new international school near black mountain

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

new international school near black mountain

Post by jingjoe »

I was told today by 2 different sources that there might be an international school opening up soon near the golf course at black mountain.
Starting from 2yo and up...possibly linked to st andrews or harrow??
Can anybody confirm,or has anybody spotted land out that way that is possibly being built as a school?
VeniceBeach

Re: new international school near black mountain

Post by VeniceBeach »

I think you might talk about the Halio School:

http://halioschool.weebly.com/
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

no i know of halio its not an international school,but still very good alternative,halio has been here for many years.
This is a new international school to be built soon.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

There have been rumours about International Schools opening up in Hua Hin since I moved to Thailand 10 years ago. It would be great for Hua Hin to have a properly accredited Int. School for those who have deep pockets and want their children to have a good education. My last International school that I worked at was 330,000 a year++. Initially I was a little shocked at the price but found out from a little research that this was a 'middle range' price to pay.

The more choices parents have the better.

As it stands I count Halio and Somtawin as the only viable options for western (or half western) children.

:cheers:

Edit: Just to add, I have some experience with four schools around Hua Hin as a substitute teacher, 4+ years in Somtawin as a full time teacher and I have two younger sisters (half Thai) who go to Salesian School (Now in Matiom, but they have been there since Kindergarten/Primary due to lack of sufficient funds to send them to a better school - They aint cheap here!!) ... so I do have a a little weight backing up my last sentence. Things may have changed mind...
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

thanks for the reply,if just a rumour, as it seems to be,i think it won't be long before a large internaional school comes here.My sons being on a waiting list for almost a year now to get into becc ,and i think the new kido kindergarten is full,so definitely a growing area for families with young children.
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

Yamsaard is a good option in Hua Hin I have three children attending it and they enjoy going to school. The English immersion program is being upgraded for the 2014 school year to Cambridge Examination they will be using the curriculum and text books to supplement the Thai curriculum. They don't claim to be an accredited international school however they want the student's education to meet international standards. The school will be adding classes in 2015 so the current students can graduate grade 12 without changing schools. They also have good sport facilities including an Olympic size pool and many extra curricular activities from Taekwondo to Ballet.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

thanks canuck,yamsaard sounds like a good option,i guess with my son being young i have time on my side,i also think a child in the future who can speak both languages in the future will have opportunities,but more importantly anyone who has the understanding of both cultures,and can relate to how they think,well their future is extremely bright
Tommy farang
Novice
Novice

Post by Tommy farang »

The rumor about a St Andrews Intl School being built on land by Black Mountain has been circulating for a while but still not confirmed. If it goes ahead I am quite sure there would be sufficient demand as i for one certainly don't want to have to send my kids to Bangkok for secondary. In the meantime I am very happy with Yam Saard where my youngest daughter is really thriving and happy.
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

14 Rai of land purchased next to the small Black Mountain housing development for the school
Tommy farang
Novice
Novice

Post by Tommy farang »

An architectural practice in Bangkok has been appointed to draw up a master plan for a St Andrews school opposite the water Park at Black Mountain. They have bought the land and are aiming to open the school by May next year starting with Primary but within a short time offering complete secondary education. This is the news I believe we have been waiting for in Hua Hin. Any updates will post here.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I assume associated with the one in Rayong. Good school. Here is their link showing what they offer, which again I assume will be on offer in Hua Hin eventually. I think there is one in Bangkok as well. Pete

http://www.standrewsrayong.com/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

400,000+++ a year I better get saving or my lottery ticket needs to come up :-(

Like many others I wish had had the money to afford it!
Last edited by JimmyGreaves on Mon May 26, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Tommy farang wrote: This is the news I believe we have been waiting for in Hua Hin. Any updates will post here.
JimmyGreaves wrote:400,000+++ a year I better get saving or my lottery ticket needs to come up :-(
Yes, I had a feeling this was only going to be good news to those on that 120k USD income someone was suggesting...
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's a true statement to say that at least 6 in 10 at IS's over here in the East have their tuition and fees paid for by the parent's company. I don't think that will be the ratio in Hua Hin given very few foreigners on some kind of work contract live there. You could see very low enrollment which is a good thing to a degree, but could delay the academic development of the school. Bottom line though is that it's a good thing one is opening and giving people there choices. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

JimmyGreaves wrote:400,000+++ a year I better get saving or my lottery ticket needs to come up :-(

Like many others I wish had had the money to afford it!
And it does not end there either!
Next comes 4 years of university tuition fees, accomodation and living expenses in Bangkok (?)
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.