Sam Roi Yot

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
lomuamart

Sam Roi Yot

Post by lomuamart »

I've got a couple of friends over at the moment. One of them is an avid bird watcher (yeah, avian not females) and he's read his guidebook and sees that Sam Roi Yot is the place to be. It's on the Sino-Australian migration path.
So, we could well go down there tomorrow but can anyone educate me about entrance to the national park and especially the availability, cost etc of a ranger.
I know the Dolphin Bay area quite well but I havn't got a clue about parks. I know that it'll cost xy and z but it's a ranger that I'm most interested about.
Thanks for any advice.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Sam Roi Yot

Post by StevePIraq »

Entrance is 200Baht per foreigner, 25 I think for Thai, no idea whether you can get a ranger to accompany you.

Pranburi Forest Park is quite good, Sam Roi Yot is really big going right to the beach
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Do you actually have to pay if you're not visiting one of the attractions? Last time we went, we tried to pay at the entrance, which for some strange reason was manned. They refused our money, and told us to pay at whatever attraction we were visiting. So just being in the park was free. We paid for the attraction we were visiting, and one payment covered all attractions.

A word of warning though. If you don't go to an attraction, you can't pay. As we left the park, there was a BIB tea money collection point set up, scamming those who never had an attraction ticket for 200 Baht each because they hadn't paid. Fortunately, we still had our tickets, so if you do pay, don't bin your ticket until you're out of the park.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've ridden through the park many times on a motorbike and never stopped at the barrier to pay.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I was only there a couple of weeks ago and entered from Kui Buri. Never had to pay anything and wended our way through the park to Dolphin Bay. Never saw anywhere to pay. Even the monkeys were dozing!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

We had to pay to enter the beach area, not at the main entrance to the park, this was just one month ago at Sam Phraya Beach where they have some rental huts.

If you follow the main road right through you do not have to pay even though there are barriers
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Maybe I'm thinking of something else but didn't the Gov initiate a moratorium on park entrance fees until the end of ??? for everyone, including foreign tourists/residents? Pete :cheers: :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

For anyone interested, we went down yesterday. Probably approached the park from the wrong direction (to see the bird life) as we came into it coming from Dolphin Bay. It's much easier to go further south on Petchkasem Road and then turn left (east) at Kui Buri (I think) and the bird watching is only a few kilometers away (we came back that way). There were plenty of signs up in Thai and English for the nature watching lodges.
I'm not sure if we were there at the best time, both of year and day, for bird watching but there's a huge marsh area which is where our feathered friends are. Foreigners had to pay 200 THB to enter this bit, Thais were 40 or 50 THB. There's a road/dirt track that goes north past a couple of observation towers but eventually peters out. The centre has a restaurant that we ate at - decent food, decent prices. It didn't sell beer though!! There are clean toilet facilities and a basic information centre with pictures of all the birds you might see - about 200 species if I remember rightly.
There's also an elevated wooden walkway that goes in a semi circle out into the marshes. Must be around 2km walk in total. Also a number of pagoda type places to rest out of the sun. Unfortunately, about half of the walkway had fallen into disrepair so was closed off but I don't think that made too much difference.
There was plenty of bird life including herons, egrets, swallows and others that I can't remember the names of including some weird looking creatures with red heads, orange legs and blue plumage. They were fun. Very strange calls and not especially good at flying or landing on the water.
All-in-all, it was an enjoyable way to spend a few hours.
We combined our trip on the way back with about at hour at Banyan Golf Course watching the sun go down from Mulligan's Pub with a couple of cold beers.
My friends were impressed with the day out.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

A friend went recently to Chumphon where there is a "raptor mountain". I guess the best time is Sept-Oct and the amount of birds is tremendous (or so he was told)
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Djsin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Djsin »

Hi. So lomuamart, was the lotus ponds full with water again,? We were there in May, but ponds were dried up from drought and fish all dead and very smelly.
Looking forward to living in Sam roi yot, near dolphin bay in January
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

There was plenty of water and fish were swimming about happily.
Djsin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Djsin »

lomuamart wrote:There was plenty of water and fish were swimming about happily.
Ohh that's awesome!! Can't wait to get back there. Moving in January if everything goes well.

Shld be nice n green this time.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Free entrance to National Parks etc. on Children's day for Thais but not foreigners

Park officials normally charge 10-50 baht for Thai children and 20-100 baht for Thai adults, depending on the parks they visit. Adult foreign visitors are required to pay 200-500 baht and their children are charged 100-300 baht.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... ldrens-day