One to One Teacher

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
seamus72
Amateur
Amateur

Re: One to One Teacher

Post by seamus72 »

bapak wrote:
seamus72 wrote:Can anyone recommend a 1 to 1 qualified teacher to teach English to a Thai ( reading & writing only ) starting from basics. A couple of lessons a weeks for about 4 months ?

Cheers.
Come in to Sirada - The Learning Centre and get a free assessment and counselling.
Ask for Khun Jeab

See location at: http://learningcentre.co.th/location.html
Well after seeing your recommendation here, we did just that ans went to Sirada, explained my wifes circumstances of being able to converse in English, but unable to read and write. We booked lessons.

Her first lesson a couple of months ago with an English teacher. He came totally unprepared, no pen, paper, or a plan of what to do. The 'teacher' went away the gave her a printed piece of text on a single sheet of paper and said ;
'read that'
'but I cant read English, thats why I am here'
'Just try'
( All words like 'a' and 'it' and 'the', expertly mastered, everything else, nothing )

An hour passes by and at the end he gives her another sheet about the history of the Chinese new year, you know, something really basic that she needed, and says to go home and read and write the answers ?

I called the owner and spoke with him. They were good, and said they would give our money back. The next lesson was with his wife Jeab. She had a few lessons with her, starting at the basics which were OK.

We were then given another teacher. His lessons were good, so we doubled to 2hr sessions, twice a week.
( 1,100 baht a session ) This has gone on for about 4 weeks. Today she made the 10km drive back to the school for her Monday lesson. She waited, and waited, but the teacher didnt show. She called him, and he was in a bar, p1ssed. He gave the phone to a bar girl , my wife said she was waiting for her lesson, The Thai girl then basically said in Thai, that he was sh1te faced, and going nowhere. My wife couldnt get an explanation from the staff there so drove home.

Ah well, what do you expect here really at 1pm on a Monday ?

If I was here full time, I'd have taught her myself, as she needs to improve to prepare for her English tests for relocating to the UK. In any case, anyone who offered here, thanks, but I'm just going to get the books required from Amazon and do as much as I can myself with her.

I think the owners are away out of the country,as I believe the husband is in hospital, so we cant contact them. If you do read this mate, get well soon, but my wife wont be coming back.

Cheers
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

seamus72 wrote:Well after seeing your recommendation here,
I guess you're referring to my recommendation.

You seem to have have had 2 really bad experiences. I must say that, while I'm not doubting you at all, this has never been my experience. I guess you've been really unlucky, and I hope the owners get things sorted when they return. Just a thought, but this is out of character for the school, and it might be worth checking with the owners when they return to see if there were any mitigating circumstances (most of us have been driven off the rails at some time or other).

My son and 2 friends went to their 4 classes as usual last week, and there was no difference whatsoever because the owners were not in place.

I sincerely hope you find an adequate replacement.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

In their defense the owners did post this to inform their customers of possible disruptions: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=25018
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

seamus72 wrote:
bapak wrote:
seamus72 wrote:Can anyone recommend a 1 to 1 qualified teacher to teach English to a Thai ( reading & writing only ) starting from basics. A couple of lessons a weeks for about 4 months ?

Cheers.
Come in to Sirada - The Learning Centre and get a free assessment and counselling.
Ask for Khun Jeab

See location at: http://learningcentre.co.th/location.html
Well after seeing your recommendation here, we did just that ans went to Sirada, explained my wifes circumstances of being able to converse in English, but unable to read and write. We booked lessons.

Her first lesson a couple of months ago with an English teacher. He came totally unprepared, no pen, paper, or a plan of what to do. The 'teacher' went away the gave her a printed piece of text on a single sheet of paper and said ;
'read that'
'but I cant read English, thats why I am here'
'Just try'
( All words like 'a' and 'it' and 'the', expertly mastered, everything else, nothing )

An hour passes by and at the end he gives her another sheet about the history of the Chinese new year, you know, something really basic that she needed, and says to go home and read and write the answers ?

I called the owner and spoke with him. They were good, and said they would give our money back. The next lesson was with his wife Jeab. She had a few lessons with her, starting at the basics which were OK.

We were then given another teacher. His lessons were good, so we doubled to 2hr sessions, twice a week.
( 1,100 baht a session ) This has gone on for about 4 weeks. Today she made the 10km drive back to the school for her Monday lesson. She waited, and waited, but the teacher didnt show. She called him, and he was in a bar, p1ssed. He gave the phone to a bar girl , my wife said she was waiting for her lesson, The Thai girl then basically said in Thai, that he was sh1te faced, and going nowhere. My wife couldnt get an explanation from the staff there so drove home.

Ah well, what do you expect here really at 1pm on a Monday ?

If I was here full time, I'd have taught her myself, as she needs to improve to prepare for her English tests for relocating to the UK. In any case, anyone who offered here, thanks, but I'm just going to get the books required from Amazon and do as much as I can myself with her.

I think the owners are away out of the country,as I believe the husband is in hospital, so we cant contact them. If you do read this mate, get well soon, but my wife wont be coming back.

Cheers
Don't waste money buying books through Amazon.

PM me, if you're interested, and I'll tell you how to teach beginners.

I'll give you a link to an excellent web site which leads you, as the teacher, through the 'jungle'.

In my experience, most learners, and parents, expect too much too soon.

My daughter, aged nine, can read and comprehend C.S. Lewis', 'Chronicles of Narnia'.

The smile on her face when she read her first book, 'The Cat in the Hat', by Dr. Zeuss was memorable.
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

I am Bapak's (Donald) wife and he has been hospitalized in Sydney since 02 October. I have been with him during this period and not able to fully manage the school other than by electronic means. As such, I accept full responsibility of the school management.

I am unable to verify all that Seamus72 has stated except that the teacher did not report to work and I subsequently confirmed that the teacher was drunk. When I received confirmation of this, the teacher was immediately dismissed (this was was done before Seamus72 made his post).

Can make no further comment at this time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm sure I speak for everyone on here in wishing Donald well and hoping for his speedy recovery. He's always been most helpful with his contributions to the forum. All the best. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
seamus72
Amateur
Amateur

Post by seamus72 »

Don't waste money buying books through Amazon.

PM me, if you're interested, and I'll tell you how to teach beginners.

I'll give you a link to an excellent web site which leads you, as the teacher, through the 'jungle'.

In my experience, most learners, and parents, expect too much too soon.

My daughter, aged nine, can read and comprehend C.S. Lewis', 'Chronicles of Narnia'.

The smile on her face when she read her first book, 'The Cat in the Hat', by Dr. Zeuss was memorable.

PM sent. Thanks
Elaine
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Elaine »

Just the opinion of an old lady who likes to intrude in such things....
This school, in my opinion, is the most highly regarded and respected language school in the area. From seamus72 comments, he was aware that the management people were absent for medical reasons. In my opinion he should have PM'd them and stated his views, then if he did not get a satisfactory response, go public on this Forum.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

I would also like to add my support to all the positive comments made about The Learning Centre.
I took Thai lessons there myself and was very happy with the teaching and the organisation.
I have recommended the school to a number of friends and acquaintances and they have all been very satisfied.
One friend is currently attending a Thai course during the owners' forced absence and feels that things are progressing normally.
Don & Jeab are also the nicest, kindest and most helpful people you could meet.
Their business mindset is driven by their endeavour to provide their students with the best possible service.
They were a huge help when my gf was struggling to pass the English section of her MBA and, with their support through selecting the right teacher and following up throughout, she was then able to pass her exams.

If a single employee erring on one occasion can be deemed to constitute a just reason for general criticism of a business, there probably are not very many businesses around the world that would be able to escape such censure.

Get well soon, Don, and we hope to see you back here asap.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:agree: My son went for his class today, and it was business as usual :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18