Hua Hin Fishing Lodge

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Francois
Professional
Professional

Re: Hua Hin Fishing Lodge

Post by Francois »

Terry wrote:GREAT NEWS TODAY.............................. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :thumb:

HUA HIN FISHING LODGE AWARDED 2014 TRIPADVISOR CERTIFICATE OF EXCELLENCE 8)

Congrats Terry
François
And me, still the most self satisfied of men
I was almost as drunk as myself
(Jacques Brel)
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Francois wrote:
Terry wrote:GREAT NEWS TODAY.............................. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :thumb:

HUA HIN FISHING LODGE AWARDED 2014 TRIPADVISOR CERTIFICATE OF EXCELLENCE 8)

CONGRATULATIONS! Well deserved! Didn't you win this last year too? :bow:
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Thank you Francois and S&F for your congrats

Sadly S&F - No we did not get the award last year :roll:

According to the stats we came very close, but did not quite hit it. :(

Anyway - this year we did and that's great. :cheers: :cheers:

Despite SARS, Yellow Shirts, Red Shirts, Coups and other distractions over the last few years we seem to be continually getting more and more customers - so all the hard work is paying off.

Low season is not so low and High season often sees us turning folk away if they have not booked.

For the coming season we will have our new 'Pool Room' open, Additional ladies WC (Much needed), 2 Shower Rooms, more shelter from the elements, increased security + some 300 or so more fish with more fish oddities being checked out.

Onwards and upwards I hope :thumb:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I hadn't been to the lodge for a few months, so as the weather forecast was promising yesterday (WRONG), I thought a visit with a couple of friends yesterday was well overdue.

Well, what can I say? It was a day of very mixed fortunes at the Fishing Lodge for me.

I lost more fish than I can remember in a single session.

The medium sized Giant Siamese Carp were biting well, and I bagged 8 at 10Kg+. I also had a striped catfish at around 5Kg and an Indian Carp around 7Kg. The Indian Carp, although a beautiful fish, didn't put up any fight whatsoever. I'd have had more fun reeling in a wet sock, but it was brilliant to chalk up another of Terry's many unusual species - must admit, I'd never heard of this one before.

My friends also had quite a mixture amongst their 15, including Giant Siamese Carp, Juliens Carp, Pacu, Red Tailed Catfish, Striped Catfish and funny little silver thing, which must be the smallest breed in Terry's lakes.

The rain spoilt things a little, but not enough to tempt us into Terry's new Pool Emporium, although one of our party did retire to the bar for a little while :D .

All in all, ANOTHER FANTASTIC DAY at the Fishing Lodge - thanks to all of the team, who worked extremely hard to ensure that I didn't get my hands dirty (unfortunately, the rain was so hard, it was hard to keep our footing in the mud, and feet did get a little dirty :cry: ).
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

BB - I shall give my staff a good nagging this weekend
Seems they ain't trying hard enough to get you that ginormous monster that you say exists in our top pond :wink:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I kid you not Terry, I've caught sharks off Looe, raised huge conger eels from the murky depths of sunken wrecks etc. They struggle, but they eventually move through the water.

Whatever it is in that top pond, it's either on megga strength giving steroids, or it's huge - or both :shock: . Twice now I've fought with it for 30 minutes plus, and in that time I'd be surprised if I've moved it more than a few inches.

I've seen those huge Mekong Catfish brought in by kids and little old ladies - yes after an almighty struggle. OK, I'm old, and have fished for a lot of years, but I still have my strength and know how. A huge hunk of me pumping on a fishing rod for 30 minutes plus should have some effect.

You've got something huge in that top pond, which you aren't aware of. I'd love to be the one who conquers it, but I fear that I'm not strong enough.

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I sense a legend in the making, Terry - perhaps you should incorporate the words 'Loch Ness' in your corporate name...? :laugh:
This is the way
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Maybe I should offer a reward to anyone catching ANYTHING in the top pond that is over 30KG. (i.e. A live fish and not an old gas cooker or whatever :wink: )

Now - There IS an Arapaima in the top pond in excess of 30Kg - he is on a diet of baby Nin, Tapien and Duk as his mass destruction duty, before graduating to the bottom pond. For sure he will not take bread as a bait.

If you had hooked that BB - you would have known about it.

I still remain convinced that it is a 25+Kg Pla Beuk - (Giant Mekong Catfish) that BB has been messing with.

Why?
1) Because there are around 25 of these babes in the top pond of which 10 or so could have reached that size by now.
2) The experiences that you have described BB, are typical of the kind of reaction you get from a Mekong when it is hooked.

Not sure whether it would be legendary though

We have bigger and better in the bottom pond - up to 62 Kg. However these are still small when compared to the largest known captured - weighing in at a mere 293Kg
60Beuk.jpg
60Beuk.jpg (74.71 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
Our 62Kg fella
catfish1.jpg
catfish1.jpg (34.82 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
293 Kg sample
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Terry wrote:Now - There IS an Arapaima in the top pond in excess of 30Kg - he is on a diet of baby Nin, Tapien and Duk as his mass destruction duty, before graduating to the bottom pond. For sure he will not take bread as a bait.
Definitely not Terry. My first encounter was before he moved in. Secondly, I have seen kids bring them in. They have a lot less fight than one of your decent Giant Siamese Catfish.

If you had hooked that BB - you would have known about it.
Terry wrote:The experiences that you have described BB, are typical of the kind of reaction you get from a Mekong when it is hooked.
As I've said, I've seen them caught by old ladies and young kids. I know I'm aging, but not that fast.
Terry wrote:Not sure whether it would be legendary though
I think you're under estimating the quality of your stock. I'm telling you, you need Capt Ahab. :wink:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

(i.e. A live fish and not an old gas cooker or whatever )
I don't live far from Terry's place and earlier in the year I got the guy who built my house to come and retrieve an old cement mixer that he'd deserted in the garden!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Are you saying that he threw it in Terry's lake? :shock:

Points 48; Position 20
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

As previously hinted at by BB when he referred to 'Terry's new Pool Emporium'

ANNOUNCING A NEW FACILITY FOR OUR CUSTOMERS

We have finished the extension to our restaurant - this now houses a 4'6" x 9'0" full size, match quality, Pool Table with 1 3/4" thick Italian slate bed. Fitted with the finest Hainsworth 'Fast Speed' Cloth from the UK and complete with Belgium's best "Super Aramith Pro" balls; this table will be exclusively for use by customers of the Lodge.
Pool collage web.jpg
Pool collage web.jpg (106.42 KiB) Viewed 1153 times

So - if you do not want to fish with your partner, or you've caught enough for the day, we now have another top quality facility - exclusively for use of our resident guests and customers at the Lodge.

There is also (at last) a toilet exclusively for the use of the Ladies, plus there are two shower rooms - both (benefiting from softened water) - for those that want to cool off or need to freshen up after sharing a photo with their catch in the pond!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I had another lovely day out at HUA HIN Fishing Lodge yesterday with a couple of friends, and solved a big mystery.

I was fishing from my favourite position - the sala in the corner of the kiddies lake. This was something I had done many times previously. Yesterday, I was getting bite after bite, but I was mostly half a yard too slow getting to my rod where I had always left it.

I was starting to think the aging process had caught up with me quite suddenly. I was barely managing to maintain my goal of 1 fish per hour, yet the fish were biting really well. My frustration was building. Was I really getting old?

The day was kept entertaining watching a friend teaching his son's how to catch fish. They were delighted to have caught some nice specimens (a large striped catfish, an Indian Carp and a Giant Siamese Carp), and they they also 'helped' their dad bring in a nice 16Kg Giant Siamese Carp.

Anyway, back to my frustrations - now made worse by Mrs BB ordering a massage/pedicure, and taking my seat - forcing me to stand in the sun , which fortunately for me wasn't too strong yesterday, but I still suffered as a result later yesterday evening.

I eventually managed to weasel my way back to a smidgen of my old seat. It was now that I realised that there was another of Terry's low season improvements that he hadn't publicised. I hadn't aged at all. I wasn't half a yard too slow. The wooden table/bed/seat in the sala had been moved to make room for plastic chairs. I don't do plastic chairs, so I had declined the offer, and sat where I always had - about half a yard further away from my rod than normal.

I eventually moved out of the sala, and onto a concrete seat - my days fishing which was standing at 4 fish in 6 hours, almost immediately turned into 9 fish in 7 hours. I had been rejuvenated . The tally would have carried on increasing, but Mrs BB decided it was time to go home (2 hours early) .

My tally for the day was 3 Giant Siamese Carp at +10Kg, one Giant Siamese Carp at about 7Kg, 2 baby Giant Siamese Carp at about 2.5Kg, a wet sock Indian Carp at about 5Kg and 2 of the larger striped catfish from the kiddies pond. Quite a good tally after an extremely slow start - should have been more.

I lost a beautiful Giant Siamese Carp, which the usually impeccable bait boy failed to net twice. I don't do photos these days because the slime is quite unpleasant, but this bad boy was going to be my biggest Giant Siamese Carp ever by a mile. When I saw it, I shouted for Mrs BB to switch the camera on. It was obviously camera shy, because as the net went down for the 3rd attempt, it swam off . I actually don't mind that at all, as long as I've seen it, and we all saw this baby a couple of times. Why put the fish through the added trauma of being taken out of the water and having to pose with an ugly git like me?

One worrying element of the day, which I hope Terry takes action on. I'm very sorry Terry, but I damaged 2 of your fish unintentionally. Where I moved to on the concrete seat, there is something sharp sticking out from the bank. Firstly, one of the catfish damaged it's tail on the obstruction, and then one of the small Giant Siamese Carp lost a couple of scales just behind the gills on it. OK, once I realised what was happening, I avoided the obstacle, but the fact there is a sharp object there must be a concern. Those fish provide hours of fun and I don't think anybody deliberately wants to hurt them. If it helps. give me a shout and I can nip up when you're there and point it out to you.

Another nice day day out, and as always, Terry's team were superb. Thank you.

Points 48; Position 20
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Thanks for the update BB

Another 'big one' gets away then.......................... :wink:

As you said - this does not normally happen

Thanks also for your comment re the sharp object - I will get this investigated and removed asap.

I also think that you need to talk to Mrs. BB - going home 2 hours early when you are obviously 'winning' and my fish are playing the game, is well, simply just not acceptable ...................... :|
:cheers: :cheers:
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

We had another delivery of new stock on Sunday last, that included some more Asian Redtail Catfish for the bottom pond - between 7 and 15Kg....................
ARTWEB1.jpg
ARTWEB1.jpg (28.07 KiB) Viewed 917 times
ARTWEB2.jpg
ARTWEB2.jpg (32.72 KiB) Viewed 917 times
ARTWEB3.jpg
ARTWEB3.jpg (34.17 KiB) Viewed 917 times
Also....................

We will be resuming our 7 day/ week opening from Monday 10th November..................so - you now have more time to catch the buggers :roll: