Wildlife killings at Kuiburi National Park

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
buksida

Wildlife killings at Kuiburi National Park

Post by buksida »

Lingering doubt concerning wildlife killings casts a pall over ecology success story
A dark cloud descended over the beautiful Kui Buri National Park in December of last year after the discovery of 18 mysterious deaths of gaurs (Indian bison) — the investigation is still ongoing, the park is still closed and the troubled history of the national park continues.

Located in the Prachuap Khiri Khan province, around 290km from Bangkok, Kui Buri National Park was once home to one of the largest pineapple plantations in the country until controversy enveloped the area in the late 90s when pineapple farmers, desperate to protect their crops, poisoned, electrocuted and shot scores of elephants.

It is for this reason that, unlike the majority of foreign tourists, many Thais of a certain age do not associate Kui Buri National Park with safari. Up until December, however, that's exactly what it was - teeming with elephants, gaurs and even tigers. "Unmissable", "Must See", and "Unseen Safari of Thailand" are typical comments from foreign tourists who have visited.

The attraction of Kui Buri National Park is that travellers can see elephants in droves and it's quite a common sight to see 30 or 50 of them grazing. Both the proximity to Bangkok and affordability has helped place this national park into a noteworthy attraction during the last few years.

The national park entrance fee is 40 baht for Thai citizens and 100 baht for foreigners, while car rental is available for around 700 baht for a day-long adventure.

Although nature lovers have been going to Khao Yai or Thungyai Naresuan to watch animals in the wild for many years, there are still qualities about the Kui Buri National Park that sets it apart from its competitors.

Full Story: Bangkok Post
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Wildlife killings at Kuiburi National Park

Post by Big Boy »

Wow :shock: I was thinking of visiting Kui Buri National Park soon - didn't realise it was closed at the moment.

The only reason I haven't been already is that I'm struggling to find visitor information - does anybody have a reliable source please?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Wow :shock: I was thinking of visiting Kui Buri National Park soon - didn't realise it was closed at the moment.

The only reason I haven't been already is that I'm struggling to find visitor information - does anybody have a reliable source please?
Not a strict guide but this might be of some help
http://worldbirdwatching.wordpress.com/ ... onal_park/
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

You might find the info you want here

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/e-book ... _th_en.pdf
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you very much for the 2 links - both excellent. I think the bit I was looking for was
To spot wildlife you have to go to Payang substation and rent a car and a guide.You cannot walk by your own.However it’ s allowed to walk and do some birding around the headquarters area.
Just got to wait for the park to re-open. I hope it gets publicised better than the closure.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Park dept to reopen Kui Buri

The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation plans to reopen Kui Buri National Park in Prachauap Khiri Khan to tourists in June.

The park was closed following the deaths of 24 rare gaurs late last year following an outbreak of a disease not yet specified.

The national park is expected to reopen on June 1 since there have been no further reports of any gaur deaths since the end of December, acting department chief, Nipol Chotiban, said at a press conference yesterday.

The department decided to close Kui Buri National Park in December following the discoveries of the gaur carcasses. It also banned local tour operators for taking tourists to areas where gaurs were known to roam.

Full Story: Bangkok Post
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

S'funny how the death of Gaurs by some unknown disease that was reported/discovered at the end of December last year mysteriously cleared up & no further deaths had been reported since December last year..that means the 'disease' was probably a certain form of (hot) lead poisoning, or there were only 24 Gaurs there in total.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Yes, the usual dithering and/or mis-reporting. There is a big diffence between mouth and foot disease, and foot and mouth disease. It was posted, I think in the in the Bangkok Post, a couple of weeks ago the they has decided it was foot and mouth disease. :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Kui Buri Nat'l Park ready to reopen

http://www.bangkokpost.com/most-recent/ ... -to-reopen

The Kui Buri National Park is ready for reopening following an eight-month closure precipitated by the death of nearly 30 wild gaurs there.

Prawatsart Janthep, chief of the park in Prachuap Khiri Khan province, said Friday the park will reopen as soon as the director-general of the Department of National Parks' Wildlife and Plant Conservation division signs the order.

Reopening the park will help local residents, as many generate income from tourists, One immediate impact is that authorities will now require visitors to use locals' vehicles to tour the park, Mr Prawatsart said. The vehicles will be sanitised to prevent disease from spreading.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nick NCFC

Post by Nick NCFC »

I finally managed to go see the animals on Sunday this week and a thoroughly enjoyable day it was to.

The wife managed to contact them after weeks of trying and ascertain it was open so off we set, very easy to find and well signposted from Petkasem road the road was also surprisingly good once you leave the main road and head to the park.

Once you arrive at the park you pay your money and are allocated a guide and a driver. I took my parents who are over from the UK and the total price was 1300 Baht. I got in for Thai price with my D/L.

Once disinfected and in the park you drive around the various vantage points and the rangers contact the guide with updates on animal sightings. We saw elephants, Gaur, various deer, wild boar, birds galore and thought the whole experience fantastic. The animals are some distance away so binoculars are essential but the driver lent us his.

One note of caution not many of the guides speak English so try and go with a native speaker and contact the park before you go to ensure they are open.

This was one of the best days I have had in Thailand and so much better that going to see the tortured captive elephants that are around Hua Hin.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (31.05 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.5 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
buksida

Post by buksida »

Great post, its on my list - do you need to book the guide first or can you just rock up?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you Nick NCFC, I've been waiting for confirmation that it's open again. I'll make a visit when Champions League finishes.

Points 48; Position 18
Nick NCFC

Post by Nick NCFC »

buksida wrote:Great post, its on my list - do you need to book the guide first or can you just rock up?
You just rock up and they sort you a guide but best to check the park is open before you leave on 0852661601
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Points 48; Position 18
Nick NCFC

Post by Nick NCFC »

I also have the number of one of the guides who was very happy to give it to us so anyone we knew could contact her if they had trouble getting through on the number I posted above.

I won't post it but would happily PM it to anyone interested.