Thailand education ranked lower than Vietnam and Cambodia

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
PeteC

Re: Thailand education ranked lower than Vietnam and Cambodi

Post by PeteC »

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... ur-the-few

We educate unfairly, and favour the few.....

.....My fear as a mother is not whether or not my daughter can make it in this system, but how she can live safely in a society riven by conflicts and violence amid widening disparity aggravated by this unthinking, unfair education system."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Cheapercharlie: I am not an Aussie, but enjoy their company and find them easy going, full of good humor and polite in a rough kind of way.
cheapercharlie
Warning
Warning

Post by cheapercharlie »

You missed the point of my statement, entirely. Do you have full command of the English language ? Re-read it again, out loud a few times and see if it sinks in. I will simplify it even more for you. What ruins the beauty of Thailand for most tourists ? Is it the uneducated Thais (that this post is about, and you commented on), or is it the White Euro-trash and Aussie-trash ?

I don't enjoy any of them. They are equally annoying: Idiots, Alcoholics and Pedophiles. Read some of your own recent posts: DO you really think you are Blue blood ? Are you trying to imply that you are intelligent ? You are more like "DICK-head" from Locks and damns.
Grim Reaper
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Grim Reaper »

cheapercharlie, such an unprovoked outburst cannot be condoned on this forum. This is your first warning that repetition will result in more permanent action.

Please tone it down.
You reap what you sow
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I think he may not be taking his medication!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I have two kids here, one 17, homework this weekend make a paper marche box, other one 19 at uni, homework this weekend color in pictures in a book. Thai education is pathetic I am confident they will both end up working in shops or doing promotions in malls.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

StevePIraq wrote:I have two kids here, one 17, homework this weekend make a paper marche box, other one 19 at uni, homework this weekend color in pictures in a book. Thai education is pathetic I am confident they will both end up working in shops or doing promotions in malls.
I don't get too involved with my grand children's education outside of paying for it. However, the eldest is sat outside my home today doing her homework. She came here to get a bit of peace from her younger sister, and has been hard at it for a few hours now. I've looked over her shoulder, and there's a hell of a lot of writing going on (of course, I'm nt clever enough to read the content). However, it looks a lot harder than making a paper marche box, and technically has a difficulty factor in excess of crayoning.

Out of interest Steve, are you paying for the education? If you are, why? Your expectations seem low, but can you not find them something more challenging or advantageous? Please don't take the question the wrong way, but if you're not satisfied (and especially if you are paying for it), there must be an alternative - even if it's getting them to work in a shop or doing promotions in malls now. At least they'd be earning now as opposed to a couple of years time.

Even if you're not paying for their education, I guess you're supporting them.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

the eldest is sat outside my home today doing her homework.
Please let her inside if she finishes it, or it starts to rain. :shock:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

She can come in either when she's finished, or I need a coffee :wink:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Even if you're not paying for their education, I guess you're supporting them.[/quote]

Mate I really do appreciate any comments from anyone.

I have bitched about the education system here for ages. one of my earlier posts was about determining school terms, no one could answer even the schools could not answer. We were in Pattaya earlier this year and the dau knew this when the eldest phoned to say she was at home and why were we not there, we had no idea she had a week off. If schools cannot even organize vacations they are lost. After this I visited both schools with my wife who hated me going as I confront the official and as we all know Thais will not. No satisfaction at all.

I pay for both in private education after I realized the shambles of government education. I have been to both schools to discuss and at both the head person only has minimal understanding of English even though they both profess to be strong in English. When the Head could not help me I requested the English master attend and in both cases they did, they tried to deal with the issue but had no way to explain what the Head was stating, it was impossible to get anything clarified.
I have requested a Syllabus = impossible
School term dates - They provide state dates but that does not cover all dates.
I have to state that when the eldest was at Webster that was the worst, even she complained that most days they had no classes.
And yet after all of this they both pass each year. The eldest will pass with two majors, but will have no real education.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yep, you really are going to get me started. I will give a lengthy reply tomorrow. Albeit to say, the Thai education (which rests with the schools) is almost non existant. My daughters attend Salesian school and the headmaster has refused to see me or their mother. Absolutely appalling.

A big response coming tomorrow. It's late now.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

For What it's worth..........

My wife's baby brother (late arrival) attends Hau-Hin Commercial College. He has never had any homework at all. He never leaves for school before 10h00, and despite the fact that he's supposedly learning English, he still cannot speak a word of it. Okay, to give credit where it's due, he can say....

1. Hello
2. How are you
3. I no speak English

Ironically, this school was recently said to be the 5th best school. :lach: :lach: :lach: :lach:

On a slightly different note..............

I have notice a improvement at the school our daughters attend, as far as English is concerned. Our kids also get homework regularly despite the fact that we pay for them to have extra hours at school. My eldest daughter's teacher is a total bloody dragon, and will refuse to allow kids to leave before they have completed their work. A pain in the butt, but it does, in a way, show me that she is trying to do her job.

Coloring in pictures and making things from paper only seem to be "amusement" activities, and neither of our girls have had to do this for homework. Maybe we're lucky, but if I'm honest, then I must say that I'm generally pleased with the school our girls are in, and I think word might be getting around, given the number of Thai/Farang kids attending.

My only only complaint is they could do more in terms of English.

I should also add that the kids don't automatically pass their grades, which is more than I can say about HHCC and some universities.

Steve.................don't worry too much about the education system. Some of the world's wealthiest people also never had the greatest education, but they still made it. :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Sorry, I forgot to add.....

Thailand's education system might be ranked lower than Vietnam and Cambodia, but let's face it, Thailand is still in the lead as a country.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My 15 year old daughter recently had homework given to her. She had to turn a cardboard box into a 'beautiful' handbag. She spent a lot of time and around 300 baht making this. It was deemed 'very good' and has now been thrown into a corner. Arts and crafts homework you might think. No! This was MATHS homework! Did she have to calculate the area/cubic capacity etc? No. Just make a 'beautiful' handbag!

Ten years ago, Salesian School was highly recommended and was actually a good school. It has now turned into a money machine and interest in student's education has become secondary. When my daughter's mother and myself made an appointment to discuss with Fr. Smith the problems caused from excessive, and sometimes meaningless, homework, he sent a message to us refusing to see us and discuss what has nothing to do with us!!

The Education Act of 1999 set out objectives for schools.
At the heart of this National Education Act B.E. 2542 (1999) is a move toward student-centered learning and a student-centered classroom. Specifically, Section 24 of the Education Act outlines what must be done to improve education performance : 1. arranging learning in line with the students’ interests , aptitudes and individual differences ;2. training students in thinking abilities, especially critical thinking; 3.organizing learning activities that draw from authentic experiences; and 4. promoting situations where learners and teachers learn together.

After 14 years, the school has done nothing to achieve these goals. I'm sure most schools are the same which is why Thailand is bottom of the ASEAN community. Some teachers have dubbed this methodology as 'buffalo centred learning'.
In a recent survey, 74% of teachers failed in the level of subjects that they were supposed to be teaching!

This is a statement made by the government in May of this year.

There has been criticism that compared to their contemporaries Thai students spend more time in classrooms, but achieve lower grades in competitive tests and a decision has already been made to reduce these hours in line with the Unesco recommended 800 hours a year as part of increased emphasis being placed on project-based learning as opposed to the rote method of the past.

Based on 36 school weeks of 5 days per week, that works out to around 4 and a half hours per day in the classroom which does fall in line with Europe.

Thailand spends 20% of GDP on education (more than on health) so where is the money going?
The Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec) made these observations:
In a little over one-and-a-half years time we will enter the Asian Economic Community where English language skills will play an important role and this is something we are also intent on addressing

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has recently launched a voluntourism promotion and while there are currently some obstacles that prevent retirees with English language teaching skills in Thailand from volunteering at schools, this is a resource that we may be able to tap into in the future.

These obstacles are obviousley - The Immigration Department!

Also the Education Act states that parents and teachers are responsible for their children's education and what we know as PTA's (parent teacher associations) are to be encouraged.
Salesian's answer to this is that they hold meetings once a year with parents. This consists of parents being invited to listen to the school heads informing the parents what plans they have for the future. At no time is their any input from the parents!!

On top of this, certainly at Salesian and I'm sure many other schools, they still smack students even in upper secondary. My eldest is 15 in M4 and she tells me that smacking of girls/boys still goes on. Teachers seem to think that if a student breaks the rules then they must be punished (I agree). However, if teachers break the law then they go unpunished. There is a website - THAITEACHERS.WORDPRESS.COM who work hand in hand with 'CHILDLINE THAILAND' (a Thai organisation) who are dedicated to removing these lawbreakers from the classroom. Unless the students and parents stand up for their rights then nothing will be done and the message from the school is that it's okay for big people to hit little people!!

Corporal punishment is unlawful in schools under the Ministry of Education Regulation on Student Punishment (2005) and the National Committee on Child Protection Regulation on Working Procedures of Child Protection Officers Involved in Promoting Behaviour of Students (2005), pursuant to article 65 of the Child Protection Act.

This was futher endorsed in January 2011 when the Minister of Education AND the Prime Minister stated clearly, in interview, that striking children for any reason was illegal and unacceptable and that teachers would be punished accordingly if caught.

Ministry of Education Rules also state:
“Any school employee who hits a child should be immediately dismissed and be subject to review of their professional licence”
One of the problems is that only the individual teacher can be brought to task and there is no law making the school heads/directors/proprietors responsible.
Another problem is that students are frightened to report any teacher for misbehaving. Students (and parents) need to get some balls. I've told my daughters that the next time they are due for a 'smacking', they should warn the teacher 'politely' that if he/she lays a finger on them then the police will be involved that very day and they will be reported to the MoE.

So I say to students and parents - Get the balls and the courage to change the system.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Agree with the last three posters, the schools here are a joke.

Ours seem to have more days off than on; Buddha day off, public holiday day off, teacher working elsewhere day off, other grades doing a project day off, half the class prancing on stage and I'm not involved day off ...

In good mind to ask them for a discount. :guns:

We recently had a problem with kids getting hit in class, it is very very common here. Our eldest (who probably deserves it half the time) fell victim to one particular teacher who used to hit him daily, he would also be abusive and swear in Thai at the kids (7-8 year olds). Now I never hit my kids so I don't see why or how someone else can. The other parents were too afraid to speak out as the "teacher" is the son of one of the directors. We went in and complained to the owner of the school and it soon stopped (though, as expected, no disciplinary action was taken).

This whole system of face and not wanting to cause a confrontation leads to more problems than it solves.

I have started taking my kids to neighbouring countries to introduce them to a wider perspective of travel, cultures, cuisine, religions, languages, geography, maths (different currencies), and just about everything that gets them away from the brainwashing of being Thai. This in itself offers far better education than these lame excuses for schools here ... and most of the time costs less.

:rant:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson