Free Thai Comedy Show (now with photos)

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

Free Thai Comedy Show (now with photos)

Post by Big Boy »

24th October @ 16:00hrs there will be a free comedy show at 19 Rai.
funny.jpg
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Free Thai Comedy Show

Post by dtaai-maai »

Thanks BB, wouldn't want to miss that.
This is the way
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Any dancing girls?

Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh: No need for thanks, I'm only the messenger :wink:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Thank Buddha I'm no longer there! The missus loves those things (still watches them on YouTube) and probably would have dragged me to it kicking and screaming.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

Excuse my ignorance but where is 19 Rai
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

bert91157 wrote:Excuse my ignorance but where is 19 Rai
pechakam road soi 19 near immigration office

:cheers: :cheers:
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

Thanks
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, what can I say? I had 2 granddaughters, who desperately wanted to go - I was sort of railroaded into taking them.

We arrived just before 7. Despite advertising a 4pm KO, the wourd on the ground was it would actually start at 7pm. We managed to get 4 chairs (Mrs BB wasn't going to out) in reasonable proximity to the stage, but looking around, I could only see 3 other Farangs (2 of those left before 9). However, I'm sure there were others hiding their faces - too ashamed to be seen here.
DSC02126.jpg
DSC02126.jpg (102.15 KiB) Viewed 765 times
DSC02127.jpg
DSC02127.jpg (94.87 KiB) Viewed 765 times
DSC02128.jpg
DSC02128.jpg (92.22 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Sure enough, at 7pm the 2 channel 3 presenters appeared on stage, and said welcome........................ followed by about 45 minutes of adverts.

The presenters came back, and had a bunch of kids plus an adult who looked as though he should be battling banjos in the deep South. They were told they had to say PPTV(HD) to win a prize. The first kiddie did what he was told, got shouted at by the female presenter, and we then had to wait 5 minutes while they dried his tears - the poor kid was traumatised for the rest of this section of the show. The rest were told to say the same, but each sang a stupid tune - obviously the Thais understood, but I was baffled. IMHO the only one who did what they were asked to was the traumatised kid. Anyway, despite being scarred for life, they all received a goody bag.

Then it moved into speech time. Loads of hangers on were brought to the stage to say their thing. They all started by reading from the script, but that was obviously sending the crowd asleep, so they all ended up speaking without the script, which I found just as interesting. These speeches were combined with the presentation of various football teams (who had obviously done well recently, so that excluded the sponsor Hua Hin City) . Big cardboard cheques were also involved, but I'm not sure if the teams were receiving, or giving the cash. This must have gone on for about 30 minutes.

Then they brought on 2 Thai movie stars who had just been on holiday in Europe (holiday or working, I wasn't sure) - the showed a few holiday snaps and were basically interviewed about their experience.

Then, more speeches and presentations. They seemed to be giving out trophies to sponsors. So despite failing to buy promotion this year, Hua Hin City's President accepted the trophy they had bought, so the trophy room will not be empty for another year. Again, this must have taken about 30 minutes - Ugh!!!.

Then it happened, the band sprang into life, and there were dancing girls.
DSC02130.jpg
DSC02130.jpg (96.6 KiB) Viewed 765 times
This was followed by the comedians taking over the band as an introduction (we wanted comedy, not musicians).
DSC02131.jpg
DSC02131.jpg (97.8 KiB) Viewed 765 times
DSC02132.jpg
DSC02132.jpg (112.22 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Then a couple of comedians came on and sang (badly) a couple of songs, where the only hint of comedy was one of them taking his wig off after the second song - the Thais liked it :?

There were then 2 comedy sketches, which involved a bit of slapstick (Thais always love that, and were laughing profusely).
DSC02133.jpg
DSC02133.jpg (116.42 KiB) Viewed 765 times
DSC02135.jpg
DSC02135.jpg (104.54 KiB) Viewed 765 times
DSC02136.jpg
DSC02136.jpg (118.53 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Then the lights went out and people went home - no applause, no encores, just finished. As we left a singer came back to the stage and was making some pleasant sounds, but we were going. I told the others to go back and watch, but I think they'd had enough by this time as well.

I would like to nominate myself for granddad of the year in the forum's Oscars awards. This was definitely above and beyond.

Points 48; Position 18
buksida

Re: Free Thai Comedy Show (now with photos)

Post by buksida »

Thai comedy is an oxymoron. No katoeys or custard pies? Was the audience 90% school girls?

You're a braver man than me BB, kicking and screaming I would have been having been forced to sit through that lot.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, the red head in 2133 and 2135 was a katoey.

The audience was a fair cross section of the Thai community + me :cry: . Most of them seemed to really enjoy it.

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Many years ago I was taken to a Thai comedy show in Bangkok that was more of a theater restaurant. There was a guy there that had a HUGE mouth, along with a couple of other guys that can still be seen on Thai TV comedy shows from time to time. These people were world class entertainers, both withThai and English. But the star had to be the guy with the huge mouth! Just to look at him and his antics alone, was enough to bring the house down! If I recall correctly he also used to dress up as a female for some acts. And woe betide any Farangs in the audience, who were mercisly singled out as the butt of jokes!

This was well before the era of "social media" and all the BS that goes with it. Not a mobile phone in sight!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The only guy I thought I'd recognise last night was the guy with the white bob in 2131 and 2132. He seems to appear in almost everything Mrs BB watches on TV. I've always considered him well talented.

All that he did last night was play a drum, play some congos, play a guitar and do a dance where he showed off his fat gut. I honestly thought he had to be the star of the show, but he was little more than a bit player. Mind you, I used to think my stomach was huge (it's not small now), but this guy has serious problems. He'll never be as heavy as I was due to his height, but he's definitely taller while laying on his back.

I must say, I was disappointed with him - I thought he might make the show a bit acceptable for me, but he was little more than the backing band.

Points 48; Position 18
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

thanks big boy for all your hard work on reporting these events. it takes time to edit photos and write these descriptions.
i know because it took time to post the very short train derailment photos and descriptions i wrote.
i always try to contribute in a positive way to the forum, which makes the owners of the forum money.
i hope what i say here is ok with HHTel, he is very smart, and likes to call people stupid.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:The only guy I thought I'd recognise last night was the guy with the white bob in 2131 and 2132. He seems to appear in almost everything Mrs BB watches on TV. I've always considered him well talented.
The following is probably the best know "comedian" in Thailand. As quoted in the Wiki link, he started off in what I was referring to, evidently known as "cafe" places. As it was over 20 years ago I am not sure, but I think that he was part of the group even then. There was also another chap that suffered from some form of "palsy", who had a big head and very little hair. As is very often the case in Thailand, the poor fellow was the butt of many jokes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mum_Jokmok
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!