Thai Framework Qualification (TFQ)

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Thai Framework Qualification (TFQ)

Post by Spitfire »

Seems to be getting more fashionable/popular at Thai universities/colleges these days, including many outside BBK too, that want to get accredited with it as a badge of approval.

I've read a bit about it and sounds ambitious as the attitude changes would be hard for the average student here to make the change, if motivated enough in the first place, which is a matter of great debate.

Seems Mahidol University has run some workshops about it in the past and I have the minutes etc from them.

However, was wondering.............

Does anyone have experience of operating/making a curriculum that is compliant with the inspections for this accreditation?

Does anyone know much about it and can point to some resources on the net?

What do you think about it all, good or the 'Ministry of Optimism' at it again?

Any comments welcome.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai Framework Qualification (TFQ)

Post by dtaai-maai »

Hmm, it's recently been introduced at our place, Spitfire. It seems to me to be a classic case of bureaucratic interference. Lengthy forms to be filled in for each course with trendy headings such as Learning Outcomes, Cognitive Skills, Ethics & Morals (!!), etc. They'll be collected and filed away somewhere without anyone ever reading them. Especially those written in English...
The general approach seems to be to find an appropriate form of wording and stick with it, adapting details from one course to another. The course, needless to say, remains completely unchanged.
They're trying to run before they can walk. Simple changes from year 1 are what's needed, like encouraging students to think for themselves rather than learn facts by rote and regurgitate them for an exam.
Maybe I'm turning into a reactionary old fart, but it strikes me as the sort of nonsense that started ruining the UK education system 30-40 years ago. (And that seems to be a work in progress).
This is the way
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Thai Framework Qualification (TFQ)

Post by Spitfire »

Yes DM, cheers for the reply, it does appear to be a trendy new fad with all the progressive language and all.

I'm guessing that they want colleges to tailor classes around subject like 'ethics/morals/interpersonal skills etc' and on and on and on, as they call it, which they belatedly realise their average student is massively lacking in such qualities. Thing is, if you want to teach this stuff and ESOL/ESL stuff or methodology then you need smaller classes, group/pair work to be possible, wander off into kinesthetic learning and all, which is not possible with 50-60+ classes in the 'rack em and stack em' business model of private schools that ultimately worry about profit.

My place has downloaded some Aussie university approach to it all which all seems fine and dandy and western, but probably won't fly in your average Isaan [or many other average places] city college/university as would take some serious institutional/society change to see it so.

It's funny how the educational system wants to see schools/colleges etc teach students, what strictly, they should receive at home/in the family environment, ie ethics/morals/values. So, am I to assume there is a complete vacuum of this now in the average student in HE? No answer needed to that one.

Maybe you're right, the colleges will just fob off the inspectors on the day of visit to pass, file the relative info and just keep wandering on the same path as always afterwards.

Nothing like substance here in all things huh?

However, perhaps I too, am too cynical.

Edit - Think I got the title wrong, it's TQF
Resolve dissolves in alcohol