Power is out in Khao Takiab

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Power is out in Khao Takiab

Post by JamesWest »

Power is out in Khao Takiab.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Re: Power is out in Khao Takiab

Post by JamesWest »

Power out from golf course south Khao Takiab to Hyatt Regency
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

My condo is in Koh Takiab and the power is frequency off. I don't really mind it as I have a U.P.S. for my laptops but I don't like the fridge always losing power.
Does anyone have or have considered using a U.P.S. for a large fridge/freezer?
Cheers,
GN.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Ginjaninja wrote:My condo is in Koh Takiab and the power is frequency off. I don't really mind it as I have a U.P.S. for my laptops but I don't like the fridge always losing power.
Does anyone have or have considered using a U.P.S. for a large fridge/freezer?
Cheers,
GN.
I thought a UPS was only good for short power outages? I have an old one for my computer, but all it does is allow me to save my work and shut the thing down properly. It also stops it from being shut down during those occasional 1-2 second cuts.
This is the way
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

I suppose it depends on how large the battery pack is..
I've looked online and most sites do not recommend using a U.P.S. for a fridge/freezer combo due to the current spikes. I will try contacting Hitachi and ask their advice.
:cheers:
GN.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Ginjaninja wrote:I suppose it depends on how large the battery pack is..
I've looked online and most sites do not recommend using a U.P.S. for a fridge/freezer combo due to the current spikes. I will try contacting Hitachi and ask their advice.
:cheers: GN.
Sorry mate, you would need a UPS at least as big as the refrigerator! While you MAY find one big enough to actualy run the fridge, the problem with anything with an electric motor in it, is the high starting current, especialy so with anything with a compressor in it. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Thanks Nereus!

Better write-off that idea then :idea:

Meanwhile I have emailed Hitachi and APC (U.P.S.).

GN.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Ginjaninja wrote:Thanks Nereus!
Better write-off that idea then :idea:
Meanwhile I have emailed Hitachi and APC (U.P.S.).
:cheers: GN.
Does that building have an emergency generator? Should have, as it has passenger lifts / elevators, and presumably emergency lighting in the common areas.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

When I lived in Maine we frequently had power outages, sometimes for a day or so. We, like many there, had a small, portable, generator hooked up to power only the important things, like the frig. Some even had it wired so it automatically came on when the main power went off.

May not be available, or price efficient, in Thailand though
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Nereus wrote:Does that building have an emergency generator? Should have, as it has passenger lifts / elevators, and presumably emergency lighting in the common areas.
Brand-spanking-new genny but it only powers the communal systems..... perhaps I should investigate why and rectify that.
GN.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

JamesWest wrote:Power is out in Khao Takiab.
Wow! now there's a surprise. Just when everyone is singing the praises of Thailand having such a stable electricity supply.

What a rare event this is, and definitely needs reporting!!!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Ginjaninja wrote:
Nereus wrote:Does that building have an emergency generator? Should have, as it has passenger lifts / elevators, and presumably emergency lighting in the common areas.
Brand-spanking-new genny but it only powers the communal systems..... perhaps I should investigate why and rectify that. :cheers: GN.
Have a look around the walkways and see if there are any 220 Volt receptacles / outlets installed around floor level. If there are, check them by plugging something in the next time the generator is running. It is possible, bearing in mind TIT, that they are wired to the common area emergency lighting circuits. ( that is how it is where I am)

If not, then with that fancy drill that you have, a hole in the ceiling space and a short length of wire may be in order. :wink:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

migrant wrote:When I lived in Maine we frequently had power outages, sometimes for a day or so. We, like many there, had a small, portable, generator hooked up to power only the important things, like the frig. Some even had it wired so it automatically came on when the main power went off.
May not be available, or price efficient, in Thailand though
Yes, this is an option if you live in a seperate house. It would not be allowed in a Condo.
Small generators are available, and the connection options are many. :cheers: