Hua Hin Kite Festival, March 23-25 2018

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

Re: Hua Hin Kite Festival, March 23-25 2018

Post by Big Boy »

I was only going by what artyoz told us - 2 hot dogs for 40 Baht. It sounded quite reasonable to me. However, probably the plastic sausages I hate, and what do Thais know about hot dog buns? :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well guys, I said I would try to provide an unbiased view of my family's day. I went with Mrs BB, my daughter, my youngest granddaughter and a 3 year old my daughter is looking after.

We must acknowledge that we've been blessed with Cha-Am in recent years. With the best will in the world, this could not be as good.

I’ll start with the 3 year old. She was a bit grumpy, and overdue sleep. As soon as the kites came into view, she perked right up, and all of the way to the car park, it was like having a pigeon on the back seat. All that I heard was, “Wow, wow, wow, wow……………………….” When the stunt kites were flying, she was dancing to the accompanying music. She had the most fantastic time.

Mrs BB headed straight for the food, but was disappointed with the selection, and didn’t buy. OK, this saved me money, but she was expecting the table service she’d have got at Cha-Am. She sat on a grass bank and enjoyed the stunt flying. My daughter and granddaughter basically followed Mrs BB’s lead. Knowing how much food plays in the lives of Thais, I guess they didn’t enjoy it as much as they might have.

My observations:

• Parking - A doddle, very well marshalled. Better than Cha-Am. The only thing that spoilt it was the Bangkokians, thinking they could make their own car parking area, and driving the wrong way around a clearly marked car parking routing system. Very impressed with the parking.
• Main Viewing Area – A large, airy hanger or drill shed, with ample toilet facilities behind (nobody in our party used the toilets, so I can’t comment. However, being a military establishment, I’d expect them to be OK). There was seating, but nowhere near enough. We’ve never failed to find a deckchair at Cha-Am. In front of the shed, was grass banks, which provided addition seating. This area gave a good view of the display field, and was perfect for viewing the stunt kites. Much better than Cha-Am, where the stunt kites were always, ‘over there’.
• Stalls – I’m sure they were there, but I found no kite workshops for kids. At Cha-Am there were always loads of kids trying to fly their home made kites. Outside of that, it was stall after stall selling the same thing – kites. Similar to Cha-Am, but I guess it was a kite festival – you wouldn’t expect to find model cars.
• Secondary Viewing Areas – A few of these down the side of the arena. They provided shade, but not enough seats.
• The Kites – A lot more flying than when I’d driven past on Friday, but nowhere near the same as the Cha-Am displays. Wind did not seem to be a problem. I’m sure, to anybody going for the first time, they’d have been very impressed.
• The Stunt Kites – Very good, but you can only watch clever kites play follow the leader for so long. I was impressed by the multi-kites dancing to King of Kings – that was special. As for the guy in the wheelchair, this venue was much more wheelchair friendly than the sea and sand of Cha-Am.
• Marshals – As you’d expect on a military base, the marshals were very good, and kept walkways clear of people trying to fly their own kite.

Overall, it was what I expected. I’m glad I went, and I look forward to next year, but sincerely hope it moves back to Cha-Am.

Points 41; Position 18
artyoz
Amateur
Amateur

Post by artyoz »

Well fancy that...is anybody surprised that the Army camp wouldnt measure up to Cha am/Beach. Funny that.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It wasn't - there was no way in my mind that it ever could. I guess they wanted to move it closer to Hua Hin, and with Hua Hin's problems of road access to the beach etc, the army camp was a good alternative.

Thankfully for people like you, you won't miss what you've never had.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

They provided shade, but not enough seats.
I didn't get there, but you need to invest in a couple of good quality fold up camping chairs for places like this. Not the cheap Chinese plastic imitations, but the ones sold at the 4WD accessory shops. (they also have a cup holder on them, which you can use to hold a police type baton to fend off ignorant posters :wink: )
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Please give me a link. If they'll support heavyweights, I'd love to buy some.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:56 am Please give me a link. If they'll support heavyweights, I'd love to buy some.
I cannot see a photo of one on his website. He has a dealer in Petchburi, but I am not sure just where. I do not have one with me that you could look at, but I am sure that they are from Australia, so should be strong enough for you.

http://www.vvp4x4.com/
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, thanks - I'll try to look him up, and call in the next time I'm up that way.

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Super heroes take to sky in Thailand's int'l kite festival
Giant fancy kites in shapes of super heroes from 14 countries worldwide took to sky at the Thailand International Kite Festival in southern Thailand's seaside resort Hua Hin on Sunday.

The summer sky above the coastal city has been filled with color as giant kites in the forms of cartoon characters namely superman, transformers and batman and kites in geometric forms soar. All kinds of kites ride the sea breezes, including big kites, little kites, stunt kites, high tech kites and the battling displays of international kites.

Shows of unique Thai kites dancing in the sky, accompanied by Thai classical music Pi Phat ensemble have been the highlight of the event in which flying teams from four countries jointly show off their high-speed flying skills to improvise an air ballet of kites.

The tourism authority of Thailand has invited 20 kite flying teams from various countries, including Switzerland, Germany, France and China. Held during March 23 to March 25, the event attracts thousands of kite enthusiasts from all over the world to the famous seaside destination on the gulf of Thailand.

"We are looking for the best kite fliers in the world, and we know the best ones are in China, namely the two-line teams and the big-kite teams." said the festival's co-organizer, Ron Spaulding.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-0 ... 064676.htm
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This is my first video from yesterday - just looking around the kites.

Stunt flying videos to follow.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Stunt flying:

(my favourite)

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Best part of the festival for me came in 2 parts.

It was near home, so no need to drive through Hua Hin.

Covered area for seating. I hate sitting in the sun. The wind blowing through the covered area was an added bonus and made it possible to enjoy 3 hours of the show.