Whale Shark off Bang Saphan

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
Big Boy

Whale Shark off Bang Saphan

Post by Big Boy »

TAT have today published photos of a rare sighting off Bang Saphan yesterday. A whale shark playing with swimmers - beautiful. The accompanying text says get to Bang Saphan quickly, or you may miss it, so I'm not sure if it's been around for a few days.
shark1.jpg
shark2.jpg
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Re: Whale Shark off Bang Saphan

Post by PeteC »

Yes, please get it out of the gulf ASAP before it ingests enough plastic to kill it and it washes up on to a beach.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Saw video on tye news yesterday. Always beautiful to see.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Buksida, and we are away...
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

For those who missed the opportunity to swim with this whale shark, we advise ordering some of its meat at the local market. :duck:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
mariad
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mariad »

I think the other shark is more beautiful than the whale shark.
HarleBen
Amateur
Amateur

Post by HarleBen »

I haven't seen this beauty live. I really love to see one someday somewhere.
buksida

Post by buksida »

You wont see one in Hua Hin!

Here is where that one was spotted: http://www.bangsaphanguide.com/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

HarleBen wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 2:06 pm I haven't seen this beauty live. I really love to see one someday somewhere.
Dive a site called Richeleu Rock in the Andaman Sea. They're nearly always there. I shot this there some years ago.
we saw them on every dive over two days.
Whale Shark off Richelieu Rock, Andaman Islands.jpg
Whale Shark off Richelieu Rock, Andaman Islands.jpg (22.12 KiB) Viewed 5200 times
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Went fishing yesterday here in Bang Saphan. Two of us got about 35 dorado. The whale shark hung out, back and forth, for a few hours. It would come by, circle the boat, and take off. Pic is bad, from a Iphone but it looked about 7-8 meters.
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (118.36 KiB) Viewed 4218 times
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

That's clear water for a whale shark. Great photo op for divers or snorkellers!
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
HarleBen
Amateur
Amateur

Post by HarleBen »

hhfarang wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 9:20 pm
HarleBen wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 2:06 pm I haven't seen this beauty live. I really love to see one someday somewhere.
Dive a site called Richeleu Rock in the Andaman Sea. They're nearly always there. I shot this there some years ago.
we saw them on every dive over two days.

Whale Shark off Richelieu Rock, Andaman Islands.jpg
I really want to visit sites near Burma. I hope one day I see it too :)
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

migrant wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:29 am Went fishing yesterday here in Bang Saphan. Two of us got about 35 dorado. The whale shark hung out, back and forth, for a few hours. It would come by, circle the boat, and take off.
Dorado? As in Mahi Mahi? Didn't know they existed down there. Are they common in those parts and only in the summer? How far offshore? What size? More exciting to me than a whale shark.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

deptrai wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:04 pm
migrant wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:29 am Went fishing yesterday here in Bang Saphan. Two of us got about 35 dorado. The whale shark hung out, back and forth, for a few hours. It would come by, circle the boat, and take off.
Dorado? As in Mahi Mahi? Didn't know they existed down there. Are they common in those parts and only in the summer? How far offshore? What size? More exciting to me than a whale shark.
Yes Mahi Mahi. On the last trip we only got one, so maybe seasonal in the summer. We were maybe 5-10 km past Koh Talu
buksida

Post by buksida »

deptrai wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:04 pm Dorado? As in Mahi Mahi? Didn't know they existed down there. Are they common in those parts and only in the summer? How far offshore? What size? More exciting to me than a whale shark.
Here are some we caught on a trip out earlier this year.
IMG_20160719_121756.jpg
IMG_20160719_121756.jpg (198.83 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
They put up a helluva fight and leap out of the water, great fun to fish and great on the barbie.

Incidentally another whale shark was seen off the coast of Samui yesterday.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson