Phraya Nakhon Cave

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
mermaid
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Phraya Nakhon Cave

Post by mermaid »

Chromeman wrote:Going to visit the cave next Wednesday as part of the "Sea cruise on 'The Peacock'" with Mermaid Cruises.
Big Boy wrote:Really? I didn't realise the cave was part of the Mermaid tour. Make sure you wear sturdy footwear. I found a good stick to help my balance a good aid as well. Be ready for a good climb :wink:
You can also take our speedboat and cross to the National Park to walk up and visit the famous Phraya Nakhon Cave.

Hi CM and BB,

Just for the sake of clarification:
Visiting Tam Praya Nakhon has been included as an option in our Sea Cruise/Monkey Island trip for some time.
This has been the case since the Sam Roi Yod National Park started demanding payment of the 200 baht entry fee even if we only visited Monkey Island (which is within the boundaries of the national park area).
Unlike the other boat tour operators, we then decided to make full use of this by offering our customers the chance to make as much use of the national park as possible.

We absorb the entry fee in the cost of the tour - so no extra charge to be paid.

As our speedboat is currently out of operation, we are using a local boat to ferry our passengers from the Peacock to the national park at present.

@ Chromeman

Re your comment:
Chromeman wrote:Yes, have to try to get over to the cave right after we arrive at Monkey Island while others are snorkeling.
We have never ever stated or suggested in any of our advertising material that snorkeling is possible on our tours.
Although this has been claimed by other operators in the past, it is absolutely untrue - the seabed is sandy in the Monkey Island area and there are no reefs to speak of.
Having said that, the beach at the national park is beautiful white sand and is very clean.
The water there is also normally very clear and perfect for bathing.

We look forward to seeing you again on Friday for the Ampawah tour.
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

OK, I guess I extrapolated a bit when I conferred snorkeling from "a relaxing swim". ;-)

Still, I am looking forward to the next two trips! :D
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Don't forget Terry's challenge - a photograph to do the Pavilion justice. :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

Not having been there, I really can't say, but there are some nice pictures available via Google Images!

I don't think I would try to do that! I am as far from a master photographer as it is possible to come! ;-)

And my equipment is probably not good enough for the task even if I was one.

I only have an old Nikon D60 with the AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm lens that was included in the package, plus a Sigma 70-300mm lens.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

has anybody any tips to add about the "shorter" walk up to this cave, where the boat drops you on the beach and then it's ONLY a 430 meter climb? (I am breaking out in a sweat just thinking about it)

and can anybody confirm that I get this boat from small village of Bang Pu?

any tips welcome !!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

MDMK wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:19 pm has anybody any tips to add about the "shorter" walk up to this cave, where the boat drops you on the beach and then it's ONLY a 430 meter climb? (I am breaking out in a sweat just thinking about it)

and can anybody confirm that I get this boat from small village of Bang Pu?

any tips welcome !!
When they're operating!*

Otherwise it's another climb and descent, then a few minutes walk before you get to the main one.

*If the seas a bit choppy, they don't.

It's a pretty rough rock strewn path, best to wear good walking shoes and definitely not flip flops as I did (forgot walking shoes and thought 'what the hell'). But loads were doing it in trainers and sandals.
Talk is cheap
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

thanks Caller, I actually think I am going to take a rain check on this one. Just read Bigboys 3 full reports on Facebook, and I ....... he mentioned it was tough to keep your balance on some bits (that's worrying for me as I am a bit wobbly balance-wise at the moment, and have unexplained fainting turns). Then he mentions something about should be warnings at the bottom for mobility impaired people... that's worrying for my husband as he is registered disabled. He can walk, but is far from spritely on his feet. Then to top it all off we're both from Holland (well I am not originally from here) and freak out when we see a mild hill in Scotland or Wales. Come May when we're there, less tourists will probably mean more chance the boat isn't running, so I think we'll save this one till we can do whole winters in Hua Hin. Thanks anyway, would have been ticked off to get there just to find out the boats weren't on.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's a shame, it's a beautiful trip. I am probably as unfit as they come, but I did it, and I was wearing my trusty Crocs. I took my trusty stick to help my balance, and did the climb in short spurts. Allow plenty of time, and you'll be fine. There's a rest area half way up. I'd suggest an extra bottle of water. When I did it, there was a welcome beach bar at the bottom of the main climb.

If the boats are running, there will be touts waiting at the ticket booth. I seem to remember them shouting after me saying that I was crazy, and would die if I didn't take their boat. As I couldn't get my leg wet, I had no option but to do the double climb, although the 'friendly' warning was concerning. If you catch the boat, you will miss out on some stunning views (we also encountered a group of beautiful monkeys on that stretch).
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

I won't lie, the monkeys are making me reconsider

and my husband REALLY wants to do it. He is into photography and it *is* a unique photo op

could you say BB, if route A is with the boat and takes ??? say 45 mins ???? at a leisurely climb

how long would say your route takes?
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Did the boat trip about twenty years ago, vaguely remember parking in a temple compound and getting a local boat together with my brother-in-law's family to the beach.
We had the beach to ourselves that day, and not everyone wanted to climb up, but coming upon the pavilion in the cave was quite surreal.
วินเชนท์
Feedingtime
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Feedingtime »

Its great to see inside but the 2 climbs does take its toll on you,with the heat and the rocks but my kids did it ages 5 and 8...with a bit of complaining but nothing major,just a bit of hard work........we didnt realise there was 2 mountains to climb and took a while to do the first one...30 mins or so and then walk a bit to start second one which is just as hard or harder than first one then when done have to do the reverse..was getting dark by time we finished and everyone disappearing so allow plenty of time,i if i ever did it again then would take the boat to the beach so would just do the main climb to the cave temple but there was no boats day we went maybe as we arrived late afternoon as we didnt want to be too hot.....but it will make you very hot.The beach is nice there and has places to buy food/drink and ice cream.
i recommend take plenty of water or can buy at bottom of main mountain.
I think if i was 60 years up and not too mobile/active then could be very hard,we see lots of people who were struggling to do it and you must be quite steady on your feet as all rocks mainly and you dont want to slip on a fairly steep part.
Most of us had aching muscles in the legs for next few days after but i think we were all glad we did it.
Summary: worth it if you can do it..so if you already active and could do a brisk 3km walk in this heat then you probably be ok but if you cant and stairs are hard work for you then give it a miss.