Loy Krathong, Hua Hin 2017

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

Loy Krathong, Hua Hin 2017

Post by Big Boy »

With other recent events, this most colourful event has crept upon us. It happens Friday this week on 3rd November.

I'm starting this thread so that we can hear what events are taking place in our area. Outside of the expensive hotels, I've not heard of anything yet. I'm sure the hotels are lovely, but not really my thing 0 in fact I have friends who do the hotel thing every year, and have a great time.

I'm assuming there will be the usual parade through Hua Hin on the evening, and there's normally something big going on at Khao Tao. Last year, my family and I floated our boats at Wat Huey Mongkol.

So, I'm looking for ideas as to what we can do this year. A restaurant with it's own pond would be ideal. We loved it at Mr Burger 3 for a couple of years until it closed - such a shame.

What is going on please?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Loy Krathong, Hua Hin 2017

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:With other recent events, this most colourful event has crept upon us. It happens Friday this week on 3rd November.

I'm starting this thread so that we can hear what events are taking place in our area. Outside of the expensive hotels, I've not heard of anything yet. I'm sure the hotels are lovely, but not really my thing 0 in fact I have friends who do the hotel thing every year, and have a great time.

I'm assuming there will be the usual parade through Hua Hin on the evening, and there's normally something big going on at Khao Tao. Last year, my family and I floated our boats at Wat Huey Mongkol.

So, I'm looking for ideas as to what we can do this year. A restaurant with it's own pond would be ideal. We loved it at Mr Burger 3 for a couple of years until it closed - such a shame.

What is going on please?
The tessaban have events on Friday at Khao Tao, opening ceremony 7pm; and Queen's Park 19 Rai sea side with school kids show 8pm to 9pm.

Also kratong contest at Bluport on Thursday culminating in prize giving results at 4.30pm.

Info from this website: https://tiewpakklang.com/6545
Big Boy

Re: Loy Krathong, Hua Hin 2017

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks hhinner, some great information there.

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Sorry. Forgot about the parade on Friday. 6pm from highways department to clock tower. Cheers.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL, I've only lived here since 2012. I've no idea where the Highways Department is. Do you? The last Loy Krathong parade I went to started from Soi 51, 2 years ago.

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I think the Highways Department is on Petchkasem Road, north of soi 51 and south of the PTT station. On the same side as those. Almost opposite the Shell garage.
There's a sign outside saying Highway Patrol District whatever and it's where the brown and white(?) highway patrol cars are parked up.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks lomu :thumb:

I'll have to try driving with my eyes open next time :oops:

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Lomu is correct. A bit north of Hua Hin Soi 68 (where Moo Wanna - the pork shop - is), on the southbound side.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

10 Days of Loy Krathong related events (singing and dancing) start ai 1 Nov at Kone King Petch Park.

kone.jpg
kone.jpg (110.58 KiB) Viewed 1622 times

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

That's a lot of ramwong.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

is there anything happening at Cicada market ??
buksida

Post by buksida »

HAVE A LOW-KEY LOY KRATHONG FRIDAY OR FACE ARREST
Festivities for Friday’s Loy Krathong will be low-key with the usual fireworks, sparklers and sky lanterns prohibited.

Bangkok Gov. Aswin Kwanmuang said Monday that only “polite celebrations” can be organized for this year’s festival, which comes just days after mourning for King Rama IX ended. Anyone who ignites fireworks, sparklers or other prohibited items face up to three years in prison and a 60,000 baht fine.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/2 ... ce-arrest/

Note: that is for Bangkok, not sure how Hua Hin will be.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I read this morning that they've already cancelled 70+ flights in Chiang Mai for the night because of the anticipated flying lanterns. I would think that aspect will proceed, at least outside of Bangkok. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
joyvee
Amateur
Amateur

Loy Kratong best place to go?

Post by joyvee »

I will be in Suan Son but thought this may be a useful thread to start for newcomers to Hua Hin.
Any suggestions re venues which give a good view, are easily accessible and any special themed restaurants?
Looking forward to your suggestions for this coming Fridays event.
yves

Where to go for Loy Kratong ?

Post by yves »

Hi Friends,

Could you recommend me a nice place to put our kratong on the water ?

Thanks