New Ed Visa Rules

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

New Ed Visa Rules

Post by bapak »

To clear up any doubts about the present requirements for Education Visa, following are the new rules:

1. Must attend class 8 hours per week
2. Must attend 400 hours for one year stay
3. Ed Visa valid for 1 year only. Must leave country to get new visa at end of study year.
4. Attendance to classes will be enforced.

For general info....
* Any school offering other than the above, both student and school will suffer consequences.
* There were 48 language schools in Phuket 2 months ago. At least 20 have now been closed.
* We know for a fact that 7 Russians, 3 French, and one UK student have been deported from Phuket for non attendance to class in the past month.
* Immigration practice seem to vary from Province to Province.
* Thai Consulate Ed Visa requirements vary from country to country, and often between Consulates in the same country.
* There are 4 language schools licensed in Hua Hin that are authorized to submit documents for Ed Visa applications. Two of which are under investigation for student non attendance.
* All legit schools offering Ed Visas will have to increase their fees. Some schools in Bangkok have already doubled their fees.

At Sirada - The Learning Centre, we will be enforcing the new rules and increasing fees effective 01 January.
Big Boy

Re: New Ed Visa Rules

Post by Big Boy »

bapak wrote:* All legit schools offering Ed Visas will have to increase their fees. Some schools in Bangkok have already doubled their fees.
Will have to increase fees for Ed Visas only, or classes in general? If for other than Ed Visas, please explain why.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

Big Boy wrote:
bapak wrote:* All legit schools offering Ed Visas will have to increase their fees. Some schools in Bangkok have already doubled their fees.
Will have to increase fees for Ed Visas only, or classes in general? If for other than Ed Visas, please explain why.
Only Ed Visa. Thought that I made it clear that this is all about Ed Visa students.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Move to Cambodia :duck:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

bapak wrote:
Big Boy wrote:
Only Ed Visa. Thought that I made it clear that this is all about Ed Visa students.
Thank you. Most of the post was clear about Ed Visa, but when it came down to fee increases, it didn't IMHO make it clear that only fee increases related to Ed Visas. You did include it under general information.

I'll be honest and say that I didn't realise language schools were charging any more than a visa fee, especially as students have to leave the country to obtain it - sorry, totally my ignorance of the scheme.

Points 41; Position 18
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

[quote="Big Boy" Will have to increase fees for Ed Visas only, or classes in general? If for other than Ed Visas, please explain why.[/quote]

Only Ed Visa. Thought that I made it clear that this is all about Ed Visa students.[/quote]
Thank you. Most of the post was clear about Ed Visa, but when it came down to fee increases, it didn't IMHO make it clear that only fee increases related to Ed Visas. You did include it under general information.

I'll be honest and say that I didn't realise language schools were charging any more than a visa fee, especially as students have to leave the country to obtain it - sorry, totally my ignorance of the scheme.[/quote]

We do not charge any visa fee nor for the documentation required by the Ministry of Education directed to the Thai Consulate (which is substantial). What we charge for is tuition fees. In the past, fee was for the required 200 hours tuition. Hours that have now been increased to 400.

For non Ed Visa students, nothing has changed.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, thanks - that qualifies it.

Now the question you've probably guessed is coming.......... John is attending class with Ed Visa students. He most probably won't be able to get additional time off work. Does this new ruling mean that he has to drop out of school? I can't see any way that he'll be able to keep up with the rest if he's doing half the hours.

Points 41; Position 18
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

Big Boy wrote:OK, thanks - that qualifies it.

Now the question you've probably guessed is coming.......... John is attending class with Ed Visa students. He most probably won't be able to get additional time off work. Does this new ruling mean that he has to drop out of school? I can't see any way that he'll be able to keep up with the rest if he's doing half the hours.
Nothing in black and white yet but I think that John will not be affected... The normal classes that he attends will not change. The extra hours for Ed Visa students will be in a different format and times.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

This is of no concern to me personaly, but the following points to more changes than posted here:
..............................................................................................
http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Stickman ... erview.htm

The ED visa is the visa of choice for those aged under 50 who aren't married to a Thai and who are not legally employed but would like to remain in the country. Immigration is aware of the widespread abuse of this visa as a means of staying in the country and introduced further changes this week tightening up on the abuse of ED visas. Now, when one signs up for a Thai language course they wait for the paperwork needed for a visa to be processed (which can take weeks) at which point they travel out of the country to a Thai embassy or consulate, apply for a Non-Immigrant visa and upon entering the country get 90 days permission to say. This can be extended ONCE ONLY in country at the local branch of Immigration for 90 days (meaning a total stay of 6 months). At that point the process must be repeated i.e. you must get a new set of paperwork, exit the country, go to an embassy / consulate etc. What is interesting is that if you're studying something other than the Thai language, such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, the previous rules for multiple 90-day extensions apply. How long will it be until Immigration adds financial requirements to the ED visa process, as they are required for retirement visas?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

Nereus wrote:This is of no concern to me personaly, but the following points to more changes than posted here:
..............................................................................................
http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Stickman ... erview.htm

The ED visa is the visa of choice for those aged under 50 who aren't married to a Thai and who are not legally employed but would like to remain in the country. Immigration is aware of the widespread abuse of this visa as a means of staying in the country and introduced further changes this week tightening up on the abuse of ED visas. Now, when one signs up for a Thai language course they wait for the paperwork needed for a visa to be processed (which can take weeks) at which point they travel out of the country to a Thai embassy or consulate, apply for a Non-Immigrant visa and upon entering the country get 90 days permission to say. This can be extended ONCE ONLY in country at the local branch of Immigration for 90 days (meaning a total stay of 6 months). At that point the process must be repeated i.e. you must get a new set of paperwork, exit the country, go to an embassy / consulate etc. What is interesting is that if you're studying something other than the Thai language, such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, the previous rules for multiple 90-day extensions apply. How long will it be until Immigration adds financial requirements to the ED visa process, as they are required for retirement visas?
This is incorrect...."This can be extended ONCE ONLY in country at the local branch of Immigration for 90 days (meaning a total stay of 6 months)".

The facts are 90 days on entry and 3 x 90 day Extensions at local Immigration until the end of 1 year of stay. Then must leave country and apply for new visa if they intend to continue study.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Interesting.

So, may I ask, how much was the Edvisa course before and how much will it be now? I assume exactly double given the 200 hour requirement being upped to 400. Around 50k maybe?

I heard on another forum, someone being turned away at Swampy (with Ed visa), held in the doghouse and told to get on the first flight home. It had to be the country on the passport too! Not just a return to where he got the visa.

I have a feeling that part of this whole 'Bringing Happiness Back to the People' campaign by the army... is getting rid of foreigners on their land. Not just those who find legal loopholes to use either - everyone.

The next few years will let us know more. North Korea 2.0 here we come. :D

:cheers:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

GLCQuantum wrote:Interesting.

So, may I ask, how much was the Edvisa course before and how much will it be now? I assume exactly double given the 200 hour requirement being upped to 400. Around 50k maybe?

I heard on another forum, someone being turned away at Swampy (with Ed visa), held in the doghouse and told to get on the first flight home. It had to be the country on the passport too! Not just a return to where he got the visa.

I have a feeling that part of this whole 'Bringing Happiness Back to the People' campaign by the army... is getting rid of foreigners on their land. Not just those who find legal loopholes to use either - everyone.

At your age and capability to work I'd be on a plane to Cambodia. It'll be a few years IMO before they go into 'tits up for farangs' mode.

I'm sure they will also be more tolerable of your lifestyle :rasta:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It seems the usual hysterical panic mode is kicking in.
All I see is an attempt to stop an abuse of the immigration laws by requiring people staying here as students to study a whole 8 hours a week, not a wholesale anti-farang campaign.
This is the way
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

GLCQuantum wrote:Interesting.

Can only speak for our school... Sirada - The Learning Centre.
We are increasing from Baht 24,900 to Baht 35,000... a very modest increase. We are in the business of education not visa sales. I can safely say that we would have on average have a 1 potential Ed Visa customer a day walk into our office and ask .."Do I have to study?"... When told yes you do..out they go.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

^ That rise in price seems very reasonable indeed given the extra learning hours.