Phu Noi: dolphins to diggers

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
buksida

Phu Noi: dolphins to diggers

Post by buksida »

Thought I'd take a trip down to Dolphin Bay last weekend to catch up with an old friend and check out the place that I last visited 3 years ago.

The little town of Phu Noi is just on the outskirts of Sam Roi Yod national park and can be reached in about 45 minutes by car from Hua Hin. We stayed in a nice little suite with pool and all the trimmings, only a short stroll to the beach.

The serviced apartment can be rented daily or weekly [more details].

The beach and surrounding area is a haven for wildlife and is especially famous for migratory birds. From the accommodation was a view over marshlands and across to the peaks of Sam Roi Yod (which actually means 300 peaks). A great spot for those into their ornithology:

Sunset over SRY

Bird life in the back yard!

The beach front itself had gone through some development however nothing on the scale of Hua Hin. What was disturbing though was the development going on just a few hundred meters back inland, natural palm groves and ecosystems being flattened to make way for more housing ghettos.

Roll out the concrete, a construction site and the makings of hell.

Horizontal palms, this will make a great spot for some more farang houses.

If you get the opportunity go down to visit the area now while it is still natural and the wildlife is still there ... it wont last forever!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Dolphins to Diggers

Post by Sabai Jai »

Sad in many ways isn't it!

I took a drive from Pran Buri river slowly down the coast, as much as you can, to Sam Roi Yod fairly recently, haven't been down there for a few years. I was suprised at both the amount and the insensitivity of the development. In Particular the new stretch of road directly on the sea front, in some places actuallly on what used to be the Beach! Not sure how long it will last, fair chance of parts of it being washed away as the construction doesn't look very well founded.

Colossal number of new houses. Can't help wondering about water supply, Drainage, sewers, electricity and other infrastucture.

Places that are just plonked down in the middle of nowhere without any existing town or community have no soul or identity not to mention schools, hospitals, markets...