[ADVERTORIAL] The Wado Karate Federation

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Re: [ADVERTORIAL] The Wado Karate Federation

Post by Wado-Karate »

prcscct wrote:
Big Boy wrote:....This is not sour grapes, but a problem that Wado Ryu has in Thailand - John accepts it as a problem of living in Thailand.. Thailand has adopted Shotokan, and recognition of another style would mean somebody losing face because they may have adopted the wrong style.....
This all really begs the question why teach Wado Ryu here at all, and why should parents have their kids learn it if they'll be discriminated against in competitions and/or their talent ignored?

Everyone is in Thailand, and Thailand seems to be all Shotokan, so why not adapt to what's common here? Pete
Fantastic news................... the barriers are falling. The Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai Wado clubs where I have taught a few times, were both accepted into the TKF yesterday. They will be passing details to me soon.

This has all been brought about by the probable entry of karate into the Olympics. It seems that if Thailand is to be represented, they have to scrap their stupid political stance, and recognise karate as karate, and not just one style. This really is a major breakthrough.
Karate - The Hardest Part Is Walking Through The Dojo Door

Don't forget, the first lesson is always free with the WKF - absolutely no obligation
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

URGENT CLUB NOTICE

Sensei John sends his apologies, but he has no option but to cancel this evening's karate session. He is tucked in bed, with a very bad cold - sorry.

Don't forget, the first lesson is always free with the WKF - absolutely no obligation
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

A feather Sensei John's cap yesterday.

A couple of weeks, you’ll remember a lady called Nina and her young son Milan from the Kampfkunst Schule in Germany, came to Sensei John asking if he could help them prepare for their entries into the Shito Ryu Shukokai German Cup in Grafenau in Germany, organised by 2nd Karate Club Bayerwald e.V., which would take place soon after their return to Germany. He also ran Nina’s youngest son, Adrian through his routines during one lesson.

Their routines were vastly different to Wado Ryu, and John had to learn them in very quick time from YouTube. Of course, the actual techniques were very similar.

Nina and her family left Thailand a few days ago, and the competition was yesterday.

Milan and Adrian both placed 3rd in Kihon Basics.
Milan and Adrian both placed 3rd
13052522_10156719357455618_1494249076_o.jpg (57.03 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
13063949_10156719357395618_1942980194_o.jpg (51.08 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
Nina made John very proud by taking Gold in her category.
Nina made John very proud by taking Gold
Nina made John very proud by taking Gold
13072145_10156719358395618_1275919655_o.jpg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
Very well done to all 3 of them.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

**CLUB NOTICE**

There will be no kumite training on 1st June. Sensei John sends his apologies.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

**CLUB NOTICE**

Sensei John will be travelling to the UK soon to train/grade for his 3rd Dan.

Last sessions will be:

Children's Traditional Karate - 27 June 2016 @ 19:00
Children's Sport Karate - 29 June 2016 @ 19:00
Adult Tradition Karate - 28 June 2016 @ 12:30
Hua Hin International School - 28 June 2016 @ 15:30 (will include Grading & Assessments)
Private Lessons - 28 June 2016 @ 18:00

Karate will resume:

Children's Traditional Karate - 8 Aug 2016 @ 19:00
Children's Sport Karate - 10 Aug 2016 @ 19:00
Adult Tradition Karate - 9 Aug 2016 @ 12:30
Hua Hin International School - 30 Aug 2016 @ 15:30 (to be confirmed)
Private Lessons - 9 Aug 2016 @ 18:00

I am sure we all wish Sensei John every success in his venture.

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Best of luck with your 3rd dan grading John :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Apologies for the huge quote at the start of this post, but it is very relevant to the post that follows.
Wado-Karate wrote:
prcscct wrote:This all really begs the question why teach Wado Ryu here at all, and why should parents have their kids learn it if they'll be discriminated against in competitions and/or their talent ignored?

Everyone is in Thailand, and Thailand seems to be all Shotokan, so why not adapt to what's common here? Pete
Yes, and that is a huge question. This is the 'abridged answer, as I spent 3 hours writing chapter and verse, and it disappeared into the ether.

why should parents have their kids learn it

There are a lot of reasons, and kumite is near the bottom of the list. Wado Karate is a traditional style and Sport Karate is low in the pecking order.

"Wado" means "the way of peace and harmony" - "Ryu" means "school". Wado Ryu was devised by Hironori Ohtsuka, the first Grandmaster. Hironori Ohtsuka was already a master of Jiu-jitsu when he began to study Karate with Gichin Funakoshi and Choki Motobu. Wado Ryu was a development of Okinawan Karate in combination with Jui-jitsu

Physical Benefits include:

- Improved reflexes and coordination
- Increased performance in all physical activities
- Increased strength and stamina so you feel great all day
- Increased flexibility and weight control for better overall fitness
- Cardiovascular workouts ( heart and lungs ) to keep you in top shape
- Greatly improved balance
- Ability to defend yourself

Mental Benefits include:

- Improved concentration for better work and study habits
- Stress reduction and the ability to relax
- Confidence in knowing you can defend yourself and your family
- Confidence in knowing how to deal with bullies and other confrontations
- A positive attitude toward life through self-confidence and self-discipline
- Self-esteem and your outlook on life
- Respect for yourself and those around you
- Motivation and an 'I Can Do It' attitude

they'll be discriminated against in competitions and/or their talent ignored?

I think this shows where your misunderstanding is. All over the world the various forms of karate are kept seperate, and only brought together in the name of sport. Thailand isn't much different, but barriers are proving to be harder to break down.

Last year I was allowed to enter the Thailand Open, which was primarily Shotokan for Thais, although I wasn't awarded a single point which surprised many, including my opponent, who actually thought he'd lost. The work I did last year has now opened the door for other non-Shotokan competitors this year.

Last weekend I was able to enter another primarily Shotokan event. Many of the referees were the same. This time I made it to the semi-final, and won a medal.

At last weekend's event I was invited to a Goju Ryu tournament being fought in bangkok in August.

All over the world karate styles work within their own circles. They invite outsiders to boost numbers for their competitions. However, when it comes to International level, each style is a closed shop, and each nation has several International Teams who each attend their own world championships. The main international squad is selected from the mini-squads.

Mine is one of 3 Wado schools that I know of in Thailand. Senseis from the 3 clubs are due to meet in August to discuss inter-club Wado Championships in Thailand. When we feel we're ready, we'll stage our own championships - our champion could, in theory progress to the Wado world championships in Japan. My club is affiliated to the World Karate Federation. So talent could/will be recognised. We would invite other styles to boost competition numbers.

Once recognised on the karate circuit, we'll start to get our own referees involved, and as Wado increases, bias should diminish. I myself will be travelling to the UK next year to hopefully gain my 3rd Dan, at which point I will join the referree circuit (following training).

Everyone is in Thailand, and Thailand seems to be all Shotokan, so why not adapt to what's common here?

Yes, the majority is Shotokan. However to get karate into the Olympics, styles need to merge. If Thailand doesn't get real, it will be left behind.

Here in Hua Hin, I'm the only act in town; although I've never told anybody that thay shouldn't cross-fertilize. Actually, what I've just said is a white lie. There is currently a Shotokan sensei in town for 13 weeks, teaching 14/15 year olds in a local school while he's there.

Actually, I support cross fertilization, and I've incorporated the best of the best into some of my teaching, although grading is strictly controlled through our traing syllabus.

Yes, long winded answer, but it was a HUGE question.
As an update to the above post, Sensei John has been teaching a select, small group of kids Sport Karate for about a year now. The good news is that the Thailand Karate Federation (TKF) have heard, and have encouraged his 'Ninjas' to enter next week's Thailand Open Karate Competition - after the problems Sensei John experienced last year, this is a real 360 degree turn. 2 of his students have accepted, and after a lot of behind the scenes tooing and froing, we think it is really going to happen.

Something the kids don't realise is that this will be an event where the TKF are looking for Olympic talent. Karate enters the Olympics in 2020 for the first time, so this will be a fantastic opportunity for the kids to demonstrate what they can do.

This will be a huge International stage for the kids to make their competitive debuts, but Sensei John believes they have the ability to do well.

Unfortunately, this opportunity could not have come at a worse time for John. He is currently in the UK training/grading for his 3rd Dan. However, he has made arrangements for training to continue through to the event, and they will have a coach they know at the tournament looking after them.

So, in answer to the question, the good news is that recognition has come sooner than expected, and hopefully all of the sillyness of the last couple of years can be forgotten. The children have been kept oblivious to the political wranglings in the background, and potential talent is being investigated.

We will bring you the results of the competition as soon as possible after the event.

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Takiap wrote:Well John, my daughter really enjoyed her lesson last night, and she's already nagging to come back. I also know her well enough to know that if she likes something, she doesn't just lose interest after a short while, so you can count on having her in your dojo every Wednesday, unless you would rather she comes on Thursday or Friday instead. Either way, you now have another regular student.

Thanks for your efforts, and for other forum members reading this, please consider taking your kid/kids along. :cheers:

I was just looking through this thread and I came across the above post. Firstly, I can't believe four years have passed.

Most of all, though, I just want to say a very BIG thank you for doing such a smashing job with Kaylene. It seems like it was just the other day that she was going for her first little badge, and here she is today, one week away from taking part in an international championship. Personally, I think it's an awesome achievement, both for her and you.

Of course, a big thank you to your Mom and Dad for all their "behind the scene" efforts and their help.

And finally, all the very best of luck to Doreen and Kaylene. Even if no medals are won next week, I'm 100% confident that both of them will enjoy and learn from the experience.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Such a huge shame. For the 2nd year running, TKF have had an eleventh hour change to their programme, which means that one contestant in this week's Thailand Open Karate competition can not make it, and the other will have to depart for Bangkok at 3am to make tomorrow's weigh in. Not the best way to start in competition.

TKF have also messed up registration, with the wrong photo being tagged to each athelete's badge. If not sorted by 09:00 tomorrow, neither girl will be able to compete.

The club have had a representative at the tournament all afternoon, but the ho-sos in charge will not budge on their mistake. An absolute travesty.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Well, in the end, both girls were able to travel, but it was through the night. I know how I felt just trying to take photos/videos - the camera was very heavy, and I was aching with tiredness. The girls must have felt just as tired.

They both fought well, but what I put down to a combination of 1st competition nerves and extreme tiredness after travelling through the night, they did not perform as well as they are capable of doing. However, the experience of competing for the very first time, and against International competition will probably be remembered for the rest of their lives.

Obviously, they were very disappointed afterwards.

We are now hoping to take them down to the Thailand Coach's home dojo in Krabi in the near future for some special training.

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I agree that both Kaylene and Doreen were at a disadvantage due to being so tired, with Kaylene even falling asleep just before she had to get kitted up for her fight. Both girls were no doubt nervous as well, but certainly not as nervous as I would have been. This was their first competition, and it really was like being thrown in at the deep end. Nonetheless, both performed far better than I was expecting and they both demonstrated that they are in fact ready to be fighting at that level. Neither of them suffered a humiliating defeat so I'm looking forward to next year's tournament.

A fantastic experience, and it is worth remembering that one cannot always come home with a medal.

A huge thank-you to everyone who helped to make this possible. :thumb: :cheers:
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Good luck in your grading next week Sensei John.
Looking forward to the presentation photos.
:cheers:
GN.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Good luck for your Sandan grading next week John. Tom took his Nidan last week and passed. He's changed a lot since he last trained with you! Again, all the best for next week.

Jaime
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Sensei John was awarded his 3rd Dan about 1 hour ago.
john9.jpg
john10.jpg
john11.jpg
Congratulations.

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Fair play to you....

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.