Primary Schools Hua Hin

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
gilped
Amateur
Amateur

Primary Schools Hua Hin

Post by gilped »

I'm hoping the Forum Members can help me with this one. Can anyone recommend the best primary schools in Hua Hin for a 7 year old girl? Currently I'm living on the north side, not far from the airport and looking for a good English based school for our daughter. I have tried HALIO but they don't have any availability at this time. If any of you have young kids at school I would be most interested to hear from you and your experiences with any recommended schools.
hola63
Novice
Novice

Re: Primary Schools Hua Hin

Post by hola63 »

I would like to inform everybody that The BECC is not accredited as a school.When your child will need a proper education with qualified teachers you could find it very difficult to enroll him in a normal school'
When we enrolled our daughter there four years ago the owner/director didn't tell us anything about not having a licence.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

I would like to inform everybody that The BECC is not accredited as a school.When your child will need a proper education with qualified teachers you could find it very difficult to enroll him in a normal school'
A naive point of view.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

malcolminthemiddle wrote:A naive point of view.
Why naive? Seems like a fair piece of advice to me, assuming that hola is a parent and not a teacher at another establishment.
This is the way
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

As far as primary schools go in Hua Hin... there's not much choice. The best option would be to enroll them somewhere cheap like Somtawin or Yamsaard, which will set you back 80-90k a year, then have a trusted private tutor to supplement their learning for an hour a day after school. That will set you back another 120k. A good education in Thailand will hit around the 200k baht mark annually, however which way you do it.

You can get a lot more expensive options than that if you so wish.

Or you can send them to a Thai school for the price of a hamburger.
hola63
Novice
Novice

Post by hola63 »

I would like to inform everybody that the Becc in Hua Hin is not accredited as a school.
Once your kids will neded a real education with qualified teachers etc..you could have many difficulties in enrolling them in an accredited school.
When my daughter joined the school 4 years ago we were not informed by the owner/director.
They don't have a handwriting policy and sometimes they can't find teachers so the children can't follow the curriculum.
It's probably the worst choice you can make for your kid's education.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

They don't have a handwriting policy...
I have worked in Mini English Program, Bilingual, Trilingual and International schools over the past 11 years and none of them had a 'handwriting policy'. Possibly, the least important factor in a child's education. What, with everything done by computer now. Handwriting...?

"Right kid's... we aint learning anything today."

"What? Why?"

"Ya gonna practice cursive writing today"

"But we could do that at home?"

"Not today, Little Jimmy".

I don't doubt that the school in question (BECC) is crap and offers no paperwork towards your child furthering their education elsewhere. Happens all too often.

:cheers:
Woosie
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Woosie »

We had our son, now 7, enrolled for 18 months at BECC. We found the education to be very good and his teacher for the time he was there was excellent. She has now moved back to Australia. Our son enjoyed attending and we believed he was getting a good education - it was far from "crap" as mentioned.
However, we moved him to Somtawin (the "International" one) because of the issue stated. BECC is not an "official" school and does not provide the paper work that would be required to go onto High School here. If you are only going to be in Thailand for a few years BECC is a decent option. The teachers and staff care about the kids and offer a good education imo.
Our son has been at Somtawin since May and enjoys it. He is well ahead of the other kids in his class partly down to the time he spent at BECC. We have some reservations about Somtawin but all in all it seems to be fine.
My limited experience with schools thus far, I would say the school is less important that the actual teacher who will be educating the kids.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Woosie wrote: I would say the school is less important that the actual teacher who will be educating the kids.
I would agree to that on a universal scale :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

migrant wrote:
Woosie wrote: I would say the school is less important that the actual teacher who will be educating the kids.
I would agree to that on a universal scale :cheers:
Of course that's true. Problem is, is that the coming and going of Western teachers is so erratic, that you couldn't possibly enroll your kid into a school thinking. 'There's a decent teacher... I'm happy for my kid to learn at this school'...

That decent teacher could (will probably) be gone in a month for a variety of reasons. The key is finding a good private tutor to supplement the child's learning. Unfortunately, I'm taken... :wink:

That's how it goes - one family gets your services. A good private tutor isn't shared.

migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

GLCQuantum wrote:
migrant wrote:
Woosie wrote: A good private tutor isn't shared.

Don't know about Thailand, but in Korea if a family finds a good private tutor they will pick up from their work (in the case of after hours tutoring) or home, feed them dinner, and otherwise monopolize the tutors time so they can't work for others
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Don't know about Thailand, but in Korea if a family finds a good private tutor they will pick up from their work (in the case of after hours tutoring) or home, feed them dinner, and otherwise monopolize the tutors time so they can't work for others
Same in Thailand. You aren't to be shared.

You pick up 300-400 thousand baht a year (for 2-3 hours a day) when they dig their claws in. You need to choose the family wisely, though. Otherwise you could be in a job where you're treated like some butler who is forever expected to be at their beck and call. Believe me, I've been there.

hola63
Novice
Novice

Post by hola63 »

malcolminthemiddle wrote:
A naive point of view.
You may consider it a naive point of view,I think at that school they are just not honest.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

I think you will find that for a 7 year old BECC is by far the best option.. accredited or not, the teachers are great, atmosphere for learning is relaxed but strict when required. I saw a friends daughter progress so quickly there, her Thai writing was amazing.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I have a fiend who is an experienced and qualified teacher and he was wondering how it would be possible to do what GLCQuantum suggests and work for a family without a work permit? Would the Family sort that out?
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!