Govt to ban Songkran water splashing, water guns, alcohol, skimpy clothing - the Songkran 2018 thread

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

Govt to ban Songkran water splashing, water guns, alcohol, skimpy clothing - the Songkran 2018 thread

Post by Big Boy »

Here we go again - you can't do this, you can't do that, but on the day in question, there'll be nobody to enforce it, and it'll all be ignored.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police ... -songkran/

[Edit: title changed to create one general songkran thread.]
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Re: Police to ban Songkran water splashing on all main and secondary roads

Post by buksida »

Looks like alcohol and skimpy clothing will be banned also:

Avoid sex assault: Don't dress sexy, says government
Local authorities are telling women to avoid dressing in sexy outfits as they try to prevent sexual harassment or sex assault cases during next month's Songkran festival.

Department of Local Administration department director-general Sutthipong Chulcharoen said local bodies would arrange alcohol-free zones for revellers, and launch campaigns to encourage tourists, particularly women, to dress appropriately ...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... government

Oh what a fun place Thailand is becoming, the junta are doing a great job of 'bringing happiness back to the people'. :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Yes and the much-feared police force will of course obey the govt order and enforce the directives to the letter.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've learnt in my short time living here that they are full of hot air. When the day arrives, it's no different to the previous year.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well me and my family will be holidaying in Langkawi from the 10th returning after Songkran. Choosing the dates was no accident. I shall enjoy Songkran this year!!!!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I'm sure there will be many who disagree with me, but I for one would hate to see the police enforce any of that which has been mentioned in this post. :duck:

As for splashing water on main and secondary roads is concerned, I think banning it may lead to even more accidents. At least when there's splashing and water throwing, cars and bikes are more or less forced to slow down or stop. Let's face it, most road fatalities over Songkran happen on stretches of road where there's not a bucket of water in sight.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The water dept. could just turn off the water for the day and that would take care of it. Or the police could impose martial law for the day; nobody can leave their house. Songkran could be eliminated from the holiday calendar. I'm sure there's lot of possibilities for controlling the population; Germany, Russia, China, N. Korea; they all had/have solutions to unruliness.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Water Guns Banned During Songkran

Post by 404cameljockey »

Hua Hin Today Facebook page - I think they're a day early, April 1st is tomorrow.

"Water Guns Banned During Songkran
In previous years this illegality has been ignored, however the ban on using water guns will be vigorously enforced nationwide during the forthcoming Songkran celebrations.
An official statement, released today, reminds all revellers that engaging in water fights with water guns is prohibited as pointing simulated firearms at people is no different from pointing real semi-auto handguns or rifles.
The statement says that “water guns can only be used to shoot at targets, and eye protection must be worn. Pointing any type of firearm or simulated firearm at any individual is illegal. As simulated explosives are also illegal, ‘water bombs’ must be small, biodegradable balloons and filled to be no larger than a ping pong ball.”
Penalties for offenders include being ‘branded’ using coloured paste."
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Water Guns Banned During Songkran

Post by HHTel »

Agreed it would make much more sense if issued on April 1st.

This land gets sillier and sillier. However, I would be quite happy if the banned Songkran altogether. But that's just me being selfish.
It's been going on for many many years and is a highlight in Thai 'culture'.

Even the Thai festivals in the UK feature Songkran.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Maybe if they didn't look so realistic.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Water bombs restricted too. I'll have to shelve my plan to drop this from a Bintabaht hotel room window.

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Songkran originated in Yunan, China, where it's still celebrated quite freely and raucously.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

404cameljockey wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:38 pm Hua Hin Today Facebook page - I think they're a day early, April 1st is tomorrow.

"Water Guns Banned During Songkran
In previous years this illegality has been ignored, however the ban on using water guns will be vigorously enforced nationwide during the forthcoming Songkran celebrations.
An official statement, released today, reminds all revellers that engaging in water fights with water guns is prohibited as pointing simulated firearms at people is no different from pointing real semi-auto handguns or rifles.
The statement says that “water guns can only be used to shoot at targets, and eye protection must be worn. Pointing any type of firearm or simulated firearm at any individual is illegal. As simulated explosives are also illegal, ‘water bombs’ must be small, biodegradable balloons and filled to be no larger than a ping pong ball.”
Penalties for offenders include being ‘branded’ using coloured paste."
"Water Guns Banned During Songkran" Good :) Throwing buckets of water is one thing, but water under pressure is dangerous especially with no eye protection, it's common sense.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Throwing buckets of water over motorcyclists is also unacceptably dangerous. Iced water worse. There are a few aspects of Songkran that are way out of control. But at least Hua Hin isn't the worst place to experience it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The tourist Police have issued their 'Songkran, Stay Safe' poster campaign. It'll all be OK then..............
Songkran1.jpg
Songkran2.jpg
Songkran2.jpg (72.47 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Songkran3.jpg
Songkran3.jpg (71.7 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Songkran4.jpg
Songkran4.jpg (86.76 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Songkran5.jpg
Songkran5.jpg (79.58 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Songkran6.jpg
Songkran6.jpg (70.14 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Songkran7.jpg