Astronomy Club in Hua Hin?

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Astronomy Club in Hua Hin?

Post by Stargeezer »

I hope to spend some time in Hua Hin in March 2014. from about the 8th to 14th.
Are there any amateur astronomers or star gazers living in the area??
I tried to find a place in Bangkok that sells telescopes, but then the big flood made it difficult
to get around on that trip, and I haven't had any luck since. My telescope here at home is too large to take to Thailand.
Star Geezer. from Canada
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Star Gazing or Astronomy.!

Post by hhfarang »

I believe Norseman, one of the forum moderators is an astronomer. I seem to remember some threads a while ago with knowledgeable posts from him on the subject.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Oh, Norseman looks at the stars does he? and I always thought he was just a long range peeping tom :naughty: :run:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

sky90.jpg
It is correct that I used to mount my telescope every now and then in, some dark areas around Hua Hin, but those days are gone due to all the building and construction sites in this town.
But it got to my nerve standing all alone in the dark with equipment worth a small fortune, just waiting to be robbed.
I sold all my Takahashi gear last year and bought myself a new Honda Scoopy instead. :D
Now I only use my fantastic good quality Fujinon 7x50 FMTR-SX binoculars for star glazing.
I've been watching comet Ison about a week but now when it's so close to the sun you have to get up some minutes before the sun breaks the horizon to be able to see it.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Astronomy Club in Hua Hin

Post by Stargeezer »

Is there an Astronomy club of any kind in Hua Hin or the area?
Is there anyone in Hua Hin who is into stargazing or has a telescope?
Right now the chance to see Orion constellation and nebula is very good in Thailand,
not so good in Canada at -20c.
Stargeezer Harvey
Attachments
phpAt2BOSPM.jpg
phpAt2BOSPM.jpg (55.16 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
PeteC

Re: Astronomy Club in Hua Hin

Post by PeteC »

Unfortunately all I could find for you is in Thai. Have a look though and maybe us Google Translate on some of what's listed. Pete :cheers:

http://thaiastro.nectec.or.th/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Astronomy Club in Hua Hin

Post by hhfarang »

Orion can nearly always be viewed with the naked eye. It's one of the few constellations that I can recognize (along with the dippers of course). :cheers:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Astronomy members in Hua Hin

Post by Stargeezer »

Horseman and HHFarang, thanks for your input and information.
My last trip to Hua Hin I brought a small Celestron Traveller scope. It was very low power and
I was actually able to see Jupiter and 4 moons at 40X. I eventually hope to bring or buy a
Celestron Nexstar 4 inch scope for my time in Thailand as it comes with the builtin diagonal and
ability to be an equatorial mount as well. A big plus is the image you see is just like with a monocular.
upright and same as regular viewing. My larger 9.25 CPC scope is mirror image and confuses me
when I look at the moon etc, of if I am past my 2nd drink of the night.
I hope to meet with you guys some time during one of my future visits.
Stargeezer Harvey
Attachments
phpuUS5RHPM.jpg
phpuUS5RHPM.jpg (86.95 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
buksida

Re: Astronomy Club in Hua Hin?

Post by buksida »

Do any of you astronomers know where I can buy a half decent telescope, preferably without having to haul my ass to Bangkok (or do you have one for sale)?

Would complement my online Astrophysics course and be great for the kids - we have very little light pollution where I live.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

You can buy online from a company in Samut Prakan, ThaiExcite.
http://www.thaiexcite.com/Astronomy/
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks for that Norseman, I guess the next question is what to get? Budget ideally up to about 10k, a little over is fine.

The Orion Skyscanner 100 looked ok (typical Thailand though, it is over double the US price). But essentially I'm not really sure what I'm looking at!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Telescopes are divided in two groups. Refractors or the Reflectors.
While reflectors are cheaper due to their consistent of 2 mirrors while the refractors has none but optical glasses, both can be used used to track down most objects in the sky.
I am a devoted Mead and Takahashi observer, and do not like to observe objects mirror like as refractors do.
If you look at the Orion's nebula, you want to observe it just as it looks and not upside down!
The problem with astronomic telescopes is their price.

In order to get a telescope, mounting and ditto computer who enables you take some OK pictures

A Meade ETX 90 will do the job but the money will be flying away.

As Stargazer have explained, his Celestron traveller scope is just a toy for people with enough money, if you really like quality you have to go to Japan and Takahashi or do some Meade googling.
Thank God for Hubble.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Top,floor of the seri centre, srinakarin road a range of meade's eyepieces and other accessories
Also link following may be of interest

http://www.tmktrading.co.th/product-cat ... hp?catid=5
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
buksida

Post by buksida »

Not really looking to spend a small fortune, just want something that will give me half decent detail on the planets (Saturn's rings, Jupiter's moons etc), spot the occasional nebula and pickup things like comets.

Would that one I highlighted do the job or the Orion 80mm (I know the first one is a reflector and a refractor would be better)? Typically these things are stupid prices in Thailand, it is $120 bucks on Amazon and 8,000 baht here - go figure! Looked on eBay and they're a fraction of the price but the other fraction is made back up by the shipping cost.

Thanks Bluesky but I'd like to avoid another haul to Bangkok (6 hour trip for me) and that site has no prices.