Pool League

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Pool League

Post by Wanderlust »

Hi!
Some of you may know about the Hua Hin Pool League, which has been run very well by Osmo (aka Bamboo Grove) in the last couple of years, along with various helpers from time to time. He is now in the process of departing Hua Hin for pastures new, and, with the approval of others, has handed over the running of the league to myself (also known as Steve) and Magnus. We are in the process of organising the next league, which will be a 9-ball competition starting on Wednesday 13th October. If you are interested in taking part, either as an individual looking for a team to play for, or a bar wanting to join the league, then please contact us, either by replying to this or by sending an email to me, preferably within the next week as we have to set the league format and fixtures.

Bars wishing to join should know there is a 1000 baht entry fee per team to cover administration costs and trophies, and it would generally entail a home match every other week, over a period of up to 6 months (based on last season), where it is generally expected that the home bar would provide some food for the players & supporters. There is also an incorporated Cup competition & a playoff amongst the top 16 individual players at the end of the season. Obviously you also require a suitable pool table & equipment! You would also need a team of at least 4 players (and preferably more) every week. There is no problem with two or more bars joining together to form a team, and equally for every pool table you have you can have up to 2 teams. A player can only play for one team during the season however. The most important aspect of the league is as a social and fun night out, rather than a high level of competition, although some do take it a bit seriously!

Once the season starts there will be a regularly updated page in the HHAD website, as well as the monthly info in the Observer and Hua Hin Today publications, and the weekly update to participating bars. I will also be attempting to post the weekly results and updated table on this forum-watch this space! Please post here if you have any questions, comments or particularly if you want to join in.
:cheers:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Thanks for the nice words Wanderlust. One thing that occured to me reading your post was the number of players. I've tried both formats three players and four players. The advantage in the three player system is that it gives more individuals opportunities to play. As you remember from previous seasons some teams had six players in a match. Using the four player system (I think you'll have 4 singles and 2 doubles) means that two of these get to play only a single or a double. That will cause these players to get bored and they may even quit playing if this happens too often. Most people want to play not just watch their team mates play. If you have the three player format (6 singles and 3 doubles) it gives six players an opportunity to play a single and a double. Just a thought. All the best for the next season.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Hi BG,
We had a meeting to discuss various things, and although I didn't put it in fully in my original post, the 4 player thing is not going to change the number of games-we are still going to play 6 singles and 3 doubles. Also if a team has only 4 players, each player must play at least 1 singles and 1 doubles match;finally if for any reason a team has only 3 players they will forfeit 1 singles and 1 doubles but still play the match. The intent behind these changes is to encourage greater numbers to turn up and make the social side more important than the competition itself. I bow to your experience in these matters however, and will let you know how it goes! Incidentally, because of the number of teams taking part this season we are going to run 2 concurrent leagues, with some form of playoff between the top teams at the end; the season would have been unfeasibly long otherwise!
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

we are still going to play 6 singles and 3 doubles
Ok, should be ok then.
we are going to run 2 concurrent leagues,
This is good, if you have a lot of teams in the following season as well, you might want to consider having division 1 and division 2 based on this season's performances. You could then have promotions and delegation battles as well as championship battle.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Apologies for not having made the webpage yet to anyone who was waiting - it will be done soon! In the meantime the sports page of the Observer magazine website http://www.observergroup.net/sports.htm has the tables updated once a month (although they are a little hard to read). Of course for those living here the magazine itself, and Hua Hin Today also publish these. Hope that helps those of you wanting to know the latest :oops:

P.S. If there is anyone who wants, via email, the full detailed results as issued to the bars every week, if they send me an email I will send them every week.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Pool League page in HHAD (finally!)

Post by Wanderlust »

Ok, I have at last got round to making and sending this to our beloved host :wink: and you can all see the latest tables at http://huahinafterdark.com/hua-hin-pool-league.htm although this will only be updated about once a month due to time pressures. Expect lots of changes by next month :roll:
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Obviously you also require a suitable pool table

This is alawys going to be a problem ,how are you going to address this issue ,the standard of some tables are less than suitable ,more suitable for crazy golf than pool.
Although the league is meant to be a "FUN" weekniight activity there are many who take the events very seriously,and the mention of some bars and the quality of the tables therein raises moans and groans from all players
:idea:split the league into good tables and crap tables(joke) Also would not independent referees be an idea,who are up to date with the correct rulings on play This would stop many a tantrum and save Magnus a fortune in mobile calls . Maybe print some rule sheets up for all the bars in the league

KEEP ON POTTING! :cheers:
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

The issue of the standard of equipment, both the tables themselves and other things like cues & balls, was discussed at a pre-season meeting, raised by myself as i know it is of concern to some, but the people present at the meeting agreed that you couldn't impose a standard for entry to the league, mainly because of the problems in agreeing a standard in the first place, secondly because who would be the judge of this standard, thirdly because even if you got past the first two points the standard of tables declines over time anyway even if they are being regularly maintained, and finally, the main point for the bar owners, who are the instigators (and beneficiaries) of the league is to liven up a normally quiet night rather than operating a 'serious' pool competition. It would be nice to think that any bar which has a table, whether in the league or not, would want to keep it in good shape so that their customers would enjoy playing on it (and the bottom line being that they stay longer in the bar and spend more money!), but it does appear that some do not see it this way (no names mentioned!).
We will hold another meeting towards the end of this season, to both discuss any issues that have arisen as well as planning for the next season and discussing rule changes, so I would suggest that you come along then to raise the issue again. The idea of leagues based on type or standard of table has been mentioned to me before this season but who is going to judge this? It could become a very divisive issue, and although I have my own ideas on what are good and bad tables that does not mean they are the same as everyone elses. As a simple example you may have a bar with a great table but not enough room around it to play an unobstructed shot - would that be deemed good enough?
On your point about rules disputes it should be noted that Magnus and I are just organisers and coordinators - we don't make the rules, just inform on what has been decided and clarify where necessary. We can obviously put forward ideas but ultimately it is the bar owners who are in charge and collectively take the decisions (or those that turn up for the meetings anyway - if something is decided at such a meeting that they didn't attend then they only have themselves to blame - normally a change won't be made unless a significant majority are strongly in favour and no strong objections - this is what I would call the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' democracy!). Independent referees would be a great idea but where are they going to come from? One thing that may satisfy those who crave a 'serious' competition is if those bars with the 'best' tables club together and run individual tournaments alongside the current league, which I would be happy to coordinate (for a fee!), but many bars have said that they don't want another night dedicated to competition - they said this when I suggested playing the league 2 nights a week at the meeting, to shorten the length of the season.
I hope that has covered everything, but anyone reading this is welcome to attend the next meeting to put their ideas and opinions forward - I will announce it on here when a date has been set, but it is likely to be in May sometime.

P.S. On your point about rule sheets - these were given to all the participating bars at the start of this season but no doubt many bars have 'misplaced' them. Magnus and I can provide new copies for any bar that needs them though. I am also considering putting the rules on this website if space permits. This is only worthwhile though if people actually read and understand them however :banghead: :roll:
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

well put Steve :banghead: <- this comment well understood
you and Magnus are doing a great job as was your predecessor Osmo
little Appreciation goes out to the people who actualy get down to putting these events together and the time it takes for behind the scene organisation, but when the flack starts who's at the front line ??

YOU ARE APPRECIATED :thumb:
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Thanks a lot mate, although it does seem that Magnus gets more of the flak than me for some reason :? Funnily enough the teams that you would expect to have the most problem understanding the rules would be the Thai ones such as Rose Bar or Octopussy but they have really been a joy in their approach and attitude. On that note maybe I should attempt to get a translation done so that more of the Thai bars with tables would want to join in? :idea: (anyone who wants to take on that job please apply here!)
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

Hi Wanderlust

Is not the cost now 2000bht per team, i know this was being discussed in the London Lounge the other day.

Seems there is mutiny amongst the ranks, why do you not call a meeting where all the bar owners can be present and discuss this problem.

Still no word on what format you will be playing next year???

Hope it all gets sorted and maybe we can play normal pool and not this American system as the tables are clearly not made for this format.

Mike.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Mike,
You are correct that at the meeting a number of things were talked (shouted?!) about and eventually some sort of agreements were reached, including what the registration fee would be, but it became apparent after that meeting that a significant number of the bar owners were not happy about some of the decisions and more importantly how they were reached. So the plan that was formulated is to form an elected committee as soon as possible to go over some (or all) of the decisions taken already plus anything else that is raised. So essentially what you are suggesting is already happening. What I can assure you is that it will be an 8 ball league in the coming season, although as far as i know all pool is an 'American' game! I don't know if you are a bar owner of one of the participating (or planning to participate) bars but if you are contact Wij as I said above.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Just to recap what was said on the other thread (because my last post on here now doesn't make sense because of the redirected thread!), there is an ongoing process where each bar that is intending to take part in next season's league can nominate a representative to stand in an election to be held the following week. Anyone who has not already been contacted by Wij or Chris should go and see them at London Bar or All Bar Won respectively to find out more. Shortly after the election is finished the elected committee will meet and either confirm or change some of the decisions made at last week's meeting.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Pool League Updated!

Post by Wanderlust »

I thought it was about time to clarify the events of the last couple of months, and to put a few rumours to bed. Firstly, I am now no longer part of the committee that organises the pool league, for those that didn't already know. I apologise to all those who voted for me, but I had a number of good reasons to resign, but mainly on a point of principle which I won't go into here. I am still involved as a player and as the captain of the Johnnie Walker Red team, and I want the league to continue and thrive, from both a selfish reason (I want to play pool) and from a more charitable angle, that it is good for the community. I don't have any ongoing problems or disputes with the remaining committee members, and to demonstrate that I have designed and continue to work on a dedicated website for the league, which is now up and running at http://www.huahinpool.multiservers.com
Sorry for the delay in getting this done but various events have prevented me completing it. However I am now dependent on the committee getting all the information to me every week for it to be updated, and if you browse the site you will notice that there are still some things missing, or in need of updating and most of these are for that reason. In other words - It's Not My Fault! :oops: Having said that, if anyone notices any errors or glitches with the site, please let me know - it does use frames so if you are using a very old internet browser then it may not display properly. Obviously positive comments will be most welcome! (I am not a professional web designer like buksida as you will be able to tell!)
Anyway, for those of you in Hua Hin who are not yet in a team and like to play pool, have a look at the website and choose a bar you'd like to play for, and go and see if they are in need of your 'cue action'! Alternatively go and see one of the committee members - Wij in London Bar, Chris in Sugar Cane (formerly All Bar Won, next door to Johnnie Walkers), or Lek in Rose Bar (opposite Mondo in Soi Bintabaht).
And a final note - it's not about how good you are at pool, it's how much you drink that matters!
:cheers:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Hmm, the league was first run by an Arsenal fan then by a West Ham fan and now it's in the hands of two Chelsea fans (I don't know which team the third organizer supports, though). Interesting.