Opening of Ratchapakdi Park

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Opening of Ratchapakdi Park

Post by joelle »

they had a dress rehearsal Thursday to which everybody could go and it was a very nice show with great fireworks, took some pictures but too big to add here and I don't know how to resize them, but I hope HHTel will put some of the ones his daughter took
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

But what now, I have seen the statues which are quite remarkable, however as usual no information in anything but Thai, so other than standing there for a few minutes why would one visit? of course Thai's will continue to visit, buy flowers etc but I really can't see that any Farang would ever want to go twice or even consider taking a visitor to see this.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

First opening with PM : Mid August
Second opening 12th. Sept with bikes
Third opening 26th. Sept.
Can anybody tell us for when the forth opening ?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

StevePIraq wrote:But what now, I have seen the statues which are quite remarkable, however as usual no information in anything but Thai, so other than standing there for a few minutes why would one visit? of course Thai's will continue to visit, buy flowers etc but I really can't see that any Farang would ever want to go twice or even consider taking a visitor to see this.
Does it look worth 700 million baht?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

It was built by the army using contractors for 700m Baht which is about USD19/20m, given it was completed in quite a remarkable time frame it is unlikely anything went out for public tender so who knows what prices were paid for what is in effect is a huge car park/parade ground of 220 Rai which is 58 football pitches, some very nice surrounding gardens and seven very impressive bronze statues. The land was already an army facility so no funds would have been used for land acquisition.
An exhibitions centre and museum are still to be constructed.
The banks who were instructed to fund the development are now asking for donations to cover the cost.
Personally I would have thought USD20m could have provided a lot more than this but it all depends what the museum will consist of.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

StevePIraq wrote: The banks who were instructed to fund the development are now asking for donations to cover the cost.
That's an interesting concept, instructing banks to give you 20 million dollars and then expecting the public to pay it back.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

I will not donate even 1 satang. It's a Disneyland for Thais.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

How is it even remotely like Disneyland?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Europtimiste, you really practice at being a fool. No more practice needed. You are hereby awarded the title of 'Fool"
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

HHTel, you are free to think and write what you like....as well as I
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I'd still love to hear in exactly what way you think this compares to Disney Land
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The 'Fool' is not going to answer that as he doesn't have an answer. You're asking for him to string together a group of words to make a sentence. Even if he passes that, then a valid argument will be beyond his reach!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

The fool as you say will reply, because he can write and speak in your language, even if he is luckily not from an english speaking country, but most of you are unable to use another language, matter of education, culture and background.
I consider this huge statue park as a show for Thais, for a permanent brainwashing. Those kings are already standing in main squares of various Thai cities, so why put them together in a.... yes kind of Disneyland.
Can anybody tell me where in the world you can find a park with the statues of past kings or presidents ?
Some of you might like this display, but it's not praiseworthy and doesn't deserve so many comments on this site.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Yorkminster, Mt. Rushmore, Notre Dame, Cologne Cathedral, NyiPyiTaw in Myanmar, Tirana in Albania ... not all necessarily parks but certainly statues of multiple kings/presidents/leaders ... to name but a few.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Yes, Frank Hovis, you just confirmed what I wrote. Statues at main squares of main cities. That's normal. By the way Notre Dame is not a King monument, nor Cologne.