Wat Khao Krailat in Khao Takiab

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
Big Boy

Wat Khao Krailat in Khao Takiab

Post by Big Boy »

This is a little embarrassing. I visited a beautiful temple in Khao Takiab today, but I don't know what it's called. Most people visiting Khao Takiab drive straight past this temple on their right (before they turn into the fishing village) and carry straight on to see the monkeys at Wat Khao Takiab. If anybody can tell me the name of this temple, I will gladly change the header.

I've wanted to have a look around this temple for years, but have never been able to find the way in. Today I was determined to find a way in. I drove down Soi 12 to the very end. At this point I was confronted with a huge rock outcrop. When I say huge, I mean 'side of the mountain' huge.
When I say huge, I mean 'side of the mountain' huge.
When I say huge, I mean 'side of the mountain' huge.
DSC03897b.JPG (110.11 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
I had discovered this route once before, but some old woman stood at the foot of the mountain said I couldn't go up. I could see posts carrying cables all of the way up, so nothing was going to stop me this time.
I could see posts carrying cables all of the way up
I could see posts carrying cables all of the way up
DSC03899b.JPG (120.02 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
It was actually quite easy walking, although I think this route could become quite treacherous when it has been raining. When we reached the treeline, we also reached 'proper' steps, which made the climb even easier.
When we reached the treeline, we also reached 'proper' steps
When we reached the treeline, we also reached 'proper' steps
DSC03905b.JPG (135.17 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
All of the time, en-route to the temple, we were passing buildings, most of them abandoned.
passing buildings, most of them abandoned
DSC03902b.JPG (141.51 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
DSC03908b.JPG (151.89 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
We were now on a pretty good pathway, and walking was still good. Views were superb. The pathway was taking several different. There were actually 3 routes, which we later learned all ended in the same place.
Pathway
Pathway
DSC03909b.JPG (148.07 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
The temple buildings were well spread around the different levels on the mountain. There were the usual temple images e.g.:
the usual temple images
the usual temple images
DSC03912b.JPG (125.56 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
the usual temple images
the usual temple images
DSC03917b.JPG (116.01 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
the usual temple images
the usual temple images
DSC03921b.JPG (129.7 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
the usual temple images
the usual temple images
DSC03929b.JPG (125.38 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
There were many ponds/lakes/bridges/waterfalls, all man made, but all added to the ambiance of the place.
many ponds/lakes/bridges/waterfalls
DSC03923b.JPG (161.32 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
DSC03963b.JPG (156.28 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
One of the most stunning things about this temple was the many viewpoints, and their outstanding views.
viewpoints
viewpoints
DSC03962b.JPG (124.13 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
outstanding views
outstanding views
DSC03966b.JPG (111.85 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
outstanding views
outstanding views
DSC03970b.JPG (122.15 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
We did find another way up while we were there, but this involved climbing a lot of steps. I personally think the route we took was more scenic/better.
We did find another way up
We did find another way up
DSC03954b.JPG (147.6 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
This temple seemed to be populated entirely by nuns (at least while we were there). The nuns were very friendly, and didn't seem to mind us wandering around.

As I said earlier, looking around this temple has interested me for a very long time. It was definitely worth the wait, and I will definitely return.

Many more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Re: The 'Other' Temple in Khao Takiab

Post by PeteC »

If it's a nun Wat that's probably why the old woman was trying to block your way before. The whole place could be off limits to men....or she thought it should be.

In photo 929, are they man made concrete rocks along the sides, or did they construct the building over natural boulders? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

WAT KHAO KRAILAT.jpg
WAT KHAO KRAI LAT.jpg
I appreciate your nice pictures and report, thanks !
the name of this temple : Wat Khao Krailat / Wat Khao Krailas / Wat Khao Krai Lard or any other bizarre spelling for วัดเขาไกรลาศ, the only one in thai.
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

I did enjoy the photos ..Thanks..Maybe That will be my next photo trip when I get back...
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:In photo 929, are they man made concrete rocks along the sides, or did they construct the building over natural boulders? Pete :cheers:
They were natural with the walls and roof built around them.
Gérard wrote:Wat Khao Krailat / Wat Khao Krailas / Wat Khao Krai Lard or any other bizarre spelling for วัดเขาไกรลาศ
Thank you - I will rename the thread Wat Khao Krailat

Points 41; Position 18
Roel
Guru
Guru

Re: Wat Khao Krailat in Khao Takiab

Post by Roel »

Good find Big Boy and thanks for the expedition photo report. Enjoyed it very much.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:If it's a nun Wat that's probably why the old woman was trying to block your way before. The whole place could be off limits to men....or she thought it should be.
I've given this some thought, but the world's cleanest Gents public toilet was right in the middle of the temple grounds. Why have a Gents toilet if its ladies only? And if they did, why would they keep it so clean if it shouldn't get any visitors?

Points 41; Position 18
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

I have already visited a few nun wats without seeing any restriction for men.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

A Thai girl first took me there. Been back about a dozen times, mostly for the peace and quiet. It's set up for visitors, with water for sale (sometimes), fish food and bathrooms. I've never seen monks, only the ladies in white. My Thai friend said when monks are there, they're secluded.

The wat has a changing pack of dogs. Sometimes they're mellow and barely notice people passing. Sometimes the set will be territorial, barking and confronting. I bring dog treats for those, turning them into instant friends.

Never knew about the way up from the end of Soi 12. That's worth a hike some morning.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Homer wrote:A Thai girl first took me there. Been back about a dozen times, mostly for the peace and quiet. Agree 100% - you can sit and watch the world go by beneath you, but hear very little.It's set up for visitors, with water for sale (sometimes) We found a fridge that looked as if the contents were for sale. I took a small water and put 20 Baht in the collection box., fish food and bathrooms. I've never seen monks, only the ladies in white. My Thai friend said when monks are there, they're secluded.

The wat has a changing pack of dogs. Yes, there were signs about dangerous dogs, and they did come charging and barking at us. As usual, I stood my ground and talked nicely to them. They stopped their barking and walked away - this method works 90% of the time (I always keep my right boot in reserve). Sometimes they're mellow and barely notice people passing. Sometimes the set will be territorial, barking and confronting. I bring dog treats for those, turning them into instant friends.

Never knew about the way up from the end of Soi 12. That's worth a hike some morning.I don't think you'll be disappointed - it's a steady climb - not at all dangerous. Just be careful if its wet. I think a drop of rain could make this route slippery.

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

When we were last there about 10 years ago there were a few monks but they didn't take much notice of us. It seems a relatively poor temple compared to the one at the bottom of the hill, Wat Khao Lan Thom. It used to be that nearby Wat Khao Takiab was the richest temple around and was always crowded at holidays and weekends. But that was before the commercial enterprise (seems like to me) known as Wat Huay Mongkol got built. Haven't been to Wat Krai Las since then as the Mrs didn't like the climb up the stairs.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhinner wrote:Haven't been to Wat Krai Las since then as the Mrs didn't like the climb up the stairs.
Go the Soi 12 route - not so severe. and will give you a completely different perspective.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The mystery has been resolved/confirmed. Somebody has kindly sent me this:
20140409100837.jpg

Points 41; Position 18
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Big Boy wrote:
Homer wrote:The wat has a changing pack of dogs. Yes, there were signs about dangerous dogs, and they did come charging and barking at us. As usual, I stood my ground and talked nicely to them. They stopped their barking and walked away - this method works 90% of the time (I always keep my right boot in reserve). Sometimes they're mellow and barely notice people passing. Sometimes the set will be territorial, barking and confronting. I bring dog treats for those, turning them into instant friends.
The first time I visited, we successfully used the 'stand your ground' technique. Later it occurred to me that giving them dog treats might shut them up sooner and keep them from barking on subsequent visits. Both were true, which cut way down on the dog's barking disrupting the peace and quiet. Besides, I like how feeding strange dogs changes their whole attitude in seconds.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Great info on places to visit arounf Hua Hin as usual, the view from up there looks great.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.