mean much and, of course, can't be construed as an attack on foreigners. It's an accumulation of some bizarre proposals along with the changes to everything else that is cause for concern.

You can keep on living like nothing's going on if you so wish. No skin off my nose.

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail". - Benjamin Franklin

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

House ownership rumours moved here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=28863
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Steve1956
Novice
Novice

Post by Steve1956 »

Hi Don, is the requirement for 8 hours per week for new visas issued or is it retrospective?
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

Our understanding is that it is retrospective.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

Pleng wrote:Hardly. Most countries insist on a minimum of 16 - 20 hours per week for an ED Visa, increasing the minimum requirement from 4 to 8 hours is hardly any sign of the move towards NK you so frequently refer to on general hysteria threads.
If you don't mind me asking, Which countries offer an Ed Visa based on learning the local language?
I know that the U.S. offers an Ed Visa to students attending an accredited University or College but it is not specifically based on learning a language(which would be English in the U.S.).
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I don't know. I don't think there are many countries that offer an Ed Visa for just attending a few classes of school. Like you say, I think it's generally for attending Colleges or Universities - regardless of what it is you are actually studying
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

just told today i cannot renew my ed visa as i have now completed three years of study,and was also told they will most likely only be able to offer 6month visas to new clients any way, instead of the 12month visa.
Lucky for me i can change to a supporting visa as i have a thai son,which is same requirements as a marriage visa