webster University

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
collie007
Rookie
Rookie

webster University

Post by collie007 »

hello to all, first post for me ...

Does anyone based there have any information on the Webster University please?

Are the qualifications world recognized ?

Is it the real deal or a cash cow etc ?

thank you in advance for any replies
mafiamind

Re: webster University

Post by mafiamind »

I currently study at Webster here, and I can tell you that the only good thing about the Thailand campus is the fact that it is in Thailand. Webster has campuses around the world, but the campus here in Thailand is at the bottom of the academic totem pole. I am going to transfer to one of their European campuses next semester in hopes of receiving better education/facilities/etc. Aside from poor academic standards, the Thailand campus has no financial transparency. The tuition is not cheap, and they charge fees for things that are non-existent at their campus. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Cheers
collie007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by collie007 »

Thank you for your honest reply.

Such a shame its a s sham uni .

Any information on Stamford University

not allowed to post link as new member

Or is their a legit university anywhere in the area?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Collie, you could help yourself by looking at the education sub-forum on here, link below -

viewforum.php?f=42

(sorry, I should check too - I see you posted in that forum, but search for Webster and others, but I doubt you'll find good reviews anywhere)
Talk is cheap
collie007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by collie007 »

Yeah i did a search but not much up to date information.

Any info on Stamford s please ? or is it possible to successfully do an OU Open University course while based in Thailand ?
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

It depends on what you want to study, but generally speaking there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do an OU course from over here. You won't be able to get an ED Visa for doing so, though.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I found the most difficult part of an OU course was trying to get the money out of the country (to Australia). The bank kept blocking the transactions when paying for a term. It was just over 60,000 and they didn't like it AT all. Had to go in numerous times telling them to allow the bloody thing to pass as... it's my bloody money!

They love money coming in here but they hate to see it going out. ;-)
mafiamind

Post by mafiamind »

I could be mistaken, but I believe that the majority of Stamford's courses are taught in Thai language, while only a few are taught in English. I am not sure how they stand academically, but I honestly would not expect much. I have a few Thai friends that go to Stamford, so next time I see them I will try to get more information and report back.

From what i understand, most of the 'reputable' schools in Thailand are in Bangkok (Chula,Thammasat).
collie007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by collie007 »

Thank you so much for your replies.

Looking like the OU is the best option so ...

Unless I hear different.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

collie . .I sent you a PM.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LolaBeltran wrote:collie . .I sent you a PM.
He can't receive PMs yet.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
collie007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by collie007 »

:(

could u pass the info to me big boy?
collie007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by collie007 »

mafiamind wrote:I currently study at Webster here, and I can tell you that the only good thing about the Thailand campus is the fact that it is in Thailand. Webster has campuses around the world, but the campus here in Thailand is at the bottom of the academic totem pole. I am going to transfer to one of their European campuses next semester in hopes of receiving better education/facilities/etc. Aside from poor academic standards, the Thailand campus has no financial transparency. The tuition is not cheap, and they charge fees for things that are non-existent at their campus. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Cheers
What are the fees working out at per semester?
Is it $6000 per semester as stated on the web site or more?
This is an expensive looking qualification (Mods- hope im not throlling)
just trying to get this sorted ASAP
mafiamind

Post by mafiamind »

Yes, it is around $6,000 during the fall/spring semesters. I think additional fees are in the ballpark of 20,000B per term, which wouldn't be a problem if that reflected what the campus offers. If it helps, I will give you a quick pros/cons type of thing for Webster Thailand.

Pros: extremely diverse student body, ability to transfer to other campuses abroad, ability to study Thai or Chinese languages, small class size (10-30 people per class), accreditation from both the US and Thailand

Cons: located far from town, facilities are in poor condition (library, gym, internet), staff have high turnover rate, some professors have low academic standards (there are exceptions), no financial transparency.

Overall I enjoyed my experience at this school, but it has too many flaws for me to continue my studies at this campus. The Thai language teacher there is excellent, and the diversity of the students makes the class discussions more interesting. The two most negative aspects of the Thailand campus for me is the lack of financial transparency,and the low academic standards in some classes. You could always try it out for a semester and see what you think. Webster itself is not a bad university, but the Thailand campus has much room for improvement.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

collie007 wrote:

:(

could u pass the info to me big boy?
Sorry, but Private Messages are what it says on the tin, private. Moderators do not have access.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20